Phono preamp

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Hopefully this topic will porve less contentious than the last Istarted . Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced phono preamp that has adjustable gain & is preferably valve? My current cartridge is a Lyra Lydian but fed through my current phono stage (Audio Innovations) the sound is far too loud & even with resistors in the preamp/power amp circuit it is almost impossible toset the volume low enough. I suspect that this was because it was equalised for the very low output Linn cartridges. I should love to buy the wares offered by a certain Scottish dealer including the new Manley but that will have to wait until I win the lottery! I suspect I'm going to end up with the Trichord or Yoshino but if there's anything better out there I'd like to know.

Stefan Herber

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a Lyra Dorian into a Tirchord Dino+ and is a good match.

I'm hoping to move to either a Trichord Diablo NC or a Whest phono, both are adjustable but both solid state.

As for valve based ones, someone on PFM was very happy with the one supplied from Icon Audio which seems very good value but I'm not sure how this compares to Yoshino.

Other valve ones are a Audio Research one (ph3 or something like that)which Dynamic Turtle round here uses (I think) and also BAT make a very nice one as well. These are up nearer to £2k mark though.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
is it the P2? supposed to be excellent, if you sell it, let me know
wink.png
biggrin.png

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Two matters- it's the Lyra Argo not Lydian- I don't know why I mix these up. I'm not sure of the model of the Audio Innovation bit it's the two box setup which preceded their current one box phono preamp. Obviously if replaced I'd be happy to sell it.

Stefan Herber.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Reasonably priced valve phono would be the Icon Audio PS1retailing £449.95 as mentioned above. Pure triode all the way through, separate PSU etc.

Other option for a tube phono pre would be Project Tube Box. Switchable load settings, highly tweakable. £300 new or around £150 for a decent second hand example.

Then there is the EAR range, whats your budget?

G

i use a dino with the upgraded ps and i am very happy with it ,being fed the gyro, sme v and denon dl304. not many things in this game keep me happy i can tell you:p.

paid £ 300 for it off hififorsale.com.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
stefanher wrote:

AND it's the Audio Synthesis not the Audio Illusions. Gone are the days when I knew the name of virtually every manufacturer in the country..
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
Which Audio Synthesis model do you have? Is it the 'Passion' or the earlier model?

These stages are factory matched to the cart you intend on using it with. The 'Passion' is a fantastic stage, the possible replacements noted fromwon't give you anything more, if very little. It still retails for £1295.00 if its the 'Passion'.

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
kingsxfan wrote:

Reasonably priced valve phono would be the Icon Audio PS1retailing £449.95 as mentioned above. Pure triode all the way through, separate PSU etc.
Hawk is a very busy man at present, but I believe he runs his Orbe through one of these.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
AdamK wrote:

kingsxfan wrote:
Hawk is a very busy man at present, but I believe he runs his Orbe through one of these.
I'm a big fan of Icon kit, I'm sure its superb!

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Not it's the earlier Audio Synthesis- looks like the Passion but in 2 boxes with the most fragile power stage wiring I've ever seen. Nevertheless sounds great- just too loud!

Stefan

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Biscuit wrote:

have you spoken to Audio Synthesis to see if there is anything they can do to lower the output for you?
They will gladly do this, nice chaps and agood phono stage. Very well received when launched originally.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
kingsxfan wrote:

Biscuit wrote:
have you spoken to Audio Synthesis to see if there is anything they can do to lower the output for you?
They will gladly do this, nice chaps and agood phono stage. Very well received when launched originally.
Call David Heaton @ Audio Synthesis - a very helpful chap to deal with.

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Sure- it means the preamp is out of action for several weeks leaving me with no choice but to listen to CD. Audio Synthesis are happy to modify the unit but then I

a) Have to pack it up

b)Find time to take it the Post Office

c)Concentrate on CD until its returned- this may be a while

d)Repeat the process if I change the cartridge.

I can't possibly live with ©

Stefan Herber

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Yes this may be what I end up with- but hifi news tell me it has poor treble & woolly bass. What do others think & has anybody comapared it to the Icon?

Stefan

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am quite happy with the overall sound of the EAR, and it does respond well (so I have heard) to Tube rolling , power cables and things like nordost points help as well.

I sometimes use mine with a Gyro SE/QC, SME IV, Rohmann, into a Classe Audio power and Rogers Studio 1.

I find it to be quite well behaved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles