opinions on subs

• NEW! Linn Owners Club CLICK HERE and please click join club to have full access.

jcr71

Wammer
Sep 30, 2021
Southampton
AKA
jason
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
what do people think of subs, do they have any place in a music system?

ive recently bought some Adam t5v speakers for my pc and im quite impressed with their sound.

they sell a matching sub and i was wondering if it would be worth picking up?

ive never owned a sub before, so know little about them.  

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried a couple, but it always sounded disconnected and false.

I didn't give them a massive go, or use any DSP etc, just the settings on the sub itself.

Ironically, when I was younger, I had a sub in my car bigger than the window and music sounded incomplete without one. Oh how times change.

• Upvote
Reactions: lindsayt

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used the fleshy appendages on the side of my head when integrating my current BK sub into my 2 channel music only system. I run a pair of NS1000M's and decided to see if extending the bottom end made a difference... I'm still not 100% sure that its better, but I definitely prefer in on than off/removed. I've also seen mention of the faffing about needed to dial a sub in, but when I see the pains some go to setting up their turntables, integrating a sub into my system was easy... :)

Reactions: deggie

chris_bates1974

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2016
Near Lutterworth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There does seem to be an ever-increasing number of people using subs - particularly in the US.

For me, I don't get it. The whole point of auditioning speakers is to find a pair that will give the kind of sound you're after, and I genuinely believe there is enough variety out there, at most price points, to satisfy most people.

• Upvote
Reactions: Blzebub

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not all bookshelf spakers have low bass or you don't on each side of your monitor have space for 8" speakers

if bassy speakers costs 1000 euros it might be chaper to buy smaller speakers and add a subwoofer

Last edited by a moderator:

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A good subwoofer that can play a proper tune and is properly integrated can work absolute wonders, even with larger main speakers.

Sadly a lot of subwoofers aren’t very good at music and lots are poorly integrated, hence their poor audio reputation.

ADAM Audio know their stuff, though - certainly the last sub of theirs I played with was excellent so you should be off to a good start!

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have rarely heard a well integrated sub, to be honest. My personal preference, certainly, would be for a slightly larger speaker if a lack of bass is the issue.

• Upvote
Reactions: MVJ

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have rarely heard a well integrated sub, to be honest. My personal preference, certainly, would be for a slightly larger speaker if a lack of bass is the issue.
You can't always have a bigger speakers but you can change to a speaker that sounds different in the bass

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly in my case, anything that meets with both the bass requirement and the WAF will probably not meet with the bank ballance approval..! [emoji24]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
should you match the subwoofer to the speakers bass performance,hz or should you use a high pass filter for the front speaker like 80hz for both to get the best bass ?

Shric0

Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
should you match the subwoofer to the speakers bass performance,hz or should you use a high pass filter for the front speaker like 80hz for both to get the best bass ?
I tried to match my speakers bass to a m & k sub, but no amount of fecking fiddling helped. In the end I got rid of the sub. 

I always wanted to enjoy music with that extra bass a sub makes, but it always sounded like a club pa system...overblown and just annoying. 

If buying a sub again, I'd look at a manufacturer that produces hifi speakers and their matching sub, just to help with integration. 

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried to match my speakers bass to a m & k sub, but no amount of fecking fiddling helped. In the end I got rid of the sub. 

I always wanted to enjoy music with that extra bass a sub makes, but it always sounded like a club pa system...overblown and just annoying. 

If buying a sub again, I'd look at a manufacturer that produces hifi speakers and their matching sub, just to help with integration. 
You could buy a mini dsp 

Last edited by a moderator:

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
what do people think of subs, do they have any place in a music system?
My personal and some may say controversial (or even wrong) view is that subs should generally be avoided in a hi-fi system.

Reasons:

1.  Sound - The synergy between the main speakers and subs is very difficult to get right, specially when the sub is from a different manufacturer as it usually is - the "house sound" of your main speakers (that led you to buy them in the first place) is often lost.

2. Cost - Why pay for 3 or 4 cabinets and more amps when you could pay for just 2 bigger speakers?

3. Aesthetics - Do you really want to clutter your room with extra boxes when you could use floor-standers that take little or no more space than your stand-mounts?

Stand-mount speakers are less than ideal as they need sturdy and costly stands that add nothing to improve their sound - they just prevent deterioration of the sound.  Floor standers are designed to offer an integrated sound so no special tuning required.  You may like the idea of room correction, although there are often associated disadvantages, and incorporating subs just adds to the work that room correction systems need to consider.  Peter - waiting for the flack from the many sub owners here!

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I posted my own summary on the use of subs in the first post of the following thread, and many others shared there own thoughts afterwards. It's worth a read @jcr71: