Options to convert from Preamp RCA out to Poweramp XLR balanced in?

Gazjam

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Near Glasgow
AKA
Gary
Been playing around with different pre and power amps the last while, seeing which combination works and sounds best.Turns out my Meridian 557 power amp (XLR and RCA) inputs has amazing synergy with a Densen DM20 Preamp (Boogie ‘n grunt is addictive)
but have a thought about connecting them up?

Densen is unbalanced RCA out only, and the Meridian’s best input (from Meridian forum and reviews back in the day) is its XLR inputs.

Wondering what’s the best way (if it can be done without a drop in gain or quality) to let me use XLR with my preamp?
know you can get adapters, and adapter cables to convert, but it’s not the same is it?

Looked  at the pro-audio side, 
There are “DI boxes” which seem to do the job of transformer converting RCA to XLR (rather than just an adapter that makes the connection physically fit), but you know...
Thats for guitar pedals n such.  :D

Looking to get the use of the Meridians XLR inputs from the Densen Preamp, is there an “Audiophile” solution for this?

Thanks Much.

Gaz

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Back in the day we used to call these things a 'balun'. Transformers are the common method, although it can also be done with active electronics. The Neutriks linked by Keith are transformer based, and should have a decent quality.

Gazjam

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Near Glasgow
AKA
Gary
Thanks Chaps.

Asked on DIY Audio as well, one of the guys came back with a circuit.
Much difference quality wise between transformer and active electronic methods?

thanks.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many adaptors just join cold (3) and Ground (1) together at the XLR end. Please don't buy some fancy pants audiophile stuff for outrageous prices, Keith is spot on with the Neutrik as they do the job, use pro grade plugs and don't make false claims.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Possibly need male XLR to female RCA: Neutrik NA2M-D2B-TX rather than the one Keith linked to.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have pair of these, in their original boxes, waiting to be used again one day.  Meanwhile, if it helps @Gazjam you are welcome to borrow them if you cover the postage cost.  Let me know if they’re of any interest. They simply convert the sockets, so you can use your usual RCA phono cable. In your case, you’d put them in the Meridian.  

I used them into my amp, so as to utilise one pair of the two balanced inputs offered. I’ve now got balanced cables from my streamer so they’re unused. 
0A0EC55D-1239-459E-AB42-62AB6F1D6A98.jpeg

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately that won't give you a true balanced connection which I think the OP was alluding to.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Bokke

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you really want to go ahead with a converter, send an email to Per Lundahl of Ludahl transformers. Ask him personally which if his products he'd recommend for the devices you intend to use, and he should get back to you in a couple of days. Reckon on £150-200 for a pair of transformers, though. Then you'd have to put them in some kind of box and wire them up to RCAs one end and XLRs the other. You'd only need 1:1+1 so hopefully minimum loss of clarity. 

This can be done with a single op-amp or a pair of op-amps which would be considerably cheaper if anyone can put that together for you. Could work off batteries. Pretty simple, but ideally you'd need a PCB. These PCBs are great. I've used one myself - all the right connections and thick good quality boards. Really good. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-opamp-pre-amplifier-PCB-featuring-good-rail-decoupling/222908785476?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately that won't give you a true balanced connection which I think the OP was alluding to.
No indeed, but I wasn’t aware that any single ended output could.  Do the transformers mentioned above create a pseudo-balanced effect?  I know some devices aren’t inherently balanced throughout, but nevertheless offer XLR outputs, and I believe a transformer does that*. And arguably it defeats the whole concept since it’s adding another element that otherwise isn’t what one seeks in a good set up. Better to use RCAs and be done with it, unless great lengths are required  

* Including my Linn streamer, I think. 

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess you could use one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finished-HIFI-unbalanced-to-balanced-unbalanced-to-balance-RCA-to-XLR-preamp/123684656294?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
How have you connecting them at the moment, I assume RCA cables, you're enjoying now so what's the problem; Are you sure you can tell the XLR input is preferable the RCA? I now we have an amplifier which recommends RCA's over XLR's, but in all honesty we really could not tell the difference

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its a non starter. Just use the RCAs. A balanced system needs to be planned and thought through and ideally balanced from start to finish.

Save your money for a phono stage with  a balanced out at least and then proceed ..

JACK nsm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles