NVA

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
[SIZE=14pt]As my system, apart from sources, is NVA I thought I would start a thread.  [/SIZE]I am very pleased with the sound and think it is good value for money.  The components are: P90 SA pre amp, A80 monoblocks, Cube 3 speakers, TSCS speaker cable, TIS interconnectors and a BMU (I have poor mains).  For vinyl, very much a second source, I have a  Phono 1 connected to SSP interconnector.  My main source is a Chord Qutest DAC connected to a Sonore microRendu streamer.

[SIZE=14pt]To my ears semi-omnidirectional speakers provide a far more realistic and pleasurable presentation than point and squirt designs in the domestic environment.  [/SIZE]An added advantage is that you do not have to be in a “sweet spot” for a good sound.  I have found that the speaker cable and interconnectors play no small part in the context of the system.  What I like most is the overall transparency and dynamics, the Qutest being an ideal partner.  I listen to a lot of heavy rock, but the system seem happy with all types of music with vocals, piano and acoustic guitar sounding very authentic.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always thought the NVA business model was very impressive indeed and possibly unique.  I'm referring to the buy back arrangement when upgrading. I also like the idea of buying direct from the chap who makes the gear. In an ever more corporate world I think this brings something to the industry. I know for whatever reason there's noise surrounding the make, but at the end of the day it's the noise the boxes make that will sell it. If I weren't settled with my system and still into box swapping, I'd have a pop.

R

Richard Dunn

I will answer any questions here that are about the product, but I will not promote. I will obviously ignore any trolls.

Cloth-Ears.

Censored Wammer
Wammer
Jul 11, 2016
Pie Town NM
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was intrigued to see R.Dunn's comment as to what his flagship product is. Turns out he cites the cheapest amp at £200, because it shows what can be done for the money and is a good taster for NVA. I liked that. I've never heard any though, merely heard what other folks have reported.

Qs to R. Dunn : 

- If your mains is good, is there any point to the Balanced Mains Unit ? I am guessing there is as this product isn't just some kind of intefrence filter, is it ?

- Also, can the BMU be recommended for use with other manufacturers amps ?

- Which units benfit most from the BMU ?  Digital sources ?  Pre amps ? Power amps ?

R

Richard Dunn

It can be used with any hifi system ever made. Read my comments for what is best, really it could be any part, just plug it all in, as it all uses mains electricity.

The BMU is an odd one it does things I don't understand, it just does them. It was originally built (can't say designed as it is just a transformer in a box with some sockets on the top) because I suffer from really horrible mains that varies enormously during the day, some times big transformers are nearly howling then it goes completely quiet. It is obviously some machinery is causing it as it stops at about midnight. I have complained but unless it is a voltage problem being out of spec they don't want to know. Well a BMU solves it some of the time and not others strangely. A DC blocker in front of the BMU solves a bit more of it. So a BMU helps, but it seems it depends on the type of noise / distortion you have on your mains, owners have said it has solved their problem completely, so it is down to suck and see, try and return. I get more BMUs back on the try and return if not happy than any other product.

Now we come to the thing I can't explain, with me in my house / system the BMU makes a large musical difference in terms of clarity and quality, so I have to use it for that reason. Again others say it has made no difference so it must be system dependent. Again it has to be suck and see. I have customers saying it is the best improvement they have made and others shrug their shoulders and say "what's it all about".

The bloody thing is an enigma.

Last edited:

Cloth-Ears.

Censored Wammer
Wammer
Jul 11, 2016
Pie Town NM
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can well believe some mains products do make a difference in some circumstances.

I reference the reality of hifi music sounding better later ( when I think electrically around our dwellings things are quiter and less being demanded of the system ). It can't just be psychology that. I guess there must be something in it, elecrtrically that I don't understand and may be difficult to proove by measurement.

I don't think I have a problem really. As my mains was testing and found to be fine during an install of a new consumer unit and a dedicated run off for my hifi system to get it away from everything else. 

For those who think they might have a problem then at least the trial of a BMU is without risk.

R

Richard Dunn

Well you cannot lump them all together UPS and similar filter, filtering means your remove content in some way as well as the problem (sometimes), in this case increased line impedance. DC blockers are filters but at the opposite end of the frequency band where they have far less bad influence on fluidity of your mains supply, but they do effect it a little. Transformers seem to be the best solution generally available, either in the form of isolation from the source mains supply which in theory means DC cannot jump the gap, or configured as +120v 0 -120v which has an added effect of noise cancellation. So in theory a BMU should solve the problems completely, and in some case it does, but I am completely puzzled as why on some occasions it doesn't.

I am now looking to the future but it wont be a NVA product as this will become standard within a decade the same as with electric cars. The banks of batteries as used by the like of Tesla fitted in a wall unit with AC in from the National Grid, being stored as DC and then converted back to AC out. OR even the potentail of DC supply lines in the house to power things like hifi that have transformers and actually function on rectified DC from the AC feed. Interesting as the very first local electrical feeds back in the early part of the 20th century were DC with lead acid battery back up, we are almost going back to the start again.

Myself and another electronic designer Nick Gorham have talked about this and come to the conclusion the test will be how well the inverter (dc to ac) is designed as it is easy for even more distortion to be added at this stage if the circuit is primative. Neither of us has the skills in our portfolio for this but a certain Colin Wonfor definitely has. I keep watch at Alibaba to see how the availabilty of the power packs / walls are progressing down in price, as the Tesla version is silly money at about £6k and a couple of k installation, but even that relative to some of the daft hifi pricing around could still make sense to some people. Interesting time ahead me thinks.

DSJR

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2008
Suffolk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought our mains here was pretty good, but I tried a BMU and missed it when it was removed, so I kept it. Subtle difference but for me an important one irrespective of the gear used via it... Since this early demo unit hums slightly at different times of day (proper production ones are quieter), I'm looking to one day make up a DC blocker to see if that helps - or hinders...

Last edited by a moderator:

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I moved into a new house, newer than the old one and detached, I found that SQ varied throughout the day, being best in the evenings. The BMU was the first NVA kit I bought, the return option being the deciding factor if it did not make a difference. Not only did SQ become consistent, but there was also an overall improvement. The BMU used to hum at times, especially early in the morning when it could be quite !oud. I recently bought a DC b!offer for around £80 from a link Richard provided. I plugged the BUM into it and it has been completely silent at all times. SQ is not affected.

mjd

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2008
dorset
AKA
Mike
Ziggy

Could you please provide information as to where you got your DC blocker from.

Thanks

Mike

R

Richard Dunn

I think I should post this here instead of 2 channel.

As I am getting lots of email and I know lots now view here, HFS (hifisubjectivist) is down, it looks like we have been hacked or had script added to the forum program. Our server has taken us down until we find and remove the script. Terry will be on it this evening so hopefully just a temp hiccup.

• Haha
Reactions: Trunky
R

Richard Dunn

Our server company has confirmed we have been hacked. We won't know how serious the problem is until this evening, but full back up is maintained so we will be back up and running ASAP.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Equally and equally genuinely sorry. I know what an utter pig of a situation that is, from first hand knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

DSJR

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2008
Suffolk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had heard of NVA for years and old posts many years ago spoke highly of the sonioc performance of these amps, but I only ever got a very brief listen to a system at a Heathrow show donkeys years ago. Four and a half years ago now (EEK!) I got to use the gear at home and was very pleasantly surprised, to the extent I ended up buying my loan BMU, TIS interconnect, Phono 2-single PSU and have been able to keep a basic NVA amp system here as well during that time, which gets plenty of use.

My opinion is that used as recommended, the products are actually very good indeed, putting the musical message before 'leading edge 'HiFi'' aspects that many gear-enthusiasts judge gear by. I grew up with the 'tune dem' approach - can I hear what the musicians are actually playing, are they 'playing melodies/tunes/harmonies or are they just making 'clear but rather tuneless sounds.' Sounds daft, but if you sing along to favourite songs as a matter of course, you're half way there in my experience (accepting that apparently, most men are tone deaf!). I find NVA gear in general makes this easy, especially at the price point asked. Doesn't stop me liking other gear too though, but competitive stuff is so much more expensive new I increasingly find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.