Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So just asking i have a set of sennhieser ovations , and a set of the sony older pro studio things not the modern ones , i forget model number but folding cups nice metal out sides etc , coil wired etc , so i am looking for a bit of a up grade sort of along the lines of the sennhieser but with a more open top end i like the sonys ,myou seem to be 20 feet nearer the orchestra ,mi listen to mostly clasical and jazz all styles, i was a little shocked the first time i put the sonys on at how much more detail in the highs i was getting, which i liked but i do find my self going beack to the ovations for classical a lot of th time, happy to try open or closed, just got a cheap befesrod original dac for head phone duties , i have tried several gradoes up to a set at £180 i didnt really enjoy the sound not sure why ,just a few things, 

i have no experiance of other things , i wonderhow the hifi beyers £130 might be like, the 250 i think there called, in fife scotland so its tricky to hear things, do like a strong but not over blown bass, 

happy to hear your suggestions, i was previously driving headphones via aold kenwood 2030 special edition  amp with tone controls and it actually seemed to do a good job or driving things along, 

not wanting to spend too much at all prehaps £150 max maybe a bit more dont mind second hand if i can find some not abused etc, . Thank you 

lowendall 

v1nn1e

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been really pleased with my Shure's, albeit somewhat higher budget. I listen to a wide range of music and have not been disappointed.

Not sure whether the SRH1440 is affordable...?

Reactions: lowendall

twinpot

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2016
You might want to try the Philips Fidelio L1 if you can find a set (or X1, X2HR, but I've not listened to them).  They're a few years old now, but still really enjoyable, well made and comfortable to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:

rallychief

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2011
Devon
AKA
Chris
I have the Shure SRH1840s which i picked up used for £160 they are a very clean analytical sound, bit reminiscent of the Senn 600s but easier to drive being 50 ohm 

Reactions: lowendall

Stargazer

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2015
Devon
AKA
Victor
I have Beyerdynamics DT770 80ohms closed back and Beyerdynamics DT990 250ohms PRo open back headphones.  Both give what I find a musical and refined presentation of music suitable to a lot of genres of music.  With the DT770 I can use satisfactorily connected directly to PC while with the other I use via Zen Dac + Pc. The former is in your mind kind of sound but I still feel that in a playing soundstage.  The latter really give within the stage and in front row sound eg listening to Chuck Berry's greatest hits CD the track 'You can never Tell' the drums and bass are on my right hand side and the old honky tonk piano and saxaphones are on my left and Chuch Berry's voice is coming through the middle.   Now imagine this listening to other genres of music eg Classical, Jazz so much fun to have and they have quite an analytical sound too.  The bass on the DT990's is a little on the strong side but it does not really get in the way considering the whole scheme of things... Both headphones great buy for me... :)  

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Beyerdynamics DT770 80ohms closed back and Beyerdynamics DT990 250ohms PRo open back headphones. Both give what I find a musical and refined presentation of music suitable to a lot of genres of music. With the DT770 I can use satisfactorily connected directly to PC while with the other I use via Zen Dac + Pc. The former is in your mind kind of sound but I still feel that in a playing soundstage. The latter really give within the stage and in front row sound eg listening to Chuck Berry's greatest hits CD the track 'You can never Tell' the drums and bass are on my right hand side and the old honky tonk piano and saxaphones are on my left and Chuch Berry's voice is coming through the middle. Now imagine this listening to other genres of music eg Classical, Jazz so much fun to have and they have quite an analytical sound too. The bass on the DT990's is a little on the strong side but it does not really get in the way considering the whole scheme of things... Both headphones great buy for me... :)
Thanks for this ,comming back to my beyer ,,dt ,700 pro things they just need to be cranked a bit to get em to boogie I am realizing this . Any way going to get back on to this regards rich

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you sell the ovations as I miss my pairs and would like them again. I had both 560s and 565s.

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you sell the ovations as I miss my pairs and would like them again. I had both 560s and 565s.
Hi I am keeping the old head phones I know what you mean I quiet like them top end I just flick a bit of treble tone at them , I realised a long time ago it's all a compromise these things etc , but plenty of recordings don't help in my opinion . Regards rich good luck I am sure you will find a set soon .

Reactions: Lawrence001

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Beyerdynamics DT770 80ohms closed back and Beyerdynamics DT990 250ohms PRo open back headphones. Both give what I find a musical and refined presentation of music suitable to a lot of genres of music. With the DT770 I can use satisfactorily connected directly to PC while with the other I use via Zen Dac + Pc. The former is in your mind kind of sound but I still feel that in a playing soundstage. The latter really give within the stage and in front row sound eg listening to Chuck Berry's greatest hits CD the track 'You can never Tell' the drums and bass are on my right hand side and the old honky tonk piano and saxaphones are on my left and Chuch Berry's voice is coming through the middle. Now imagine this listening to other genres of music eg Classical, Jazz so much fun to have and they have quite an analytical sound too. The bass on the DT990's is a little on the strong side but it does not really get in the way considering the whole scheme of things... Both headphones great buy for me... :)
Hi thank you very much for you thoughts time I use the getting nearer the stage etc when trying new stuff out for listening it goes well for every thing speakers cd players ,my new cambri dge audio azure 350c does the moving alittle nearer trick ,funny enough a very neat trick it seems . Also for a good while using quiet happily a old Denon half width mini cd f101 literally cost me 20 pounds with head phones on a Beresford original dac drives head phone lovely .but recording some radio tonight and monitoring things ,the little red Yamaha is a very basic headphone mix monitor type thing and actually work ok as far as I can hear . Was very cheap in a sale £20 I think runs on batteries etc much better than the head amp in the terrible cheap zoom recorder which actually records ok when you get the levels sorted

Radio from a old Sony s770 es thing .

IMG_20230604_212856137_MFNR.jpg

narular

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2012
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i am currently enjoying a pair of Focal elegias which I find to be an improvement at the lower end from the Sennheiser 650s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles