Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After a reasonable amount of trial and occasional error testing through several bake offs, I think I am going to go down the route of bi-amping my big Snells.

Mid and treble will be picked up by 300B loveliness or similar, but that is for later - my KT88 amp can do that for now. 

Considering now the amplification for the bass units which have 12” drivers in sealed boxes with a separate crossover (I guess more of a filter ) up to 200hz.

I immediately thought of class D but not sure the impedance is going to be in spec (my valve pre output impedance is c. 5kohm). What would you recommend new or second hand with the following specs?;

- 200w plus 

- input impedance 50k plus

- with output / volume control 

- under £1k

Last edited by a moderator:

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For serious bass grunt Richard I don’t think you can beat my Behringer KM750 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_km750.htm

you could even use them as monoblocks  as I do for less than £400.  
there is an individual vol control for each channel to help you balance the grunt against your valves.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For serious bass grunt Richard I don’t think you can beat my Behringer KM750 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_km750.htm

you could even use them as monoblocks  as I do for less than £400.  
there is an individual vol control for each channel to help you balance the grunt against your valves.
I immediately thought of this brand but Input impedance is quoted as 14k ohm, would that be an issue?

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I immediately thought of class D but not sure the impedance is going to be in spec (my valve pre output impedance is c. 5kohm). What would you recommend new or second hand with the following specs?;

- 200w plus 
You mention Class D and I think you may be well advised to follow that route.  My own speakers (Avantgarde Duo XDs) have powered subs with twin 12" drivers per channel and built-in Class D amplification.

Although outside your £1K budget, you may find a used one occasionally as this is a newly introduced model – the NAD C298.  It has variable gain by adjusting the rear panel control.  This should probably be preferable to conventional front panel volume control.  It uses the best Class D technology available at present, Purifi's Eigentakt.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/c298-stereo-power-amplifier

You'll see from the back panel that you can feed the C298 with balanced or single-ended signal so this may be a useful feature if your preamp offers both, or there's a single-ended pre-out that could feed your KT88 amp - either could avoid the need for Y interconnects.  There's also a triggers so you don't need to turn it off or on if your preamp has a trigger too.

My own amp is the NAD M33 that features the same amp module but it comes with full preamp, streamer, room correction, etc at a price of £4K - but still a bargain and good enough to justify its use to power £32K speakers.  I chose it over a dozen other amps at prices from £5-8+K

Reactions: Nopiano and lostwin

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I immediately thought of this brand but Input impedance is quoted as 14k ohm, would that be an issue?
They work fine on the end of my type 26 DHT preamp ….not sure what it’s requirements are with it being a none off build.  The only negative point is you can hear the cooling fan when no music is playing ….but it’s a minor issue fur me given the performance they give…..750 watt monoblocks for £280 is insane value imho 

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You mention Class D and I think you may be well advised to follow that route.  My own speakers (Avantgarde Duo XDs) have powered subs with twin 12" drivers per channel and built-in Class D amplification.

Although outside your £1K budget, you may find a used one occasionally as this is a newly introduced model – the NAD C298.  It has variable gain by adjusting the rear panel control.  This should probably be preferable to conventional front panel volume control.  It uses the best Class D technology available at present, Purifi's Eigentakt.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/c298-stereo-power-amplifier

You'll see from the back panel that you can feed the C298 with balanced or single-ended signal so this may be a useful feature if your preamp offers both, or there's a single-ended pre-out that could feed your KT88 amp - either could avoid the need for Y interconnects.  There's also a triggers so you don't need to turn it off or on if your preamp has a trigger too.

My own amp is the NAD M33 that features the same amp module but it comes with full preamp, streamer, room correction, etc at a price of £4K - but still a bargain and good enough to justify its use to power £32K speakers.  I chose it over a dozen other amps at prices from £5-8+K
Very interesting, thanks. I am somewhat outside my comfort zone with this type of amp hence seeking advice - this looks really interesting and bang on spec 👍

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They work fine on the end of my type 26 DHT preamp ….not sure what it’s requirements are with it being a none off build.  The only negative point is you can hear the cooling fan when no music is playing ….but it’s a minor issue fur me given the performance they give…..750 watt monoblocks for £280 is insane value imho 
It’s a very tempting option Keith, at this sort of price you almost can’t lose.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well if you use the distance selling regs ‘scam’ you could test drive a pair fir a week and return them if they didn’t suit your setup 

Reactions: lostwin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.