Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
Cornwall
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i just bought an old bowers and wilkins sub, it had been kept in a shed for a few years and smells like it but i only paid £20 ,

got it home and connect it to my system, the leads just into the sub and not back out to my speakers cause i dont have any more (but could make the ones ive got shorter)

the Subs got a little bit of a rattle to it though, a bit disappointing, the actual box isnt great the corner miters have opened up a little, i believe its a ported sub, no front grill just a box with one hole.

so my question is, does it sound like the sub is blown? and  is it worth my time trying to restore it if it has blown, im a carpenter so when i say restore i mean give it a clean and make a new box

thanks

20200624_182947.jpg

20200624_190457.jpg

Reactions: eddie-baby

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yep.  While you have it open, disconnect the driver from the cabinet and play some music just holding it your hand. If it still makes a funny noise, give the magnet a couiple of taps with a hammer.  If it still makes a funny noise, it's buggered.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for showing us what you've got and are trying. Photos are good as well.

I hate to tell you but that really is a pathetic little speaker to be called a sub, its more like a mid/bass unit. And the cabinet looks like its made out of chipboard as well. It will add some boom/low end there I'm sure if the makers have done their home work about ported cabinets. And if you'll be happy with what it does good, if its still working after testing the driver.

But subs have come on massively, and can be bought relatively cheap. You can pick up much better drivers than that for very little money, real sub bass speakers, beefier drivers and magnets, and look for a better cabinet material next time (if you do) say 18mm+ mdf, it'll give you a more solid sound.  

On saying that, I've had many a sub on a par with what you have now, some can actually be fun, especially if your main speakers are of limited size. They can add quite a bit of body to the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr neds

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2008
SE London, , Uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just looked up the sub after reading the post! I remember a lot of passive subs turning up at boot sales, so I was curious. Looks like one of the drivers is missing, going by the OPs photo?

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just looked up the sub after reading the post! I remember a lot of passive subs turning up at boot sales, so I was curious. Looks like one of the drivers is missing, going by the OPs photo?
We can only see one with the photo provided might be just the angle it may be in there. Passive subs can work well though, don't tend to see many passives for sale these days. I think it just evolved that way. AV had an active sub (usually) and actives became the norm, but the AV world formats continually change so who knows what the latest is now, I lost interest at Dolby Pro Logic :)  Who needs more than two channels (and maybe a sub) 

mr neds

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2008
SE London, , Uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think the article mentions two 6.5” drivers back to back, but then I can’t see how one would have fallen off and rolled out of a sealed box.....cue twilight zone music

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the article mentions two 6.5” drivers back to back, but then I can’t see how one would have fallen off and rolled out of a sealed box.....cue twilight zone music
Other side of that cavity maybe, can't tell with photo but you maybe right, it might have done a runner :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles