Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s been three weeks since we last listened to music, having been away for a week and absolutely ‘full on’ since returning home.
Turning our system on today and remembering all the wonderful amplifiers we’ve owned over the last thirty years, we’re smitten, once again with The IPA70.
Audio Note CD Players and Speakers have been a constant since 1990, alongside many amplifiers from many manufacturers. Listening today with The norma IPA70, and after a year of ownership, I was reminded, as I have often been over the last year, of The Shindo pre and power combo we owned fifteen years ago, as well as our recent Kondo Overture.
The common factor, rare and absent in SO many amplifiers, is the ability to present music with what I can only describe as ‘atmosphere’, both gripping and mesmerising in equal measure.
Being a boring ol’ git, and not wishing to ‘bang on’ too much about The norma IPA70, it’s a truly end game amplifier, especially at £3.5k, and when partnered with AN CD Player and ANE Speakers, SUPERB!

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do! I like to know these things. Presumably there was an earlier model without the B? What changed? Is the 140 a B or not? My OCD I guess. ;)
Well I’d suggest contacting Enrico Rossi/Norma Audio via their website email address for customers/owners - he’s always responded quickly to an queries I’ve had. info@normaaudio.com
(Might also be worth asking him to confirm the new UK distributor? Still got the old defunct one listed.)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Nopiano

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We’ll I’d suggest contacting Enrico Rossi/Norma Audio via their website email address for customers/owners - he’s always responded quickly to an queries I’ve had. info@normaaudio.com
(Might also be worth asking him to confirm the new UK distributor? Still got the old defunct one listed.)
Thanks. Yes I noticed the distribution list is dated June 2021 (from memory).

davidf

Wammer
Oct 21, 2017
As the 140 isn’t listed as “B” on Norma’s website, I’d guess it was some sort of revision to the amplifier. Just a guess though.

Reactions: Nopiano

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I’d suggest contacting Enrico Rossi/Norma Audio via their website email address for customers/owners - he’s always responded quickly to an queries I’ve had. info@normaaudio.com
i have spoken to 2 norma dealers and both confirmed new distributor . strictly stereo and little audio co

Reactions: Blodger

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s been three weeks since we last listened to music, having been away for a week and absolutely ‘full on’ since returning home.
Turning our system on today and remembering all the wonderful amplifiers we’ve owned over the last thirty years, we’re smitten, once again with The IPA70.
Audio Note CD Players and Speakers have been a constant since 1990, alongside many amplifiers from many manufacturers. Listening today with The norma IPA70, and after a year of ownership, I was reminded, as I have often been over the last year, of The Shindo pre and power combo we owned fifteen years ago, as well as our recent Kondo Overture.
The common factor, rare and absent in SO many amplifiers, is the ability to present music with what I can only describe as ‘atmosphere’, both gripping and mesmerising in equal measure.
Being a boring ol’ git, and not wishing to ‘bang on’ too much about The norma IPA70, it’s a truly end game amplifier, especially at £3.5k, and when partnered with AN CD Player and ANE Speakers, SUPERB!
yes the shindo power with the mfa pre was one of THE most entrancing amps with a sense of presence . thoroughly enjoyed it. time flies !!!

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
20220322_193310.jpg
Most certainly a very capable amp. Very very good with female vocals . Very non fatiguing as smooth and detailed melody gardot sounds very palpable. German Berlin electronica has well controlled bass and sense of realism. It just gives you enough detail without being over detailed .

As one adds hours to it it seem to improve. Some amps can give one earache after too long but this thing could play for hours

I would prefer a nice detailed volume screen like Hegel or bel canto but nothing is perfect .

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would prefer a nice detailed volume screen like Hegel or bel canto but nothing is perfect .
I’m with you there. Pretty much essential I find these days. But I managed fine for decades without even a remote control, so I wonder if it’s simply a bit of OCD on my part.

HugoZ

Wammer
Mar 2, 2020
I've been reading the very enthusiastic user reports on the Norma IPA 70 with great interest.

For the last few days I've been auditioning a Naim Supernait 3 (the first Naim amp I've ever heard) and, much to my surprise, have been enjoying it. I know Naimites make a big thing about timing but this amplifier really does convey the ebb and flow of not only dynamic, up-tempo material, but also slow, meditative music. The extra control it exerts over even my high sensitivity speakers, compared with my 10W valve amp, is very apparent and very welcome (and my 10W valve amp is no slouch as it weighs in at some 36 kg).

However, last night I tested it with some solo piano and I'm afraid it didn't fare too well - tonality and timbre were grey and washed out, typical, I suppose, of class A/B solid-state amplification, and far removed from the sound of my valve amp.

So, how do users of the IPA 70 like how it sounds with solo piano (IMO, a sterner test than the human voice)?

I'm thinking that I might find the class A Sugden A21 Signature more to my taste, although its build quality pales beside that of my valve amp.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks hugo . Yes i think thats only a question you can answer . It is a superb amp . If you are near a dealer get a listen for yourself . I think it would be just superb with piano personally having spent 2 weeks . Certainly great with vocals . If you are near brum david f has one on demo i think and several other dealers have them

Reactions: HugoZ

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can't speak for the 70, but the 140 is superb with piano - listen to a lot of Bach and Haydn solo piano music and would say the Norma provides the best reproduction I've heard in my system for both piano and human voice - Enrico Rossi, the designer for Norma, builds his amps around vocal reproduction which should give some idea of their tuning and quality.

Flachead

New Wammer
May 17, 2020
So, how do users of the IPA 70 like how it sounds with solo piano (IMO, a sterner test than the human voice)?
I confess to being biased as I am selling my 70B at the moment, but it has no problem conveying the timbre and tonality of solo piano, very easy to close your eyes and imagine it’s in the room with you. Before opting for the Norma, I did audition the SN3 and loved it, but It felt a little raw to me and I didn’t think I would enjoy listening to it hour after hour. The Norma maintains the strengths of the SN3 but brings a more detailed and grainless, and thus more natural, sound. Try to get a demo if you can or like I did, read every review you can find, because I can vouch that how they describe the amp is accurate and true.

Reactions: Blodger

marko

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We enjoyed a day of music yesterday, with friends coming round. Not wishing to debate the merits of system ‘warm up’ etc, but merely offered here as an observation, the music appeared ‘closed in’ and completely un-engaging for the first part of the morning, yuck!

By midnight however, with music still in full swing and LOUD (LINDSTROM & CHRISTABELL), this lovely amplifier sounded ‘Stunningly good’. Sounds the same this morning.
As I’ve said many times before, and imho, The norma IPA70B is one of the best things since ‘sliced bread’! Period.
Arriving tomorrow, I have a current model Sudden A21a Signature on loan for a month. Should be interesting

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarzan and hifinutt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.