Linn Owners

Now I have a Majik DSM, with some questions

kl122002

Wammer
Dec 26, 2018
Hong Kong
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Originally I have planed get a Selekt DSM, but the pandemic delays everything. One day my local shop told me they have an extra Majik DSM and then I grabbed it as fast as I could without any second thoughts. This little black box isn't heavy and it does its jobs well. Seriously, as I am not in a critical listener I don't have any complain with this sound quality.

I believe my model is the latest. It has 2 analogue inputs instead of a single set that seen in Linn Docs. I set one of them to phono to connect it with my LP12 . It plays great, nicely matched with my Adikt MM cartridge ( The input Being set to 14 (mVrms) at Konfig page ). And my CD player is connected to its SPDIF .

The only problem I am having is its wifi connection. My laptop (Windows) and phone (Andorid) Kazoo
and the Konfig (also in Windows) sometimes disconnected with my Majik DSM. Anyone knows how to fix it ? Linn told me its all from the wifi router? My wifi router is Linksys MX5300...It is not a very old model yet, I guess ?

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@kl122002

You have a Majik DSM/4 - i.e. the latest version -, correct?

(I was actually not aware that there are upgrades for additional analogue inputs available for the DSM/4, but nevermind)

In case you have connected your DSM/4 via WiFi only this might be the problem and I would recommend to connect your DSM via ethernet to your home network instead, either directly to your Linksys MX5300 or via a Network Switch (incase no more Ethernet plugs remaining free on your Linksys).

In case your Linksys is too far away from your Majik DSM try to establish a Ethernet connection via a PowerLan device which is most likely still more stable than a WLan connection.

Also try to keep your DSM firmware uptodate (Update is easy via Konfig, latest version is 4.88)

Jens

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seriously, as I am not in a critical listener I don't have any complaint with this sound quality.
MDSM is a superb all-in-one music player. I have a MDSM/3 in a bedroom and enjoy music on it every bit as much as I do on my main system In the lounge. Yes I hear more detail in the lounge, but for me this is not paramount when listening to music.

i agree with @JensA and have no problems controlling the MSDM when it’s connected using Ethernet to my home network. if possible connect your MSDM to an Ethernet port using a Cat 5e cable. It can be up to 50 metres long so can route around the wall or under a carpet. A 10m high quality Cat 5e cable with decent RJ45 plugs on each end is about £25 from Blue Jeans Cables (these are tested before they are sent out to make sure they are perfect - and you’ll receive the Fluke test report); Connectix is another first class supplier, but do not include test reports; in fact they manufacture the wires, whereas BJC assemble them using Belden wire.

I do use Apple products rather than Windows/Android, but cannot see why this would make a difference. The underlying discovery protocols are no different. Using the latest software on your MDSM and other devices is a good idea.

Reactions: akamatsu

kl122002

Wammer
Dec 26, 2018
Hong Kong
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@kl122002

You have a Majik DSM/4 - i.e. the latest version -, correct?

(I was actually not aware that there are upgrades for additional analogue inputs available for the DSM/4, but nevermind)

In case you have connected your DSM/4 via WiFi only this might be the problem and I would recommend to connect your DSM via ethernet to your home network instead, either directly to your Linksys MX5300 or via a Network Switch (incase no more Ethernet plugs remaining free on your Linksys).

In case your Linksys is too far away from your Majik DSM try to establish a Ethernet connection via a PowerLan device which is most likely still more stable than a WLan connection.

Also try to keep your DSM firmware uptodate (Update is easy via Konfig, latest version is 4.88)

Jens

At least I believe it is the latest, the description from Konfig says "2021 variant (2xANA IN)" .
Will LAN later, but first I have know how much I need. It has to run above the door frames and turned few corners to reach the router. It is somehow a painful job tbh.

I also noted the DSM sometimes also changed into red , music stopped and I restarted to make it work. I know the red light means something error. Do you have any idea which part would it be?

kl122002

Wammer
Dec 26, 2018
Hong Kong
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
MDSM is a superb all-in-one music player. I have a MDSM/3 in a bedroom and enjoy music on it every bit as much as I do on my main system In the lounge. Yes I hear more detail in the lounge, but for me this is not paramount when listening to music.

i agree with @JensA and have no problems controlling the MSDM when it’s connected using Ethernet to my home network. if possible connect your MSDM to an Ethernet port using a Cat 5e cable. It can be up to 50 metres long so can route around the wall or under a carpet. A 10m high quality Cat 5e cable with decent RJ45 plugs on each end is about £25 from Blue Jeans Cables (these are tested before they are sent out to make sure they are perfect - and you’ll receive the Fluke test report); Connectix is another first class supplier, but do not include test reports; in fact they manufacture the wires, whereas BJC assemble them using Belden wire.

I do use Apple products rather than Windows/Android, but cannot see why this would make a difference. The underlying discovery protocols are no different. Using the latest software on your MDSM and other devices is a good idea.

Seriously, if I play music through the traditional way, like LP12 , CD player, or even blu-ray player (HDMI) there is no problem . The MDSM could run couple hours and doesn't need any rest. The only problem is through wifi or PC way.

My second problem is actually the Kazoo Sever app. There is a drive I left for it on my PC but the Kazoo(Windows) not always showing the Sever , or running circles without showing its content inside.

Now I am wondering whether I should get a QNAP sever for MDSM , if Linn's app aren't that stable

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Seriously, if I play music through the traditional way, like LP12 , CD player, or even blu-ray player (HDMI) there is no problem . The MDSM could run couple hours and doesn't need any rest. The only problem is through wifi or PC way.

My second problem is actually the Kazoo Sever app. There is a drive I left for it on my PC but the Kazoo(Windows) not always showing the Sever , or running circles without showing its content inside.

Now I am wondering whether I should get a QNAP sever for MDSM , if Linn's app aren't that stable
Try a trial copy of JRiver Media Centre on your PC. The trial lasts for a month and will allow you to see whether Kazoo server is the issue. JRiver has a Network Media server you can enable under options. You should be able to see your MSDM as a player option to play from JRiver (you can control this from JRiver Panel on your Android device). Alternatively, you can use Kazoo on your Android device and it should pick up your library in the same way it should for Kazoo server.

To import your music you can specify a top level folder and it’ll do the rest. You can ask it to analyse each track, add artwork and lyrics, but this will slow the import down so I‘d leave it set to the default. It takes about an hour to do 15,000 albums (Mac mini 2012 Catalina with external Thunderbolt drive).

I’ve used JRiver for years on MacOS & Linux, it was originally Windows only. It is easy to install/uninstall and free for a month; it has lots of options for video, but I disable these by running in audio only mode (i’m not a film person).

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's a minor thing, but given you have a good router, with access to settings, you should (on WiFi and eventually wired) assign each device on your network a static IP.

Reactions: Tendaberry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles