New Wammer
May 22, 2022
Crosby, Merseyside
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone,
I’m new(ish) here (more frequent visitor on PfM), though I often lurk in the shadows ofthe classifieds as I hope to soon be in the market for a new turntable. Current modest system comprising:
Clearaudio Emotion / Dynavector DV20x2l
Arkless GTi Turbo phonostage
Innuos Zen Mini mk3
Hegel H90
Proac Response D1

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi and welcome. Fill out your profile, that way it makes it easier for us to assist you with kit enquiries/advice. Also look out for BOs in your area and clear your diary on 2nd October so you can attend the show.

Reactions: spideriano

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
Manchester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all. Saying hello, accidentally found the forum when googling for upgrade ideas, as you do.

I’m embarrassed to say that many, many years after selling my modest setup of Mission 751s, Arcam Alpha 5 and Marantz CD52SE I got the nostalgia bug and, almost unbelievably, found a guy literally around the corner selling his mint 751s. He threw in his Denon PMA 250iii as well. A very generous audiophile mate also donated some superb looking QED cable and jumpers. I had also bought a Sonos Connect as a source, don’t judge me, I’m in their eco system!

Expecting to be underwhelmed due to the march of technology I hooked it all up side by side with my Sonos Play 3 stereo pair. It was the last time I switched the Sonos speakers on! How can 50 quids worth of ancient gear be so good??!!

Needless to say, the throwback journey isn’t done because the Denon bit irks me. Even though it sounds better than it has any right to. So I’m scouring ads for an Arcam “something”. I think the Alpha 5 will be a bit long in the tooth. I’ll take budget end suggestions if you have any? Especially something that plays nice at lower volumes but will also crank up when I’m in the mood?

• Love
Reactions: newlash09

Lurch

Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi and welcome Jubal.
Stick your amp search up as a separate new thread to see what peeps have.
It's also worth sticking a wanted ad in the classifieds once you decide what you want.
Don't give up on an Alpha 5, they may be long in the tooth but are still worthy amps.

Reactions: Andy Stephenson

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the mad house Jubal. Nothing wrong with trying to improve what you have, but don't get rid of the Denon until you're sure you really like what you're trying to replace it with. The Denon, as you say, is far better than it's price point would suggest. Same with any change really!

Andy

Jubal

Wammer
May 25, 2022
Manchester
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks both. I’ll see what a side by side sounds like when I’ve found something. And I’ll ask about amps when I’ve worked out which sub forum to ask in!

Lurch

Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks both. I’ll see what a side by side sounds like when I’ve found something. And I’ll ask about amps when I’ve worked out which sub forum to ask in!
This 2 channel section to start new threads for general kit questions and advice, classifieds for wanted/selling kit.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All right then, I will.

How many hours does it take to make perfect crispy confit from a 2.5kg duck?

OK, wrong forum. I also have turntable and speaker-related questions, and I'll get to those shortly.
I love it😂😂😂😝

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All right then, I will.

OK, wrong forum. I also have turntable and speaker-related questions, and I'll get to those shortly.
Oh yeah welcome to the wam👍

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All right then, I will.

A student responded to "Any Questions?" at the end of a lecture. He began with "I hope this isn't a meaningless question ..."
The lecturer cut him off: "There is no such thing as a meaningless question!"
The student said "OK then, how high is up?"

• Haha
Reactions: newlash09

Phil48

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2022
wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi all, after months of browsing and looking at items for sale ,decided to join up this week, i am an oldie newbie, just retired so i now have more time to enjoy my music, sold all my albums early 90s replaced with cds, now buying albums again, that used to cost £5.99 new, now costing me £40.00+ starting to upgrade my system so will be looking for any help and advice in the coming months

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi all, after months of browsing and looking at items for sale ,decided to join up this week, i am an oldie newbie, just retired so i now have more time to enjoy my music, sold all my albums early 90s replaced with cds, now buying albums again, that used to cost £5.99 new, now costing me £40.00+ starting to upgrade my system so will be looking for any help and advice in the coming months
Hi Phil, Don't be shy, any questions you have , just ask.
Don't forget the "What's your bits and bobs " thread, let us know what you've got, it'll help us to help you! :D

Andy

Phil48

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2022
wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Phil, Don't be shy, any questions you have , just ask.
Don't forget the "What's your bits and bobs " thread, let us know what you've got, it'll help us to help you! :D

Andy
thanks Andy i have put a list up somewhere of what im using, dont know where at moment still learning how to navigate this site Phil

Reactions: Andy Stephenson

Phil48

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2022
wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks Andy i have put a list up somewhere of what im using, dont know where at moment still learning how to navigate this site Phil
hi Andy just found my list of bits and bobs on the from your listening chair thread as i said still learning😂Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles