Nooby Guide / FAQ

htm_1968

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Olan
It is generally all good, but it can get 'interesting'. My room was rammed for much of last year and nearly everybody was fantastic, but I did get visits from a couple of real individuals :roll: .

My tone arm is relatively expensive and is no longer manufactured, and the cartridge is also costly so I deployed a few 'please do not touch signs' to avoid tragedy/expensive repair. I had a visit from one chap who ignored the signs and started yanking at the tone arm (perhaps he had never seen a unipivot before and thought the way to understanding was through vandalism) . When asked politely not to touch, he responded by saying 'I wasn't' and hurling the Aro down on its rest with almost enough force to break it and the cartridge. Luckily, everything survived. That particular chap was one of the non-showering brethren so he lingered long in the memory.

Also, I was unamused by people leaning on my speakers or in one case going to rest a half full pint pot on my speaker so he could rummage through my records. :dunno:I'm not putting out doilies or beer mats as I find a vicious blow from a rusty hammer to be far more effective at preventing spills. :RIP:

Last year was great fun. 99.9% of the visitors to my room were superb, I had great fun and got to meet a great bunch of people. (Bring some air freshener though :sick: )

Brigadoon

Requires Adult Supervision
Wammer
Feb 20, 2015
Stroud
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From memory, that was an odd-looking sculptural thing. Three spikes on the bottom, bulbous base with a downwards-facing driver, bit like a cross between a sitar and a bong, with a tall neck and some gubbins up top. About £2.5k. I want to say Orthichoke or something but they were definitely O' something. Did they ever sell other than to the lifestyle mags? Were they any good? Not trolling BTW, just vaguely remember them in some music vid and always thought they were style over substance.
O'heocha ?
Yep, those are the ones.. They were very well built - machined out of aerospace grade aluminium, and they erm...were very interesting to look at......

Interestingly, their design was actually a case of function over form - the shape was deigned to eliminate cabinet reflection and resonance, so the only thing you hear is the driver. They had a slightly electrostatic, very "Hi-Fi" sound to them.

Personally I thought their "entry level" floor standers were the best of the range. They were slightly unruly, and managed to not have that "Hi Fi" - ness to them. As a result they were entertaining and quite musical.

Brigadoon

Wammer
Feb 20, 2015
Stroud
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay another question. What's the official standpoint on selling at the show?

Is it verboten to actively sell bits of one's kit at the show?

If a show visitor fancies a bit of one's kit and asks "how much for the..." is it verboten to 'do a deal'?

Assuming it's Hi Fi kit we're talking about, and not forum members.....(I'm sure Rabs could fetch quite a price post-fountain..."

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^ Quiet, low key deals like you describe are OK, imo.

And doubtless there will be a fair amount of pre-arranged handovers.

But don't go putting For Sale labels on stuff :nup: - it's a friendly exhibition of hifi and music, not a market place*.

* Authorised dealers in their proper place and my charity Bring & Buy sale excepted, of course! :)

And in previous years some folks held charity sales of music etc in their own dem rooms. :^

Brigadoon

Wammer
Feb 20, 2015
Stroud
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^ Quiet, low key deals like you describe are OK, imo.And doubtless there will be a fair amount of pre-arranged handovers.

But don't go putting For Sale labels on stuff :nup: - it's a friendly exhibition of hifi and music, not a market place*.

* Authorised dealers in their proper place and my charity Bring & Buy sale excepted, of course! :)

And in previous years some folks held charity sales of music etc in their own dem rooms. :^
Pretty much as I thought it would be.

Guess I'll need to can the whole billboard in the parking lot idea then! :clout:

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
As an exhibitor, expect lots of questions if visitors like what they hear, especially about price of kit, sometimes about the tech.

Also, regardless of how good your system sounds, or not, most visitors will acknowledge your efforts with a smile, nod or a quiet thank you, but you will also get the ignorant ones who seem to think they have a right to be there and give no acknowledgement at all. This really winds me up as it doesn't matter if your system sounds great or awful (which is an individual opinion), visitors should at least recognise that its cost you money and time to put on the show for them.

You'll also get visitors who:

- ignore your room because they don't like the name on the boxes, their loss

- ignore your room because they think they don't like some of the tech in your system (e.g. "I don't like SS amps"; or "I don't like horns"), again, their loss

- stick their head around the door and form an opinion, despite the fact it took you 2 hours to get the speakers in the best place in the room

- actually enjoy themselves, good grief

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Some good points there, particularly about the sticking a head in the door and then going straight back out.

It will happen and it is important not to let it affect your enjoyment.

There will be plenty who do like it. :D

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
[generous interpretation]You get that a lot in the afternoon.

People who have heard something they like but can't remember where, so open doors , look in, realise it is the wrong room and move on down the corridor.[/gi]

Brigadoon

Wammer
Feb 20, 2015
Stroud
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, starting to think I may need to stay over Sunday evening too - looks like I'll need to drink lots of beer on Sunday to cope with all the vagaries of Scalford punters.. :dunno:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nah, 19 out of 20 visitors are polite and interested. It's worth remembering that neither exhibitors nor visitors are doing each other favours - everyone is there only because they want to be.

Yes, it's a lot of time and effort to set up a dem room, but I do it because I enjoy doing it.

If visitors like it, great. If not, or if they just pop their head round the door and move on, fine - they are under no obligation as far as I am concerned.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nah, 19 out of 20 visitors are polite and interested. It's worth remembering that neither exhibitors nor visitors are doing each other favours - everyone is there only because they want to be.Yes, it's a lot of time and effort to set up a dem room, but I do it because I enjoy doing it.

If visitors like it, great. If not, or if they just pop their head round the door and move on, fine - they are under no obligation as far as I am concerned.
Completely agree. I do it for ME, because I like showing off my kit, or because I've got something some may find interesting, like Quadraphonics the year before last or omnidirectional 'speakers last year.

Those that are interested may ask questions lr just listen to the tunes. Others may not like the music or the kit or me, and move on.

S

craigmclellan

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2011
Boston, Lincolnshire
AKA
Craig
As an exhibitor, expect lots of questions if visitors like what they hear, especially about price of kit, sometimes about the tech.Also, regardless of how good your system sounds, or not, most visitors will acknowledge your efforts with a smile, nod or a quiet thank you, but you will also get the ignorant ones who seem to think they have a right to be there and give no acknowledgement at all. This really winds me up as it doesn't matter if your system sounds great or awful (which is an individual opinion), visitors should at least recognise that its cost you money and time to put on the show for them.

You'll also get visitors who:

- ignore your room because they don't like the name on the boxes, their loss

- ignore your room because they think they don't like some of the tech in your system (e.g. "I don't like SS amps"; or "I don't like horns"), again, their loss

- stick their head around the door and form an opinion, despite the fact it took you 2 hours to get the speakers in the best place in the room

- actually enjoy themselves, good grief
I'm going there with the mentality that I am showing my personal system and not everyone is going to be a fan of it or be interested in it.

I think if you're exhibiting for recognition or something similar is perhaps the wrong approach. As a punter, there were PLENTY of systems I looked at after opening the door, heard a sound I didn't enjoy and didn't feel the need to stay longer.

The main reason I want to go is for the Saturday night setup and getting to listen to my system loudly for a change, I can't do it where I am here with my noisy neighbours (they have bass flowing through our house all day long but they bang on the walls if they hear ours), so once I get an hour or so of being obnoxious, I'll be focused on the buffet and the next day if no one spends any time in the room, I won't be worried.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think I said in my post that the visitors don't have to like your system to at least be grateful that you travelled a long way, gave your weekend to the show and paid for stuff out of your own pocket. Its nothing to do with liking or disliking a system.

Hoping that visitors can politely acknowledge this is nothing more than being polite and courteous on their part. It has absolutely nothing to do with "recognition".

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hoping that visitors can politely acknowledge this is nothing more than being polite and courteous on their part. It has absolutely nothing to do with "recognition".
"All hope abandon, ye who enter here" - Dante

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always thought that if I was playing great music and the system was set up well, anyone doing a hello/goodbye routine must have simply been put off by the moustache and pie stained T shirt.

That can't work tho can it, or every room would be empty :)

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay another question. What's the official standpoint on selling at the show?

Is it verboten to actively sell bits of one's kit at the show?

If a show visitor fancies a bit of one's kit and asks "how much for the..." is it verboten to 'do a deal'?

Assuming it's Hi Fi kit we're talking about, and not forum members.....(I'm sure Rabs could fetch quite a price post-fountain..."
There is a bring and buy/Audio jumble in the pavilion this year, no charge I believe. If you're exhibiting you can leave a price and your room number, for people to come and discuss/buy from you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brigadoon

Wammer
Feb 20, 2015
Stroud
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a bring and buy/Audio jumble in the pavilion this year, no charge I believe. If you're exhibiting you can leave a price and your room number, for people to come and discuss/buy from you.

Sadly, I won't make it this year.  This whole getting divorced thing is quite the malarkey apparently.

Roll on Scalford 2018.....

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 Sadly, I won't make it this year.  This whole getting divorced thing is quite the malarkey apparently.

Roll on Scalford 2018.....
Sorry to hear that, but WTF why did you start the thread then. Still, see you next year :)

Brigadoon

Wammer
Feb 20, 2015
Stroud
AKA
Barry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear that, but WTF why did you start the thread then. Still, see you next year :)
Erm........did you check the date of my thread?  😉

Thanks anyway - a pint on me in 2018 😎

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles