Club statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Linn Owners

Organik upgrade for KDS/1. Is it worth it without Exakt?

The Wam Show 2022 Confirmed, click to read more.

morbius

Wammer
Jun 15, 2019
My Katalyst KDS had its Organik upgrade today, and it’s a huge step forward. Much more holographic, bass is considerably more developed and textured, drums sound real, fuller sound with stronger transients, just everything is better. I think the magnitude of the upgrade is a steal at the price.

linntroika

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2012
This is very promising , i have just recently purchased a KDS3 katalyst which I'm delighted with . I use a 52/scdr and still prefer this presentation over the DVC and KK. My intention is to keep the katalyst dac for a year and then upgrade to either a 552dr or Organik dac . Would be very interesting to see what would bring the biggest upgrade (i cant afford both ) but on money terms either a 552dr or organik would be around the same price

morbius

Wammer
Jun 15, 2019
This is very promising , i have just recently purchased a KDS3 katalyst which I'm delighted with . I use a 52/scdr and still prefer this presentation over the DVC and KK. My intention is to keep the katalyst dac for a year and then upgrade to either a 552dr or Organik dac . Would be very interesting to see what would bring the biggest upgrade (i cant afford both ) but on money terms either a 552dr or organik would be around the same price
You mention DVC, and at Katalyst level I'd say I was in two minds vs analogue volume control via my Vitus integrated amp (which has a fixed 0db volume mode for DVC sources). With Organik, I think I am finally ready to commit to DVC, but it's early days. So as you consider your upgrade path, worth considering capability to support DVC. I recall some Naim pre's have an AV bypass feature, but I don't know the details.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
UK
AKA
Nestor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You would need to audition. To me the NAC552DR has a distinctive sonic signature, whereas other top preamps I’ve heard sound more or less the same (Linn, Chord and Music First). If you like the Naim sound then you will probably go for NAC552DR. As stated earlier in the thread, my preference is for Linn’s DVC as inserting one of the transparent preamps makes no discernible difference. If you have the opportunity to try some options then you’ll soon know which you prefer: the NAC552DR does sound decidedly different.

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer Plus
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ordered my Organik upgrade for my KDS....
15 min job according to dealer...

5 mins audition was enough time to make this decision....reminds me of when I first heard Katalyst!.

Still not convinced by the looks of the new Klimax enclosure...sounds excellent tho'...

Dealer says he's sold a few upgrades and NGKDSM's,cannae wait fur mine!.

Elvin

Apr 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just received an email from Linn promoting Organik. They say that Organik upgrades are available for ALL KDS variants.
I only do major upgrades every 10 years or so. I have absolutely no intention of going Exakt or changing my Keltiks which I've had for decades for "Organik Klimax 350s".
Is there any point in upgrading just the KDS/1 to Organik (if any good) without the rest of the system being Exakt/Organik?
Hi Imseti,

seems like there are not many pre exakt KDS around anymore.

I listened to my upgraded KDS/1 for a week now and can say that for me the upgrade was worth it. Exakt and Katalyst upgrades didn’t convince me when I heard them at dealers and I thought money would better be spent elsewhere.

In my system the KDS/O connects to a KK/1 and then into aktive Komris.
The Organik upgrade improved a lot of things without loosing anything of the rhythmic quality and flow my system is especially trimmed for. In Hifi terms one could call it better soundstage, much better separation of individual instruments, a more natural sound of instruments, better transients, more natural decay of sound... but like always it would be best to listen to it for yourself in your own system.

Best regards

Elvin