Make it SO
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
North Devon
AKA
Jean-Luc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IIRC the 350s were introduced in 2008, 6 years before the Akubariks. Assuming the replacement is available late this year or early next year, a 15 year lifespan for the 350s is pretty good, particularly as they haven't been popular with some.

I know Linn put Class D amps in the Sneaky DSM and I think it no secret they have been putting more effort into Class D. I wonder if the replacement for the 350 integrated will feature these amps? Did the wee birdie flying around make any mention of this maddog_007?

I couldn't see Linn replacing the Akubarik with a new speaker just yet as its a more recent design and had has sold well for them but it looks like they may well ditch it in favour of a new design to partner Selekt level kit with the option of Katalyst or Organik DAC. One hopes they will offer existing integrated Akubarik users a generous trade in.

If they leave the Akubarik as is, the only way I can see it working with Organik DAC is to either have the speaker converted to passive and power it from a new Selekt 10 channel Exakt box with integrated amps or have it converted to active and feed it from a new Selekt 10 channel Exakt box without amps. Connecting this to existing power amps in the integrated Akubariks wouldn't be easy but by no means impossible.

Reactions: pirov and akamatsu

Make it SO

Make it SO
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
North Devon
AKA
Jean-Luc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I couldn't agree more although a rather pricier solution than I'm hoping for.

The Kudos isobaric bass drivers radiate forward into the room away from the front wall rather than downwards and 360 degrees lke the Akubariks. This means they can sit closer to the wall, so ideal and practical positions can be the same.

From my limited experience of Kudos Titans, they don't seem to aggravate LF room modes quite as much as the Akubariks. I might even be able to dispense with SO altogether!

They even sound good with the grills on.

I tried all of these arguments with Mrs Picard ... but the lady's not for turning. :(

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are after Organik in an Exakt System, just sell the Akubarik and go for a nice 2 way Kudos Titan System and an Organik Klimax Exaktbox with external amps. It’s absolutely worth it. 😉
How about this system:

Klimax DSM/3 Hub
Klimax Exaktbox (Organik)
Majik 2100 amps x 2
Katans (used and on proper stands)

This system would blow some minds. :)
Better than my Akubarik system? (minus the LP12)

Mark57

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Perhaps an Organik/2 might fit. The current iteration is, after all, only Linns first attempt at a DAC.

Reactions: Make it SO

DB1328

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
München
AKA
Jan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't forget about "time of flight" optimisation. Exakt isn't as exact without it. :)
I changed my Akudoriks with Exaktbox Sub and two 226 Bass Extensions to Kudos 505, Klimax Exaktbox (still Katalyst), only one 226 and an Akurate 4200. Together with Ben Webster we managed to integrate it to my Man Cave without SO. What should I say, it plays in another league, now. I was a big fan of SO2 before, but after we hit the spot it clicked in and now, it sounds lifeless and somehow wrong with SO2. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Make it SO

Make it SO
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
North Devon
AKA
Jean-Luc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the replies - a lot to think about (y)

I recently heard a high end Naim system in which the front end had been upgraded while the big B&W floorstanders had been replaced by Dynaudio Heritage Specials on stands. It was so much more musically engaging. Proof, (not that I needed it), that its always 'source first.'

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's starting to look like the Katalyst Akubariks will become a dead end product with value dropping like the Aktiv Akubariks. Who would buy Katalyst Akubariks today knowing about Organik? It was two years ago yesterday when I collected my Akubariks. I don't think I'd be looking at buying them now, given the uncertainty around what gets Organik (not the Akubariks). For this reason, I'm inclined to be one of the first to jump on a trade in scheme towards Klimax 350s, their replacement, as rumoured, or other integrated Organik speakers that Linn may introduce.

To Akubarik owners, I would recommend getting the Klimax DSM/3 hub now as it is such a huge improvement. It made me not think about Organik, for a while.

Reactions: pirov

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks for all the replies - a lot to think about (y)

I recently heard a high end Naim system in which the front end had been upgraded while the big B&W floorstanders had been replaced by Dynaudio Heritage Specials on stands. It was so much more musically engaging. Proof, (not that I needed it), that its always 'source first.'
Then again, it could also be proof that the Dynaudio Heritage Specials are more musical than the big B&W floorstanders they replaced. (Note this is totally conjecture as I have no idea which floorstanders are being discussed nor have I done any such comparison with current models. However the Heritages are quite musical speakers.)

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have the outboard solution for my 242s, in the form of an Exkatbox 10 and a pile of amplifiers. Even so, the only way for me to upgrade to Organik (and remain Exakted) would be to purchase 2 Exaktbox Klimaxes, which I would give me 12 channels of Organik Exakt output (while I need ”only” 10 channels).
While this is the only current way to do this I believe that the Akurate Exaktboxes will be upgraded to Organik over time. It might be a tight squeeze with the Exaktbox 10 but certainly the Exaktbox 6 should be doable. But maybe both. Linn might rename them when this happens but is likely to keep the same or similar case structure and make upgrades available for existing models. After all the Klimax amps and Radikal and the Akurate amps, Uphorik and Radikal are continuing in those case designs. At least currently Linn seems to feel that a different look for the source as opposed to the ancillaries is fine.

The Snug

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2014
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The recent decision of the Royal Mail to combat fraud with the introduction of datamatrix postage stamps has slashed thousands of pounds worth of value off my GB Definitives stamp collection. I am philosophical about this as I didn’t buy the stamps as an investment, but as an enjoyable hobby. I have a wonderful collection that gives me much pleasure. I will not be bothering to collect datamatrix stamps as they are ugly bits of paper by comparison.

In a similar vein I bought my Katalyst Akubariks nearly 4 years ago to allow me to enjoy music in my retirement. I knew that someday they would become a dead-end product, but then again, at the age of 65 so am I. In the meantime, I am more than happy to sit in my music den and appreciate what I have. I may add a couple of cushions for comfort and tweak performance with the purchase of a late model Klimax System Hub, but that’s the end of my journey as far as the core system is concerned.

I have finally learned that the best tip for anyone in this hobby is to avoid Hi-Fi forums – they only mess with your head (and bank balance) ;-)

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Katalyst Akubariks, and enjoyed reading this thread with interest, with the banter and speculation

I am loving my Katalyst Akubariks immensely, as they are.

‘’Would I like to upgrade them to Organik, if the opportunity arises in the future? Yes, but I don’t feel I am missing anything at the moment

Just a thought, but if Linn is thinking of finding a solution to providing Organik DAC’s on board the Akubariks, there is some real estate under the Akubarik’s stands. The space between the plinth and the floor may provide the space required to move some of the electronics outside of the amplification modules and then move the Organik DAC’s inside the amplification modules?

Linn could also add a discrete DAC module between the back of the Akubariks and the current amplification module, providing a sandwich effect, with a thin DAC module in the middle, or some variant of that idea.

Reactions: Tendaberry

stuarts

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 3, 2018
While this is the only current way to do this I believe that the Akurate Exaktboxes will be upgraded to Organik over time. It might be a tight squeeze with the Exaktbox 10 but certainly the Exaktbox 6 should be doable.
Fingers crossed!

pirov

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 25, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's starting to look like the Katalyst Akubariks will become a dead end product with value dropping like the Aktiv Akubariks. Who would buy Katalyst Akubariks today knowing about Organik? It was two years ago yesterday when I collected my Akubariks. I don't think I'd be looking at buying them now, given the uncertainty around what gets Organik (not the Akubariks). For this reason, I'm inclined to be one of the first to jump on a trade in scheme towards Klimax 350s, their replacement, as rumoured, or other integrated Organik speakers that Linn may introduce.

To Akubarik owners, I would recommend getting the Klimax DSM/3 hub now as it is such a huge improvement. It made me not think about Organik, for a while.
My thinking exactly. I can't imagine Linn selling many Katalyst Akubariks today with 'inferior' DACs: either they find a way of incorporating Organik (unlikely everyone seems to agree), or there has to be a new 'speaker with Organik built in – maybe based on current Akubarik design, and perhaps with upgraded amps.

No Organik for Akubariks at least provides incentive for those of us in this cul-de-sac to investigate other upgrades. I agree the Klimax DSM/3 Hub is great. I'm waiting for a Lyra Etna (14 weeks and counting!).

Reactions: entdgc and akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My thinking exactly. I can't imagine Linn selling many Katalyst Akubariks today with 'inferior' DACs: either they find a way of incorporating Organik (unlikely everyone seems to agree), or there has to be a new 'speaker with Organik built in – maybe based on current Akubarik design, and perhaps with upgraded amps.

No Organik for Akubariks at least provides incentive for those of us in this cul-de-sac to investigate other upgrades. I agree the Klimax DSM/3 Hub is great. I'm waiting for a Lyra Etna (14 weeks and counting!).
My priority is to get the Ekstatik before going Organik, whatever guise that will take. Upstream, especially source improvements are just so much more impactful. My Kandid is only two years old, so, hopefully, I'll get at least another year play out of it. I've been wearing it out at a rapid pace. Perhaps it will all come together next year with the 50th. A good stock market rebound would help. :)

NL.

Wammer
Jan 8, 2019
Belgrade, Serbia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard very similar system last year and liked the sound very much. It consisted of NDX2+PS555, Nac 252+Supercap, Nap300 and DY Heritage specials. Incredible sound from such a small 2 way speaker box. I’m sure it would have enough power to drive much bigger DY, Kudos… or even passive Akubariks :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online