Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A new cycle is being started by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra under Semyon Bychkov, and featuring the soprano Chen Reiss.

It is on Pentatone (their first Mahler cycle) and is the CPO‘s first Mahler Cycle since 1982.

I think it would be interesting to hear.

BTW, what is your favourite rendition? I love the Maazel/Vienna Phil with Kathleen Battle.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, Bychkov. That could be interesting! I'm very fond of his Brahms symphony cycle.

I generally prefer individual recordings of each of the symphonies rather than cycles, but I certainly look forward to this one.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve never heard the Maazel 4th, though I know it was always rated. I like Fischer and the Budapest Orchestra very much. Was never sure about Bernstein’s boy soprano version.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember seeing Bychkov decades ago in the RFH, and being told on good authority that he would be the next Karajan. He certainly knows how to conduct, especially in the sense that he uses each arm/hand individually.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's my favourite Mahler? None of it. Not as bad as Bruckner, but headed in that direction.

After 10 minutes of Mahler I need an hour of Ravel to recuperate.....

• Haha
Reactions: Klassik

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's my favourite Mahler? None of it. Not as bad as Bruckner, but headed in that direction.

I’m with you Bruckner, not on my favourite composer list, even remotely. But then haters say all Mahler symphonies sound the same!

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
During the last 2 years of his life, my Dad started getting into Mahler. That was over 20 years ago, and I don't think the rest of the family has worked out why, yet.
Elder senility? :p

Klassik does like Mahler's Symphonies Nos. 1 & 5, but even then, Klassik does not listen to them very often. Mahler's music represents a bit of the 'kitchen sink' approach of putting a little bit of everything into a work and those overly large Germanic late Romantic era works are not Klassik's preferred style of music. Klassik does hold Bruckner's music in higher esteem...especially the Bruckner Symphonies Nos. 5 & 8. Here again, Klassik does not listen to them all that often, but they are pretty good IKO. Sometimes it's best to take these in movement by movement.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m with you Bruckner, not on my favourite composer list, even remotely. But then haters say all Mahler symphonies sound the same!
I can take #4 downhill with a following wind, it has nice moments. But Mahler just makes me feel slightly sick - it's spooky music. I once knew a string player who fled the stage in #9 because it was making her feel ill. With Bernstein making an exhibition of himself on the podium I reach for the bucket.

• Haha
Reactions: Klassik

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was just wondering - how are you supposed to ride it?
With Bruckner at least, the best place to start are his scherzos from his symphonies. They're probably the easiest thing for someone to enjoy. Also, for those who like brass, Bruckner has a lot to offer if one focuses in on the brass in his symphonies.

For Mahler? :D Klassik is not sure if Klassik has much to offer you there. ;)

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Bruckner's symphonies (from no.3 onwards at least) are excellent. I was not a fan in my teens, but warmed to him later. The thing with Bruckner is that even though you know what you're getting, because he has a perfectly laid-out method, it doesn't dampen the surprises and excitement. His symphonic-level counterpoint is pretty much second-to-none.
When I saw number 6 at Utrecht's concert hall I was waving a warlike fist as the double basses/celli kick in on the scherzo. What a scherzo! Number 3's is also a corker. Beautiful adagios too.

Mahler is a tougher nut to crack, because his symphonies aren't fully methodological like Bruckner's He'll jump from a tearful adagio, to a polka, to a waltz or a snippet of a folk melody. Anyone who isn't alerted by the striking opening trumpet fanfare of No.5 and moved by its beautiful, languorous adagietto, is surely dead?

Reactions: Nopiano and Klassik

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I've said it before but there should be a 10 year moratorium on new Mahler and Bruckner symphony recordings. I love both composers but I have too many great recordings to choose between already.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I've said it before but there should be a 10 year moratorium on new Mahler and Bruckner symphony recordings. I love both composers but I have too many great recordings to choose between already.
I know what you mean. I sometimes think the same about Tchaikovsky symphonies, or Beethoven piano sonatas, but then something comes along that’s very welcome.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've loved most of the Bruckner and Mahler symphonies all my adult life.
I can't see that changing for whatever time is left to me.
Bruckner, especially. Just glorious.

Reactions: culturecrammer

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
one year later..... well I somehow seem to have obtained Bychkov/Czech Phil recordings of Mahler 4 & 5.

4 is absolutely superb, just glorious. It runs my favourite Maazel/VPO/Battle very close indeed.

5... not so much, I don't like this symphony all that much and this recording didn't change my mind. it seems a bit draggy in places, especially in the 3rd movement scherzo, one of Mahler's best individual movements which should skip and bounce along but it just doesn't here.

But that 4th makes up for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.