• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

New system help please

SeNtIeNtMiNoRity

New Wammer
Jun 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So just a quick update, I went to a bricks and mortar shop to try some gear out.

Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 + Kef R3’s = No lows at all

Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 + Dali floors standers (I think Opticon 8) = Woolly with no definition

Rotel RA-1572 + Dali floors standers (I think Opticon 8) = Bigger sound but lacked highs

Rotel RA-1572 + B&W 702 S2 floor standers = incredible with electronic music, put some metal on and the bass player left the room

Considering I listened to a £6000 system (without streaming or cables etc.) and thought it was great until I changed genre I’m extremely disappointed.

I won’t be bothering at all, I’m not sure if it’s down to the setup of the room with the treatment or poorly set up equipment but I think I’ll buy a Naim Mu-So 2 instead, my current little Qube sounds better than anything I heard and it was £600.

At least I saved myself £6000!

Thanks to everyone that’s chimed in.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So just a quick update, I went to a bricks and mortar shop to try some gear out.

Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 + Dali floors standers (I think Opticon 8) = Woolly with no definition

Rotel RA-1572 + Dali floors standers (I think Opticon 8) = Bigger sound but lacked highs

Rotel RA-1572 + B&W 702 S2 floor standers = incredible with electronic music, put some metal on and the bass player left the room

Considering I listened to a £6000 system (without streaming or cables etc.) and thought it was great until I changed genre I’m extremely disappointed.

I won’t be bothering at all, I’m not sure if it’s down to the setup of the room with the treatment or poorly set up equipment but I think I’ll buy a Naim Mu-So 2 instead, my current little Qube sounds better than anything I heard and it was £600.

There is no right answer in music production or HiFi as each person makes their own choices based on their own preferences. Wondering if you also listened to the Muso at the dealers in the same room? Some dealers rooms are rubbish and this may not have helped.

But hey if you saved £6000 then a UDO Super 6 or the new Oberheim from Tom would be where my money would go instead! Best of luck.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My studio is in bits but I've had Tannoy Reveal Monitors driven by either a Quad 303 or a 405-2 (the latter sounding more authoritative). The monitor send from the Studiomaster Series 5 16:8:2 desk fed the amplifier.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s a shame, I feel you’ve not had a real taste of a good system that could be had on a relatively low budget. If your happy your happy, all the best.

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I wouldn't use the Dali opticon 8s with a Rotel amplifier i would use the Dali opticon 6s or 8s with Yamaha A-S 2000 upwards or Marantz PM 8006 upwards as theses speakers need control & grip from the amplifier .
I have owned the Dali opticon 6s . 8s and now Robicon 8s and i use a Yamaha A-S3000

timmytiger

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2013
Essex costa
AKA
Tim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice pair of used Focal SM9s on Funky Junk at the moment.

£3k actives, balanced inputs so make sure you have enough voltage, input sensitivity is adjustable.

Could be worth a trip down with your laptop or phone, they should have a lead to connect.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My suggestion:

Use LS50 Wireless 11 - preferably with the KC62 Sub as the reference that has to be beaten.

A separates system I would recommend:

Node 2 -> Arcam SA30 -> Kef S50 Meta (+ KC62)

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’m thinking of swapping out my £87k living room stereo for my £400 Milwaukee site radio …£40k of that consists of 4 cables and 3 hifi rack setups….as much as I love my freaking site radio I can’t see it quite replicating the living room system for absolute sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
languyengoc