• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

New Sumiko Starling has arrived.

JohnyT

Wammer
Aug 14, 2022
Broadwey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I made a couple of post a few days ago about an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze failing after just a few hours. Long story short it was going to take longer than I was prepared to wait for a replacement so was offered a discount on the Starling.
Took about half an hour to mount it etc and I just had enough time to play a couple records before my wife reclaimed the lounge. I'll have to wait until this evening for a proper listen but I'm already extremely pleased. It may not be the fairest of comparisons given the small listening time, however I feel this has been a blessing in disguise. The Starling feels more engaging and exciting than what I remember of the Cadenza Bronze. Also feels more of a natural progression from the MP-500 it replaced. There's probably a bit more tweaking to do, once it's had 20-30 hours I'll revisit some adjustments.

sumiko.jpg

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I made a couple of post a few days ago about an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze failing after just a few hours. Long story short it was going to take longer than I was prepared to wait for a replacement so was offered a discount on the Starling.
Took about half an hour to mount it etc and I just had enough time to play a couple records before my wife reclaimed the lounge. I'll have to wait until this evening for a proper listen but I'm already extremely pleased. It may not be the fairest of comparisons given the small listening time, however I feel this has been a blessing in disguise. The Starling feels more engaging and exciting than what I remember of the Cadenza Bronze. Also feels more of a natural progression from the MP-500 it replaced. There's probably a bit more tweaking to do, once it's had 20-30 hours I'll revisit some adjustments.

sumiko.jpg
So how's your starling singing. Is it a beautiful morning recital or a noisy, messy little devil 😊

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Starling feels more engaging and exciting than what I remember of the Cadenza Bronze. Also feels more of a natural progression from the MP-500 it replaced.
Nice looking cartridge out of interest, what arm is that?

JohnyT

Wammer
Aug 14, 2022
Broadwey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So how's your starling singing. Is it a beautiful morning recital or a noisy, messy little devil 😊
After 30 hours it's opened up very nicely. I've settled on a tracking force of 2.1g just slightly above the recommended 2g. Antiskate at a fairly light 1.5. I originally had this set much higher going by the Hi-fi News LP. But after properly reading the manual they suggested 2/3 value of the tracking force. This has elevated the already very impressive finer details. So just goes to show you can't rely on measurements and tests alone.
It's reaching extremely well at both the lower and higher end with amazing separation. The whole presentation is superbly engaging, musical and highly addictive. It would of clocked up 100 hours by now if I hadn't a business to run and so on.
Great synergy with the rest of my system which I think now as a whole is where I want it to be.

If your looking for a cart in the £2k range I highly recommend it.

Reactions: hiesteem

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Antiskate at a fairly light 1.5. I originally had this set much higher going by the Hi-fi News LP. But after properly reading the manual they suggested 2/3 value of the tracking force.
Good shout . With any cart the 2/3 rds is my starting point .

Reactions: hiesteem and JohnyT

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After 30 hours it's opened up very nicely. I've settled on a tracking force of 2.1g just slightly above the recommended 2g. Antiskate at a fairly light 1.5. I originally had this set much higher going by the Hi-fi News LP. But after properly reading the manual they suggested 2/3 value of the tracking force. This has elevated the already very impressive finer details. So just goes to show you can't rely on measurements and tests alone.
It's reaching extremely well at both the lower and higher end with amazing separation. The whole presentation is superbly engaging, musical and highly addictive. It would of clocked up 100 hours by now if I hadn't a business to run and so on.
Great synergy with the rest of my system which I think now as a whole is where I want it to be.

If your looking for a cart in the £2k range I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the feed back, especially where cartridges are concerned. What's the rest of your system?

JohnyT

Wammer
Aug 14, 2022
Broadwey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the feed back, especially where cartridges are concerned. What's the rest of your system?
The system is:
Technics SL-1210G
Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl phonostage.
Yamaha A-S1200 Amplifier
Isol-8 Mini Sub Axis Conditioner
KEF R7 Speakers
REL T5x Subwoofer

• Thanks
Reactions: hiesteem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
egs