Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
it does seem according the the hi fi dealer strictly stereo in Stockport that there is a new UK distributor and SS is a dealer of norma . good news for this brand which does deserve more attention . they may not be for everyone but its a great option .
If this is the case, excellent news. My Norma 140 is overall the most enjoyable amplifier I've had the pleasure to use (in fact it came courtesy of Simon G of this and related parishes in immaculate as new condition, a pleasure to deal with). I've waxed lyrical about its qualities previously, but just to say I find it such a non-fatiguing, musical listening experience - using it with some quite inefficient Dynaudios which it powers effortlessly, and interestingly I used it before them with some Harbeth 30.1's which are much more effcicient but again it made them sound so much better than with any other amplifier set-up I'd used them with, including separate pre and mono-power amps, Class A, valve and hybrids. I agree with Simon that it lacks a balance (and tone) controls which can be problematic for some but I prefer the simplicity of a more purist approach. Also the company (or rather its owner and designer Enrico Rossi) is very responsive - as mentioned before. Oh - and yes Phil - it is heavy, 25kg to be precise - build quality is superb.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s good news if it comes to pass, though Strictly Stereo makes no mention of Norma on their website that I could see.

A9165B4F-2CBE-483D-A3DF-955000F16D94.png
yes i was with norma dealer yesterday who hinted about it and then i asked lee at strictly stereo for confirmation . I am very pleased because its a really well made amp and deserves UK distribution and I love SS amps that are stress free [ hopefully ] I am giving it lots of run time . the one on eBay is the one here and i can testify its in fine condition

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134054701262?hash=item1f364868ce:g:3DQAAOSwwYlh9TWc

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes i was with norma dealer yesterday who hinted about it and then i asked lee at strictly stereo for confirmation . I am very pleased because its a really well made amp and deserves UK distribution and I love SS amps that are stress free [ hopefully ] I am giving it lots of run time . the one on eBay is the one here and i can testify its in fine condition

[URL][URL]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134054701262?hash=item1f364868ce:g:3DQAAOSwwYlh9TWc[/URL][/URL]
Is the 70b a sort of ‘mark2’ version of the 70 pictured? It seems tricky to identify which is which as they keep the same model numbers, rather than making SE or /2 versions.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi no as far as i know the 70b was the original . the one i have is the one for sale on eBay . its cheaper at the dealers website . as soon as it sells i have to give it back .

https://www.thelittleaudiocompany.co.uk/norma-revo-ipa70-amplifier
i will write a more detailed report soon. needless to say i would give this 9/10 . its a very very good amp for the money . i think they are around 3.5k for the non dac non phono model . would i buy one ? yes i would .

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jason kennedy wrote this

Norma makes a range of electronics that largely consists of amplifiers in one or two boxes and digital sources in the form of a CD player and a DAC… alongside a unit that does both. The IPA-70B is a rather elegant integrated amplifier that sits just above the entry level HS-DA1 and forms the starting point for the IPA range.

The amp can be controlled with the single button and volume knob on the front or with an aluminium remote handset which is almost festooned with small switches. It does, however, fit easily in the hand and with practise you can find the volume buttons without looking. The only minor gripe with ergonomics is that it’s difficult to see how high the volume is in anything but bright light.

i find the remote very good and volume very easy to fine control

Being an opera nut, Enrico Rossi is very keen on the human voice and bases his designs on the getting it right, in his own words “I have never heard a system, with correct voice reproduction sound bad with other types of music. If you reproduce the voice well, everything else will be automatically reproduced well too.” I hadn’t read that when I first started using the Norma through Bowers & Wilkins 802 loudspeakers but one of the first notes made was about how good the voice sounded, specifically how much nuance and subtlety could be heard in Ishmael Reed’s voice on Conjure’s Bad Mouth album [American Clavé], where the cymbals were clean and open and the bass line muscular. This is achieved partly because noise levels are clearly very low but more importantly because this amp’s timing is absolutely bang on, yet it is also smooth and relaxed. It’s a bit of an enigma, usually this combination of qualities can only be found with planet busting Class A amps, and only the biggest have the bass capabilities offered by this 70 Watter

Agree 100%

This Norma is an intriguing amplifier; it does so many things so well that you have to wonder how Enrico Rossi has achieved it. The ability to combine so many strengths in what is a relatively compact and attractive amp is very unusual, very few do pace this well and it’s equally rare to hear microdynamics delivered so clearly. It certainly makes you wonder about the bigger IPA-140B, which if like this it can double its output into a halving of load must be a bit of a monster. Feature wise the single input DAC might be a limit for some

Yes the single input usb dac is useless for me with my cd transports as they have coax and toslink outputs only

https://hifiplus.com/articles/norma-ipa-70b-integrated-amplifier/

Reactions: hiesteem

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi no as far as i know the 70b was the original . the one i have is the one for sale on eBay . its cheaper at the dealers website . as soon as it sells i have to give it back .

https://www.thelittleaudiocompany.co.uk/norma-revo-ipa70-amplifier
i will write a more detailed report soon. needless to say i would give this 9/10 . its a very very good amp for the money . i think they are around 3.5k for the non dac non phono model . would i buy one ? yes i would .
9/10?

So what makes this amp less than perfect?

How would it compare with my Bel Cantos?

I wonder how it would fare with my ProAcs?

So many questions!!

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes well its 3.5k and the amp currently in use costs 150 quid !!!

oh and the black brushed finish can scratch easily [ like many amps]

it would compare superbly with the bel canto . and the one advantage with integrated is no worrying about pre amps and matching them correctly

it would sound very powerful with the proacs and very very smooth but detailed . excellent match methinks

Reactions: Jezzer and Blodger

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks. David advertises it without the b suffix, and it seems unlikely anyone would launch a product called 70b, unless b meant something like the battery-powered version! Or maybe b means basic, and if you fit the DAC or Phono you drop the b?!

But the review insists it is a b model. I am just a bit puzzled, that’s all. I’m curious because I wonder if the Norma would be a nice match for my recently acquired Sonus fabers, especially as they used to make a 50-watter themselves, and allegedly designed mine on the same.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes well its 3.5k and the amp currently in use costs 150 quid !!!

oh and the black brushed finish can scratch easily [ like many amps]

it would compare superbly with the bel canto . and the one advantage with integrated is no worrying about pre amps and matching them correctly

it would sound very powerful with the proacs and very very smooth but detailed . excellent match methinks
Cor! Very tempting.

Reactions: hifinutt and deggie

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cor! Very tempting.
I would say jezzer that the BIG advantage with class d bel canto monoblocks is that you can put a high end pre amp on it and really really lift the sound so much . probably way above the norma integrated . where this unit excells is where folks want an exceptional integrated that is compact , attractive and very easy to use and very good sound

it certainly excells over the naim sn2 and sugden a21se with the high sensitivity horns [ of course the a21se may be better with other speakers ]
if i get a chance i may try the 70b with the tannoys but its a bit of a pain to rearrange the rack to fit it on !!!

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would say jezzer that the BIG advantage with class d bel canto monoblocks is that you can put a high end pre amp on it and really really lift the sound so much . probably way above the norma integrated . where this unit excells is where folks want an exceptional integrated that is compact , attractive and very easy to use and very good sound

it certainly excells over the naim sn2 and sugden a21se with the high sensitivity horns [ of course the a21se may be better with other speakers ]
if i get a chance i may try the 70b with the tannoys but its a bit of a pain to rearrange the rack to fit it on !!!
Well, to be honest, I’m currently listening to London Grammar on the Bel Cantos with my Hegel HD30 pre/DAC and it’s sounding superb! Sometimes I have an unfortunate itch that needs scratching… Perhaps a tube pre but I can’t be bothered with the faff. I’ve had tubes and hybrids before. Class A perhaps! I heard The Flash’s Audia Flight last summer and that was rather nice!

(I went down the Naim path years ago then thought better of it!)

Actually, what I think I need are bigger speakers with a bit more slam and scale. As good as the Tab 10 Sigs are, they’re still tiny boxes… even with a sub!

Reactions: hifinutt

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes jezzer . there are MUCH better speakers to try . thats the path to take i think . the choice is endless . been very impressed with these recently

P1070794 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1070793 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

Yes, I would agree that the speaker route is the one to follow. I read your rave review of the Amphions and saw a pair for sale… So it was awfully tempting… but I’ve just bitten the bullet and bought a pair of Focal Kanta N1s!

Apologies for the thread derail. I’d love to hear a Norma amp one day…!

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 'B' suffix just means it is in black, as this is a cost option. Norma does develop designs without changing the model designation.
Ah, thanks! At last a sensible explanation for what b means. I should have guessed, though I can’t imagine they issue a non-B user manual for silver versions, or do they?

marko

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was going to write a brief update on my norma REVO IPA 70 after a year of ownership, which I will hopefully do this weekend. In the meantime, my 70B is Silver, not Black, so ‘B’ surely doesn’t mean the Black option.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes the mystery deepens . well the norma i have here on demo is due to marks enthusiasm !!!! been playing it for 4 or 5 days now and gets better . bass is very well controlled and enjoyable . i was playing bachs toccata and fugue the other night and it was very real . even my wife enjoyed it

now its still not as good as my arc ref 5se was with power amps but then you can buy this amp for around 2.2 k ex demo in silver or black which is quite a bargain. 2595 with usb . thats a fraction of the cost of arc and same build quality imho

Reactions: Jezzer and Blodger

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was going to write a brief update on my norma REVO IPA 70 after a year of ownership, which I will hopefully do this weekend. In the meantime, my 70B is Silver, not Black, so ‘B’ surely doesn’t mean the Black option.
Interesting. I was told by the dealer I bought the Norma from that the B was for black. Evidently not, it seems! To be honest, who really cares? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.