One speaker quieter and more muffled than other speaker. Not an amp problem. What could it be?

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Journey has come to an unfortunate end.

A glob of solder metal fell and fused with the tweeter foam, and in trying to get it out, I seared the tweeter foam a new one.

Guess I’ll be shopping a new one from Falcon Acoustics.
In case you are buying a new tweeter. Then please buy a pair sir. And replace both. Iam too dumb to qoute anything scientific. But when I was replacing my drivers, I was told to replace them as a pair. Just my 2 dumb cents :)

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
New Falcon Acoustic tweeters arriving today.

That was faster than expected, as I thought shipment was going to be in October.

I have ordered a replacement voice coil from Spain. Plan to do an A/B test. If that doesn't sound different, I will let people know.
How did it go?(y)(n)(y)

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Turns out the drivers were not correct. So ended up refunding them.

On a quest to find the right size and impedance voice coils, and if that doesn’t work, I’ll call it quits and get an OEN tweeter from ProAc.

Wyatt7

New Wammer
Apr 11, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To determine the issue with the faulty speaker, it's essential to identify whether the problem lies in the woofer or the crossover. Here are a few steps to follow:

Swap the speakers: Start by swapping the positions of the two speakers to see if the problem persists or moves to the other speaker. If it moves to the other speaker, the issue could be with the cables or amplifier. If it persists, proceed to the next step.

Listen closely: Listen carefully to the faulty speaker and identify the nature of the problem. Is it muffled or quieter than the other speaker? Is only a particular frequency or a range of sound affected more than others?

Inspect the woofer: If the issue is related to the bass frequencies, gently press the woofer with your finger to check it moves freely. If it feels stiff or doesn't move at all, the woofer may be damaged or not aligned correctly.

Inspect the crossover: If the issue relates to the mid or high frequencies, the crossover may be the problem. It directs different frequencies to the appropriate drivers, so inspect its connections for any looseness or damage.

Last edited:

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's an old thread but I heard it turned out to be a Mouses nest.
The Mice have been rehomed & all the babies are doing well, with young uns of their own now...apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: Strider and Gizza

Zaiden

Wammer
Dec 7, 2021
London
randomc.net
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve got a pair of replacement tweeters, now. They measure correct. But past few months have been really hectic - I just haven’t had the chance to put them in yet!

Reactions: garn63

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve got a pair of replacement tweeters, now. They measure correct. But past few months have been really hectic - I just haven’t had the chance to put them in yet!
Looking forward to hearing that you've fixed your ProAc's, I've redone the crossovers in mine and needed to swap out bass drivers due to an amplifier going full on DC on the output. Simple speakers built with quality parts.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
New Falcon Acoustic tweeters arriving today.

That was faster than expected, as I thought shipment was going to be in October.

I have ordered a replacement voice coil from Spain. Plan to do an A/B test. If that doesn't sound different, I will let people know.
Be very careful about the voice coils from Spain. I bought one that was allegedly a ‘drop in replacement’ for the tweeter I was repairing.

When the coils arrived not only were the coil terminations at 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock positions and the wires dressed straight down, rather than at 3 and 9 o’clock and pointing straight out, but a quick trial fit showed the coil was clearly too small.

The seller grudgingly accepted a return but I never got my money back as they allegedly ‘never arrived’ and it seems that most postal tracking services stop at the Spanish border.

Never again.

Update - I’ve just had a look in my eBay history and the seller ID was muniek214.

Reactions: bencat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online