Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many of you know the story . One day fellow wammers might actually get to hear these and one pair might find another home... so, requiring a moment's escape from the grind, I thought I'd set up an Owners Club with links to related posts.

Enjoy.

IMG_5880.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nopiano

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This post is about Morel 704 speakers but opens with this from @SMEagol:

"I've always had a weak spot for Morel drivers ever since owning one of my all time favourite speakers The Posselt Albatross, looking like a classic Tapered Quarter Wavelength in piano black with marble bases they were something else.

The horn loaded tweeter and both mids were Morels, and they sounded incredible. So anyway, cut to eBay, I'd had a couple of beers and happened across these Morel 704's which were new old stock from 1994."

Reactions: Fourlegs

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, this shouldn't have made much difference but did.

When I first attached my granite plinths to the teak Posselts, I used a 15mm stack of rubber tap washers as the spacers. One day I was going to replace them with wooden "bobbins" the same height, to replicate the original design as per the black pair... unlikely to make any sonic difference, just being a completist.

That day was last week. Courtesy of a donor oak curtain pole, ruler, saw and drill, eight bobbins were made. I installed the bobbins on Monday evening. Gosh. Noticeably tighter bass. No difference in size of gap. I guess the fact that the cabinet is now properly coupled to, rather than isolated from, the granite plinths must be it.

If I'd known, I would have done this ages ago. Very pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So has the price just gone up by £100? Or are they withdrawn [emoji38]

Edit: forget that just saw it's the teak pair [emoji16]

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So has the price just gone up by £100? Or are they withdrawn
emoji38.png

Edit: forget that just saw it's the teak pair
emoji16.png

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
This is the Posselt Albatross Owners’ thread - keep up.

If you want to buy the black ones, I can make the price as high as you want. Expectation bias being what it is, the more you pay, the inkier the blacks obviously. PM me. :)

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am pleased to report that my black Posselt Albatrosses have been sold to a fellow wammer who shall no doubt step forward before long.

PS. Got a rush of serious interest in the last week or so: it was either those proper pics and/or people wanting to get themselves sorted for a possible winter lockdown...

sidsmut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 16, 2010
Cambridgeshire, UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't deny or hide it any longer; I am the new owner of the black Posselt Albatrosses. I am still learning about their sound and I will post in here when I think I have the words and thoughts to best sum them up. For now, enjoying listening and looking forward to upgrading the rest of my 2nd system kit to get the best I can on my budget.

volante

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2008
London, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't deny or hide it any longer; I am the new owner of the black Posselt Albatrosses. I am still learning about their sound and I will post in here when I think I have the words and thoughts to best sum them up. For now, enjoying listening and looking forward to upgrading the rest of my 2nd system kit to get the best I can on my budget.
Sounds like it's time for you to move them on !

• Haha
Reactions: TheFlash

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok here goes, did anyone try bi wiring them. I know it's a tricky topic, but have heard some speakers respond to the option?
Not me.

Is your question only about the Posselts? There are fewer than a handful of owners here so few if any will be able to comment.

It's not a tricky topic! Bi-wiring with the same spec of cable simply doubles the amount of copper (or whatever) you're using. If it was sufficient to carry the current in th first place - as most speaker cable is - you're not going to hear a difference. If you were using underspecced bellwire, you'd be as well-off using a single decent spec cable (Van Damme will do nicely).

Bi-amping may have a different effect due to two amplifiers being in the mix and possibly - possibly - to some sort of signal separation though there are as many arguments against that as for it.

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
Thanks

Yes indeed just Posselts. Have put them in my AV system as front speakers their height and dimensions made them ideal candidates .

I did indeed put in some bi wire but more because the wire that I had fancied was only available in that configuration.

By the time you have set up to listen there are so many other sources it's impossible to hear what's doing what anyway.

Was really just part of bit of lockdown fiddling.

• Haha
Reactions: TheFlash

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks

Yes indeed just Posselts. Have put them in my AV system as front speakers their height and dimensions made them ideal candidates .

I did indeed put in some bi wire but more because the wire that I had fancied was only available in that configuration.

By the time you have set up to listen there are so many other sources it's impossible to hear what's doing what anyway.

Was really just part of bit of lockdown fiddling.
Love it!

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I may now believe in burn-in... of electronics, not cables - I'm not daft!

I've been in Kendal all week; working so nowhere near as much time to listen to music as I would like but I've probably put another 50 or so hours on the Audia Flight amp. AF say to give the amp 200 hours but I'd sort of sniffed at that. Well blow me(1).

Crikey, these Posselts are sounding good (this week, to my ears, in my room(2)). Great soundstage as ever, all the clarity and balance a man might wish for, and deeper bass than I remembered. I suppose feeding them with high current Audia Flight goodness does them a favour, but they really are very enjoyable indeed.

Just saying.

(1)this is a turn of phrase, not an actual invitation

(2)other caveats are available, please check local stockist for details

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles