Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not very impressive really free service will be US only . £9.99 for CD Quality and staying at £19.99 for any hi res material .

Reactions: DUVET

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am sceptical as to what the £20 tier will offer over the £10 16 Bit 44kHz tier.  MQA seems to be smoke and mirrors.  Might consider adding the £10 tier to my Qobuz subscription to fill in some gaps.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree that the CD level would for me at least be fine and all I would need but I was never able to get along with Tidal even at the hi res level both for sound quality and GUI issues I have tried twice with two free trials but ended up ending them both after about a weeks use.

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tidal had become uncompetitive and I believe their top tier still is.  There is no shortage of 24Bit 96-192kHz albums on Qobuz at lower cost.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In what way? Their full high-res service is only about 80p more per month than Tidal's CD quality tier.
Qobuz charges £13 a month or less if you buy  a years worth. Tidal is at £10. But they were both at £20 a month, not too long ago and then  Qobuz started reducing prices, both are faced with serious competition from Apple and Amazon.

So Tidal reduce prices to £10 for CD. Qobuz is still at £13 but does offer high-res. I suspect Qobuz enjoyed its financial lead and will respond and also try to remain competitive again the big boys before Spotify joins in. And hopefully, Tidal's move to offer musicians a tiny bit more money may also encourage others.

And the fun bit in all this is, most are making a loss.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Qobuz charges £13 a month or less if you buy  a years worth. Tidal is at £10. But they were both at £20 a month, not too long ago and then  Qobuz started reducing prices, both are faced with serious competition from Apple and Amazon.

So Tidal reduce prices to £10 for CD. Qobuz is still at £13 but does offer high-res. I suspect Qobuz enjoyed its financial lead and will respond and also try to remain competitive again the big boys before Spotify joins in. And hopefully, Tidal's move to offer musicians a tiny bit more money may also encourage others.

Qobuz was £15 until about 2 months ago. Now only £10.83 pm if annual sub. and it has proper HiRez. Yes Amazon is cheaper but not by much unless you have Prime account. Tidal and Qobuz were very niche compared to Spotify and Deezer. 

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

The Qobuz annual subscription works out at £10.83 per month, hence my 'about 80p' comment above, for the full high-res service. Which is why I don't see any particular need for Qobuz to 'respond'. Arguably Tidal have just responded to Qobuz' recent price drop actually.

jcr71

New Wammer
Sep 30, 2021
Southampton
AKA
jason
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
if you were to subscribe to Tidal from an Argentinian ip address it would cost about £1.10 a month. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online