Linn Owners

Organik Linn Strategy Advice

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Linn has at at significant cost developed Organik upgrades for KDSM and KDS.
Since current smiley face Klimax ssystems are no longer available,
If I were Linn I would put these "upgrade" boards (without trafos) in a "Akurake Level" Chassis and let them be the Akurate DSM Organik range.
Zero cost and clear diffeentiation from current NGKDSM.

What do you guys think?

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never wanted or owned a DSM...
Bought my ADS in 2012,being an 'oldie' I like to keep my music system separate from externals like tv etc. Upgraded DS to Katalyst in 2018...and was blissfully happy 'till I became aware of the Organik 'upgrade'.
Now I own a KDS/Organik as of today and once I am (again !) blissfully happy! 😀.
From the brief listening session this afternoon the sheer musicality of this new Dac has confirmed what I experienced in the dem room @ Loud n Clear Glasgow ,Wow!.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d like the option to upgrade Akurate with Organik, just as we could with Katalyst. But the noises aren’t too encouraging that this is in the pipeline.

Now the Akurate LP12 has been improved and renamed Selekt, I think that’s where Organik may reach next.

Last edited:

CounterTenor

Wammer
Mar 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It makes great financial sense for Linn to offer some sort of Organik DAC board for the Akurate level DSMs and ExaKt crossovers. They have touted flexibility and the option to upgrade devices for years, and this would also be in keeping with their company philosophy.

Reactions: maddog_007

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It makes great financial sense for Linn to offer some sort of Organik DAC board for the Akurate level DSMs and ExaKt crossovers. They have touted flexibility and the option to upgrade devices for years, and this would also be in keeping with their company philosophy.
When I bought a KDS/Katalyst with the intention at some point of upgrading to Organik I soon realised the large gap in performance of an ADS/Katalyst
and it's big brother!.
Klimax power/electronics are on another level of performance altogether..
Putting Organik in anything other than Klimax would degrade it's potential and defeat Organiks game changing achievements.
When I decided to go down this route I had to say goodbye to my trusty ADS/Katalyst in my possession since 2012.
I am perfectly happy with the eventual outcome performance wise.

CounterTenor

Wammer
Mar 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Putting Organik in anything other than Klimax would degrade it's potential and defeat Organiks game changing achievements.

While Linn may use the Organik DAC, they will not use everything else that separates the Klimax level from the Akurate level. They did put Katalyst in the Akurate after the Klimax, and there remained a huge difference in SQ using the same technology. This would be the case with the Organik, so there would not be this “degrading” of which you speak.

Last edited:

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'm pretty sure the Akurate DS and DSM will go away and not be upgraded to Organik with that DAC technology instead moving to the Selekt DSM, which will take over as the mid level Linn offering. The recent changes to the LP12 models is a good indication of this direction. I believe Organik will come to the Akurate Exakt crossovers but don't be surprised if they undergo a name change when it happens.

CounterTenor

Wammer
Mar 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the ExaKtboxes will likely get the upgrade, while the DS players may not, as well. Nevertheless, there are a lot of them out there and Linn would make much more money providing an upgrade than hoping many will sell off to buy new.

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

While Linn may use the Organik DAC, they will not use everything else that separates the Klimax level from the Akurate level. They did put Katalyst in the Akurate after the Klimax, and there remained a huge difference in SQ using the same technology. This would be the case with the Organik, so there would not be this “degrading” of which you speak.
I used to own an ADS/Katalyst before i decided to go down the Organik rabbit hole.
I bought a KDS/Katalyst and compared both machines side by side...the difference in quality was enormous!.Klimax internals are built to a much higher level than Akurate was.
Having heard Organik in a KDS I put in an order for the upgrade without any qualms.
Katalyst was really good and well worth the £1.8k I paid for the upgrade.
Organik is a real game changer in every respect, my lowly KDS is now a completely different beast! 😀

Harryup

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Stockholm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not so sure that this FPGA is more costly than buying DAC's when there is a shortage of everything and a DAC supplier factories went up in flames.
The advantage is that these circuits can do much more than just DAC-work. And there are more suppliers. So I hope for Organik in all produced levels. Then there is still different levels of housing, numbers of connections, different qualities of circuit boards, power supplies etc. that might influence the sound quality.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So today Linn announced Organik for Selekt DSM. Any idea of the price?
See post #44 for US prices - https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/announcement-tweet.112632/page-3#post-2310132

UK prices:

SELEKT DSM COMPONENTS*
Selekt DSM: Edition Hub 9,950
Selekt DSM: Classic Hub 4,900
Mono Line Out Cartridge (sold as pair) 1,500 For dual-mono configuration. Requires pair of Mono
Organik DAC modules.
Stereo Line Out Cartridge 460 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Power Out Cartridge 855 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Hybrid Cartridge 660 Requires 1x DAC module.
Mono Organik DAC (sold as pair) 5,500 For dual-mono configuration with Mono Line Out
cartridges.
Stereo Organik DAC 3,250 For use with any stereo cartridge.
Stereo Katalyst DAC 1,500 For use with any stereo cartridge.
Stereo Standard DAC 220 For use with any stereo cartridge.
HDMI Upgrade Module 750 With eArc capability
DSP Surround Sound Module 1,095 Requires HDMI Upgrade Module
*When purchased in conjunction with Selekt hub
SELEKT DSM UPGRADES
Mono Line Out Cartridge (sold as pair) 1,875 For dual-mono configuration. Requires pair of Mono
Organik DAC modules.
Stereo Line Out Cartridge 575 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Power Out Cartridge 1,070 Requires 1x DAC module.
Stereo Hybrid Cartridge 826 Requires 1x DAC module.
Mono Organik DAC (sold as pair) 6,875 For dual-mono configuration with Mono Line Out
cartridges.
Stereo Organik DAC 4,060 For use with any stereo cartridge.

’troll

Last edited:
Reactions: airV

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Craigas - The best way to visualize it is to consider a standard line output card with both a left and right output (XLR and RCA). Now visualize two cards, each one has a single XLR/RCA connector. One of these boards handles the left signal and one handles the right. They each occupy a slot in the SDSM vs one slot for the stereo version. Also there are technically two Organik DACs in a mono configuration (one on each card).

From a signal path point of view it can produce superior results to a single stereo card and is definitely an interesting option when upgrading to Organik. It all comes down to what you would like achieve, what you can hear, and if you want to invest in the dual mono configuration as it is more expensive.

Going to check with my dealer to see what he is going to set up and go for by for a listening session.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just out of interest and lack f knowledge, if Dual Mono is better the normal configuration (in all products, not just Linn) why is all hi end stereo not built that way ? Is it "better" or just "different".

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just out of interest and lack f knowledge, if Dual Mono is better the normal configuration (in all products, not just Linn) why is all hi end stereo not built that way ? Is it "better" or just "different".
I’m not an engineer, but imagine that making something “dual mono” does not, automatically, make it better. The designer/ manufacturer needs to be capable of making it better. I’m thinking noise levels and matching of outputs for starters.

’troll

Reactions: ToddH and hodge555

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online