Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Guys, thanks for all the comments and I have considered the Kef options. Slightly difficult to change the cables as one side runs across a door threshold and it would mean carpet up etc. and I'm trying to reduce the upheaval as much as I can. I have heard a smaller set of Spendors, in a late friend's system before but I wasn't totally convinced, although that could have been the Cyrus/Rega kit feeding them? Regarding stand mounts, slightly reluctant to go that route as we have pets (think delinquent Wildebeests thundering around) so floor standing are hopefully more stable.

Reactions: chris_bates1974

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hate it when people read your budget or requirements, and ignore them whilst recommending something else....

That said - so sorry - I feel it would be remiss not to mention the KEF options. Neither of them fit strictly within your parameters. The R5 cost a little too much, and the R3 are standmount. However, if you bought the R3, you could also buy new cable within budget, and I have seen the R5 used close to walls.

The main reason I am keen to recommend them , is that the R3 I have, are run through a Primare amp (I22 DAC) and are bloody awesome....
what is wrong with recommending alternatives?! That is the point of using a forum for advice :sleep:

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve owned LS50 Metas. Great speakers but that rear port means they need to be placed far into the room away from the front wall…

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Guys, I expected alternative suggestions, so don't stress. Whatever I end up with I expect to sound very different to my current speakers, not least because of their age. If I didn't have 'domestic' considerations to take into account, then I might well be open to trying almost anything but like a lot of us we have the good lady to consider and my system is set up in our Living Room so compromises will be made. I'll let you all know what I end up with once I've had a listen to some floor standing options.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, as promised, I said that I would advise how things went. Myself and a friend had a little trip out today to Analogue seduction to listen to the Wharfedale Evo 4.4 and the Fyne Audio F501 speakers. The dealer was brilliant, no pressure and a comfortable, warm demonstration room.

Being totally honest, having read the reviews and having you're guys input, I was prepared to and fully expecting to spend my full budget and end up with the Fyne's. All great plans and that, things didn't quite go to plan!

When we got there we were shown in to the demonstration room and the Wharfedale's were already set up and waiting. I was expecting to not really gel with the aesthetics as they had chrome circular bezels around the drivers and the bass drivers had chrome bullet dust caps. They looked way more refined and classy than I was expecting 😳 how they can do book matched real Walnut veneer for the money is beyond me.

Next the listening, not what I was expecting. These are true three way speakers and the separation and top to bottom integration was a pleasant surprise. Various torture tracks followed and nothing seemed to phase them.

Change of speakers and the F501's followed and as much as this felt alien and almost guilty, they sounded so much more shut in and muddled through the mids? The bass definitely went lower but I couldn't get past the upper bass and mids which seemed thicker and more homogeneous than the Wharfedale's.

I really wanted to like the Fynes but to both our ears, sound will out and just to be sure, the Wharfedale's went back in.

One track in and a decision was made. Yes, it was the Wharfedale's, even though it was the more budget option. They just sounded way more open and separated with a much wider, airy and deeper soundstage.

Now, whilst the amp was similar (a Primare i25, mines a Primare i32) and the cd player was a Rega Apollo and mine is a Tom Evans hot rodded Pioneer it was close enough to give me a flavour of what was waiting at home.

They need running in, but I suspect that I am not going to be disappointed.

So, just over half the cost I thought that I would be spending as I took the demonstration speakers, so a deal was done but it proves that it is soo important to listen to the kit before committing to the purchase.

Thank you all for your assistance but I'm off to run some speakers in!

johncu

Wammer
Wammer
May 23, 2011
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats, I’d recommend changing the supplied plates linking the speaker terminals with some cable links as there’s a subtle improvement to be had, enjoy your new speakers👍

Reactions: Boycie

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I read this thread and thought of this reviewer. He loved the Wharfedale standmounts and also reviewed some Fyne Audio standmounts at a comparable price. The new Wharfedales do look extremely good for the money.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am being totally honest in saying that I was shocked at how good they are. For the money, there should be a lot of worried competition out there.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Always makes for a great thread when advice & recs are tested in real life and a nice feedback update is given. Just goes to show that no amount of reading reviews replaces real hands ears on experience.

Hope you enjoy the speakers 👍

Edit: also nice to hear the Analogue Seduction- who appear to have a prominent online position- can still back it up with a great face to face experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.