jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I’m a fan of Prog Rock, and agree with all the suggestions above. I have This album, which gives a good cross sections of selections. Have a listen. :)

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I don't (like prog)

Pretentious load of old bollocks most of it.

Record companies just allowed young (admittedly technically talented) musicians, who had far too vivid imaginations and far too many drugs, total leeway to express their pomposity.

Egos were satisfied by ridiculously long solos, where the musicians virtuosity took them absolutely nowhere except up their own arses.

The music was bought by an audience who also took far too many drugs and themselves far too seriously. (I was one of them)

Thank God for Punk which ultimately bought down the whole house (or rather magicians castle) of cards and burst the over inflated egos along with it.

I still have quite a few records from the genre but only a very few ever get an airing these days

Reactions: TheFlash

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jkbmusic wrote:

I’m a fan of Prog Rock, and agree with all the suggestions above. I have This album, which gives a good cross sections of selections. Have a listen. :)
I was bought this album, I think it's quite good, and I'm no fan of compilations.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:^notaclue wrote:

Here's a reasonable bit of prog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXU5dFGDbNQ You get your slow bits, your epic bits, your full ten minutes and everything.

Maybe it's all the prog you'll ever need in one song...
This is probably my favorite piece of music ever.

I have a video of them performing it in a french tv studio, people from a totally different era, Gabriel with his shaved head and flute, Hackett sitting on a stool with a 12 string, fascinating.

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tel wrote:

No I don't (like prog)Pretentious load of old bollocks most of it.

Record companies just allowed young (admittedly technically talented) musicians, who had far too vivid imaginations and far too many drugs, total leeway to express their pomposity.

Egos were satisfied by ridiculously long solos, where the musicians virtuosity took them absolutely nowhere except up their own arses.

The music was bought by an audience who also took far too many drugs and themselves far too seriously. (I was one of them)

Thank God for Punk which ultimately bought down the whole house (or rather magicians castle) of cards and burst the over inflated egos along with it.

I still have quite a few records from the genre but only a very few ever get an airing these days
Well there you have it the same cliched crap thats been spouted since the punk days. Which I was affected by until I pulled my head out of my arse and actually made up my own mind.

I've always liked Pink Floyd so I decided to delve a bit deeper into the other big bands of the early days of Prog so in came Yes - Fragile and from the moment the track Roundabout started I was hooked. So after a few more Yes albums I expanded into early Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, Camel, The Mars Volta, Marillion, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues.

Prog is such a wide ranging genre that its not easy to pin down after 40 years. Now how is it that exceptional properly trained musicians try to make music that stretches the boundaries of what is a very simplistic, intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, repeat, outro of Rock 'n' Roll become self indulgent egotistic showoffs is beyond me. Stick on Beethoven's 1st Symphony or early Sonata's, Mahler's 1st Symphony or any quality Classical and you could spout the same negative things. Prog is still going after 40 years with bands like The Mars Volta and has a huge amount of different styles, from Marillion to Genesis to Spock's Beard to post rock bands like Sigur Ros and Mogwai, I say whats not to the like, if you have a vague interest in quality music played by skilled creative musicians who don't repeat the tired old Rock and Folk formula's.

Dean...Off to put on Tales Of Topographic Oceans :D

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going to see them in March, doubt they will be doing "Witches Promise" though.

btw "Thick as a Brick" was a piss take, the music press labled their previous album a concept which Ian Anderson took offence to.

"you want a concept album, then you got it" hence Thick as a Brick.

Apologies if you knew all that. :^

ESK

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Euan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
notaclue wrote:

I suppose something like Can could be considered quite prog-ish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x76CeJBbJs8 .
Or would that be Krautrock....

Here's a nice tune. I discovered Italian prog this year and it is definitely something I'll be investigating further.

If you are genuinely interested then I recommend http://www.progarchives.com/. A well laid out site with lots of info on the various sub genres of prog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.