Linn Owners

Power Supply upgrade reco for LP12 Valhalla

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Budget obviously comes into play and I'm not sure where you are located (although the above quoted "4K" these days is pretty much parity with £$€ being what they are). I have the fortune to have 3 LP12s here that span the decades. The early '73 one is interesting as a piece of history so let's ignore that. My other two are (a) pretty close to what you are looking at and (b) a close to Klimax level one. I don't think that you get more 'hifi' as you go up the ladder - it's better to think of it as losing noise or gaining clarity. My temptation would be to get the basics as good as you can and then tailor the signature to you hearing by choice of cartridge. My (a) LP12 is Ittok, Lingo (1, serviced), Kore, Cirkus based. It has an Ortofon 2M Black which I really like - but I'm pretty sure from what you say that it would be far to bright for you. A warm MC may well be just what you are looking for. Building a n LP 12 with a Lingo 4 from used parts and new Karousel for under 4K is a stretch (it can be done). If you then include a decent MC and phono stage then no - its way over budget. The Karousel is very nice - but an excellent used Cirkus can be had for much less money - and they are very good. Used Kores are rare - but at least you would be looking for a Linn fit version (given the Ittok). If you are in the UK then I would go Lingo 1 or 2 and have it serviced at Class A. The service is a no brainer at £100. Kf you're tight on budget - and would like a Karousel - then I'd go Majik chassis over kore. So, minimum for an Ittok LP12 with a 4k budget would be Majik Sub, Serviced L1 (or 2), almost new Cirkus or new Karousel (500 difference here) and then cartridge to suit (MC with probably a Linto - budget 1200 for the pair - this is likely the budget breaker). If the MC/Phono is not required then get the nicest sounding MM that you find and put the 8-900 into the LP12. If the Ittok is a good one then that is the keeper - very little comes close and when it does can cost twice the money. Target: Ittok, Kore, Karousel, L4 (big stretch) or serviced L1/2 and then cartridge to suit. I suspect that my (a) LP12 and then fitted with a rebuilt Troika and Linto would suit you very nicely but only your ears can decide.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey
I have just received the Linn Akurate LP12 with the Dynavector cartridge DV20x2 H (High Output MC).
I'm just surprised by the setting my retailer did ...
The specs for this cartridge tracking force are 1.8 - 2.2 g and here is the setting on my Akito arm ... just a bit more than 1.5. What do you think ?
Right now, I'm not enthusiastic :'( about the sound ... maybe the time for the cartridge burnin.
Do I need to modify the settings to have a more relaxed sound ? Looks like the current settings are out of the specs in regards of the cartridge.
Thanks for your help.
IMG_9402.JPG

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hey
I have just received the Linn Akurate LP12 with the Dynavector cartridge DV20x2 H (High Output MC).
The specs for this cartridge tracking force are 1.8 - 2.2 g and here is the setting on my Akito arm ... just a bit more than 1.5. What do you think ?
Right now, I'm not enthusiastic :'( about the sound ... maybe the time for the cartridge burnin.
Do I need to modify the settings to have a more relaxed sound ? Looks like the current settings are out of the specs in regards of the cartridge.
Thanks for your help.
That’s not the tracking force adjustment, it’s the anti-skate (bias)
If the cartridge is new, it probably just needs to run in.

‘troll

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The tracking force indication is on the back of the counterweight. I have found the DV20X2 to generally be most musical at 1.95 grams. The anti-skating should be adjusted by ear but on an Akito 3 will generally be pretty close to a match for the tracking force.

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hey
Thanks for your help.
IMG_9402.JPG
oh you're going to get a lot of advice with a post like this.

• Haha
Reactions: Moomintroll

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the possibility with my retailer to revert to the Krystal cartridge with a Heed Quasar as MC stage. I’m thinking about that possibility …

Last edited:
Reactions: mskaye

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have the possibility with my retailer to revert to the Krystal cartridge with a Heed Quasar as MC stage. I’m thinking about that possibility …
The DV20x2 is really a step below the Krystal - price wise at least. The XX-2 is the better comparison. I thought the Krystal was an improvement in every way over the XX-2 that it replaced and especially on a Linn arm or Aro (which I have) and taking advantage of the three hole mounting. Maybe just maybe, the Dynavector "rocked" a little harder. But in every way, the Krystal bettered it. More musical, tracked silently, overall more organic and natural sounding. Seriously lovely at times on singer songwriter and chamber music.

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK and jigsaw

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you @mskaye I also think the Krystal is the way to go.
Even if the dynavector is not yet burn in, I cannot find the sound that I liked few weeks ago from my Akurate with the Krystal.
I agree with you the dynavector sounds a bit less relaxed …

Reactions: ThomasOK

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Reactions: jigsaw

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello ! the Krystal and Quasar are on the way. Should be there in less than 15 days …

Reactions: mskaye

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The dealer may also have used a stylus force gauge, rather than relying only on the counterweight dial.

Reactions: ThomasOK

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone,
just to let you know that the Linn Krystal MC cartridge + the Heed Quasar phono stage are in place now for 15 days. I cannot be more happy.
The sound is just so refined, that's a giant step forward for me.
By the way, I'm waiting for Harbeth C7ES3 with Tontrager stands very soon :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online