Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2008
Leeds, UK
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm going to replace my only source component ( an Audio Research CD8 player),  with a CD Transport and separate DAC. 

The CD8 is still a high class player and the tubes in the output stage gives it a lovely sound to my ears.  Unfortunately it has only a digital output, no digital inputs.

The Separate transport and DAC will enable the following

1) add a roon ready streamer feeding the into the DAC in the future. This is intended for the discovery of new music that i would probably buy on CD.  

2) adding a digital DSP processor between the Transport and DAC so as to sort some troublesome room modes. By doing this digitally i hope to degrade the sound as little as possible. The Mini DSP SHD studio has been suggested and i know this has a streamer built in

The new front end will feed into a Krell 222 Preamp and then into ATC Active 50's

budget around £10K new or used

I'm happy to embrace options that involves selling the Krell, or things that combine functions

Your suggestions please 

Last edited by a moderator:

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There really isn’t any need to spend that much, you could use your PCs drive to play CDs if you  prefer a dedicated CD transport Choose one whose CD mechanism is still manufactured.

Playback software such as Roon has inbuilt parametric EQ as do an increasing number of Dacs, state of the art performance is relatively inexpensive.

Keith

Reactions: uzzy

mtbmarkymark

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2008
Leeds, UK
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@PuritéAudio

You make a good point about making sure the transport is still made, i will take that on board.

I am aware that some DAC's have EQ built in. Can you suggest some names please

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm going to replace my only source component ( an Audio Research CD8 player),  with a CD Transport and separate DAC. 
The CD8 is still a high class player and the tubes in the output stage gives it a lovely sound to my ears.  Unfortunately it has only a digital output, no digital inputs.
1) add a roon ready streamer feeding the into the DAC in the future. This is intended for the discovery of new music that i would probably buy on CD.  
2) adding a digital DSP processor between the Transport and DAC so as to sort some troublesome room modes. By doing this digitally i hope to degrade the sound as little as possible. The Mini DSP SHD studio has been suggested and i know this has a streamer built in
The new front end will feed into a Krell 222 Preamp and then into ATC Active 50's
I'm happy to embrace options that involves selling the Krell, or things that combine functions
Your suggestions please 
I’m not too familiar with this subject, so apologies if I’m missing something, but if you’re going down the DSP route, why do you need a DAC? From my understanding the DSP device is ADC —> processing -> DAC. Unless of course you can and want to bypass the DSP device’s DAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@PuritéAudio

You make a good point about making sure the transport is still made, i will take that on board.

I am aware that some DAC's have EQ built in. Can you suggest some names please
Another option is to ‘rip’ your CDs or my preference take a subscription to one of the lossless streaming services, Quboz/Tidal, and only rip the CDs which aren’t on the service.

Then you wouldn’t have to worry about failing Cd transports and a whole new world of music would be opened up to you.

A small dedicated computer would store your ripped CDs , run Roon which is my favourite playback software , connect that to a DAC and that’s it, control the computer with an IPad .

Keith

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
RME ADI2 I believe has some capability in this area.

As for a Transport & DAC combo, have a look at the 4 box Lector (CDT7 Transport, 2/24 valve DAC, + PSUs for each) again its valve based and is a stunning performer. Keith (MF1000) recently picked one up used for £2.5k and is loving it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lots of DSP / EQ processors are ADC ....signal processing in the digital domain then DAC to deliver multiple analogue outlets.  The Behringer DCX2496 units I use takes L&R analogue inputs allowing digital crossover/eq functions to deliver up to three pairs of analogue outputs to feed you amp or amps

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
RME ADI2 I believe has some capability in this area.

As for a Transport & DAC combo, have a look at the 4 box Lector (CDT7 Transport, 2/24 valve DAC, + PSUs for each) again its valve based and is a stunning performer. Kieth (MF1000) recently picked one up used for £2.5k and is loving it.
The Lector 4 box CD Transport & DAC (with valve output stage) ....seperate PSU for the transport & DAC is performing really well and I'm looking forward to judging against others once the lockdown is eased.  

Kawasaki kr1s

Wammer
Nov 28, 2016

Your suggestions please 
Could be Interested in the CD8 can you pm history details And a price 

zekezebra

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
Hereford
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe a different way forward:

Up to a few years back I was using a high-quality C.D. transport (Bel Canto CD-2) into an external DAC but decided on a completely different route:

1.      Rip all my C.D.’s to an external SSD – with a back-up on a further drive

2.      Plugged directly into a Roon Nucleus hard wired to my network so no wi-fi drop outs. You can also roll your own with a NUC P.C. and Roon ROCK

3.      Roon and Tidal subscription

4.      Nucleus plugged into my existing DAC

5.      All controlled by an Android Pad 

Since then I can see only positives with instant access to not only my C.D. collection but a host of music on Tidal.

Just to add this was simplicity itself to set up as the Nucleus already came with all required software and picked up my SSD collection and DAC on switch on.

• Upvote
Reactions: PuritéAudio

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
As people have said, I wouldn't buy a cd player now, just get a great dac / streamer and use your existing

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
See if you can get a minDSP SHD  (not SHD Studio) to demo to see what you think of it connected direct to your speakers. If you liked it then it would save you buying a seperate DAC and you could sell the Krell.

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe a different way forward:

Up to a few years back I was using a high-quality C.D. transport (Bel Canto CD-2) into an external DAC but decided on a completely different route:

1.      Rip all my C.D.’s to an external SSD – with a back-up on a further drive

2.      Plugged directly into a Roon Nucleus hard wired to my network so no wi-fi drop outs. You can also roll your own with a NUC P.C. and Roon ROCK

3.      Roon and Tidal subscription

4.      Nucleus plugged into my existing DAC

5.      All controlled by an Android Pad 

Since then I can see only positives with instant access to not only my C.D. collection but a host of music on Tidal.

Just to add this was simplicity itself to set up as the Nucleus already came with all required software and picked up my SSD collection and DAC on switch on.
That is also my personal solution, I like the Roon interface very much and the software has been absolutely solid.

Keith

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There really isn’t any need to spend that much, you could use your PCs drive to play CDs if you  prefer a dedicated CD transport Choose one whose CD mechanism is still manufactured.

Playback software such as Roon has inbuilt parametric EQ as do an increasing number of Dacs, state of the art performance is relatively inexpensive.

Keith
As I read the chaps post I was thinking as you so I'll just second what you've said

No need to waste money like that 

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No

Latest posts