New XLR suggestions please

Patu

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2019
Finland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've went through several XLR-cables with my active speakers in the last year and finally settled with Belden 8402 (done by MCRU with silver plated Neutrik connectors and I think they use some kind of silver solder). This is quite a legendary Belden model and there's plenty of discussion of it when you google the model. It's also very reasonably priced so doesn't hurt much to try them out. Some other dealers also stock this cable.

Few cables I have auditioned with this setup:

Vovox Sonorus Direct S (this was my choice for a long time, 8402 betterd it in clarity and bass reach/punch)
Belden 8760 (these I kept as backup cables)
Mogami 2549
Grimm TPR
Linn Silver XLR
Supra EFF-IXLR

Reactions: Metatron and bencat

hexx

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2015
London
AKA
pav
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Might be an unpopular opinion here, but I can clearly hear the difference between my Siltech 330i and 550i.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Might be an unpopular opinion here, but I can clearly hear the difference between my Siltech 330i and 550i.
Your view is your view and has just as much relevance as anyone elses view . I freely admit to being unable to hear anything but a very minor difference between XLR cable s . However i can very clearly hear differnces in RCA cables and speaker cables so not being a stuck in the mud here just being honest . I also hear profound differences for me to LPSU supplies and Switches in a network . Lots on here do not and tell us all that there can not be a difference , but sadly for me in my syste and with my music there is a difference and I choose to use all of this pointless gear to make music sound better (even through a mono Squeeze Radio) . So no need for any apologies just keep being honest and tell us all what you hear .

Reactions: Fullrange

Amrik

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 15, 2013
Birmingham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just about to buy some Neotech NEI - 3001 cable to make up some XLRs between my PS Audio DirectStream DAC and Mark Levinson 331's (bridged) . Seen lots of good reviews but it's pretty thick wire to work with.

Never really made my own cables before but I can use a soldering iron. Worked out at just over £400..... not so cheap in the end ...... as needed to double up on cable on each side 6metres in total .

I wasn't prepared to pay extortionate amounts of money to have commercially available interconnects made up to bridge the amps. Most companies were asking for as much as the cost of the cable itself.

Let's see how it goes !

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d recommend xlr from a shop selling and outfitting studios. They’ll be properly engineered, high build quality, sensibly priced and minus audiophool tomfoolery unobtanium quantum tunnelling veil lifting cryogenically aligned crystal matrix bespoke artisanal PRAT voodoo mumbo jumbo tuned cable technology.

B4EF9FDA-B829-4689-B597-7CF5DB0AC87D.jpeg

Last edited:

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not one for spending a lot on wire and had my whole rig run via used, late 90s Audioplan Musicable which had improved the SQ significantly over the VD XKE (RCA) ICs I'd been using. However, middle of last year I acquired my Nord monos and needed to use XLRs, initially I used some borrowed VD studio grade and got Nick to make me up a pair in the Mogami which won his shootout (with Neutrik plugs) . This improved things further and I happily used this for around 8 months.
Earlier this year (June?) I wanted to move the Nords out of the rack and onto the floor so needed longer XLRs, having just had a tax rebate I decided to splash out a bit so ordered some Chord Shawline online (no brainer as able to return if nowt special). DAMN!!! What a difference, the Shawline lifted SQ to a whole new level (to my ears). So much so that I went ahead and changed my complete IC loom to Chord Shawline, and so happy I did, aside from the usual adjectives, to me it just made the sound more coherent, and at a price that was reasonably sensible. In fact I'd say Shawline is the sweetspot in Chords range.
Give some a try, you can always return it if it's not for you.

Amrik

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 15, 2013
Birmingham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yep, Chord cables are pretty good. I used a Signature Tuned Aray digital cable between my Bryston Player and DAC until I purchased the PS audio DAC a day or two ago . The Chord cable made a significant improvement over the much older Transparent Audio cable I had been using before this.
I think I'll buy the Neotech cables over the weekend. That will be my maximum level of spend on cables - EVER. Promise .... I think.

E600

Wammer
Jan 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My view, for the domestic application XLR cables probably don’t offer any audio upgrade to RCA, but they do look really good, and additionally I like the fact that they lock in, which gives added confidence.

cooky1257

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2009
Wirral, , United Kin
AKA
Frank
Last edited:
Reactions: Metatron

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not one for spending a lot on wire and had my whole rig run via used, late 90s Audioplan Musicable which had improved the SQ significantly over the VD XKE (RCA) ICs I'd been using. However, middle of last year I acquired my Nord monos and needed to use XLRs, initially I used some borrowed VD studio grade and got Nick to make me up a pair in the Mogami which won his shootout (with Neutrik plugs) . This improved things further and I happily used this for around 8 months.
Earlier this year (June?) I wanted to move the Nords out of the rack and onto the floor so needed longer XLRs, having just had a tax rebate I decided to splash out a bit so ordered some Chord Shawline online (no brainer as able to return if nowt special). DAMN!!! What a difference, the Shawline lifted SQ to a whole new level (to my ears). So much so that I went ahead and changed my complete IC loom to Chord Shawline, and so happy I did, aside from the usual adjectives, to me it just made the sound more coherent, and at a price that was reasonably sensible. In fact I'd say Shawline is the sweetspot in Chords range.
Give some a try, you can always return it if it's not for you.
yes nicely made and not too expensive . got some rca recently for pre power duties and no doubt the xlr are just as good

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Belden results in a smoother sound compared to the Mogami (which can make for a leaner presentation) but there is a slight thickening in the mid-bass with the Belden (so there’s a minor loss of detail in this region). Both are excellent and great value.

Like the OP, I use TQ Black 2 for my speaker cables and I’m thinking about upgrading the Belden XLR that goes between my DAC/pre and my power amps…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles