Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First I've heard of that(?) The lossy connection was still there.
Yes it was, for over a decade until the Keel came out. Going from Cirkus sub-chassis to Kore was a huge improvement, with Cirkus bearing in place. Since this thread is about power supplies, ARadikal was also in place. So the Kore was revealing more of its contribution as well.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to all for your inputs, I hope I‘ll be able to have a good overview of all these mods during my listening session at the Linn retailer (next Friday).
Looks like he has planned listening session of old serviced Lp12‘s vs new models.
I was hoping he could plug a Lingo to an old one to see how it behaves but looks like it’s not in his plans …

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I don't know if it was crap but this fortuitous and chintzy method of armboard mounting probably masked a multitude of sins. I think the early LP12s sounded good in spite of their design, rather than because of it!
I would rather expect the original engineers to have tweaked the design until all obvious sins were masked to an extent where they no longer got in the way of the music.
Was the early LP12 perfect? Hell, no! Did it add some tonal colouring? You bet! But the result was legendary nevertheless, as history proves.
What makes Linn stand out is that they are more stubborn than rational (or are they?) and never quit working on their original design and kept improving it, overcoming the initial shortcomings so that fewer and fewer sins need to be masked.

Last edited:

JBC

Wammer
May 25, 2021
What makes Linn stand out is that they are more stubborn than rational (or are they?) and never quit working on their original design and kept improving it, overcoming the initial shortcomings so that fewer and fewer sins need to be masked.
In that sense, there are parallels between the Linn LP12 and the Porsche 911. It's an evolutionary design, and the latest versions are considerably more refined than the earliest versions.

Trunkmonkey

Wammer
Sep 10, 2018
Thanks to all for your inputs, I hope I‘ll be able to have a good overview of all these mods during my listening session at the Linn retailer (next Friday).
Looks like he has planned listening session of old serviced Lp12‘s vs new models.
I was hoping he could plug a Lingo to an old one to see how it behaves but looks like it’s not in his plans …
Let us know how you get on
Swapping a power supply isn't a 2 minute job if you want the deck setup properly again
What was your budget by the way?

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let us know how you get on
Swapping a power supply isn't a 2 minute job if you want the deck setup properly again
What was your budget by the way?
Hi !
My max budget was around 4500€. Initially I was planning to buy a Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace but I will not be able to listen to it so that’s too risky given my hyperacusis …
My hyperacusis is the key driver for my next TT.
I want something relaxed sounding, laidback, no brightness at all, but without being boring …

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Initially I was planning to buy a Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace but I will not be able to listen to it so that’s too risky …

I had a Nottingham Analogue SpaceDeck, it had a superb pickup arm: I would describe it as like a Naim ARO without its shortcomings, much better build quality too. I found the turntable less satisfactory with its awkward pod. After 10 years the motor unit gave up. Rather than repair it, I traded it in and returned to the LP12. I’m much happier with the LP12 especially as I have been able to steadily improve it.

That said I wouldn’t knock the SpaceDeck and the HyperSpace would be a worthy contender, but a bit risky if you can’t hear it. If I were looking for a sub £1k then the Nottingham Analogue Horizon would probably be my choice.

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Nottingham Analogue SpaceDeck, it had a superb pickup arm: I would describe it as like a Naim ARO without its shortcomings, much better build quality too. I found the turntable less satisfactory with its awkward pod. After 10 years the motor unit gave up. Rather than repair it, I traded it in and returned to the LP12. I’m much happier with the LP12 especially as I have been able to steadily improve it.

That said I wouldn’t knock the SpaceDeck and the HyperSpace would be a worthy contender, but a bit risky if you can’t hear it. If I were looking for a sub £1k then the Nottingham Analogue Horizon would probably be my choice.
Thank you for your comments.
And how would you describe the differences in sound philosophy between the Nottingham and the Lp12 ?
Thanks !

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want something relaxed sounding, laidback, no brightness at all, but without being boring …
That might be a tall order. But the biggest factor could be the cartridge. Something like a Denon or Koetsu is a very smooth cartridge which might fill the bill. Others may comment on their experiences with cartridges. Steer clear of "analytical" or "incisive" cartridges

Reactions: jigsaw

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you for your comments.
And how would you describe the differences in sound philosophy between the Nottingham and the Lp12 ?
Thanks !
When I listen to music I can enjoy it on all types of systems, but what stops me in my tracks is noise that should not be there. I know John Peel said “surface noise is part of real life”, but I find it distracting.

The SpaceDeck did give me more suface noise than the LP12. So I find it easier to enjoy music playing on my LP12 than I did on the SpaceDeck. With new or perfectly clean LPs the difference is small.

Both decks have superb pitch stability: noticibly better than a Rega P25. I would say the LP12 is more musical and if you play appropriate music you’ll get a relaxing sound. Both decks will tell it like it is, but the LP12 is more forgiving. Playing an album such as Atem by Tangerine Dream would demonstrate this effect. I found my copy difficult to listen to on the SpaceDeck, but I’m happy when playing it on LP12.

To bring the SpaceDeck to this level I’d recommend a decent record clamp and a Townshend Seismic Sink or equivalent. I also found a Goldring ExStatic mat very useful. There are heavy platter options and Wave Mechanic PSU, but I never tried those. The SpaceDeck was not maintenance free as I was advised to refresh its bearing oil every year.

I would be reluctant to buy a deck unheard though and although I think it would meet your criteria, I would go for the LP12. However, that’s simply my opinion.

Last edited:

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi @Nestor Turton
thanks for your return.
I have been able today to finally listen to the famous ... LP12 :) !!
I will try to summarize this demo.

For this demo, I have brought my preamp Art Audio VP1 mk2 + my Thorens TD126 (Shure V15 type IV cartridge).
Rest of the setup was Exposure integrated + Graham LS3/5 ... (to be as close as possible as my setup which is Pass Labs INT25 / Harbeth P3Esr)

1st test : A very old LP12 with Ittok LVII (Grade Master Type 1)
Sounds was not really different as what I use to have with my TD126 at home. Maybe a bit more fluidity.

2nd test : My TD126
Confirms my first impressions that the differences between both TT is not "night & day".
Maybe my TD126 is a bit less refined ...

3rd test : Linn Akurate with Krystal cartridge. As my Art Audio is only MM compatible, we have to plug it to an integrated Exposure with optional MC Phono stage.
This is the demo I have preferred so far. I was afraid of having something too much analytical or "digital" like. The sound was really refined, and very well balanced. It was much more transparent compared to previous test but no harshness, no brightness. Great fluidity. I think I can live with that setup. This demo model was 7000€. Even if it's a good price compared to new that's a bit higher than my predefined budget.

4th test : Brand new LP12 Majik with a Linn MC Cartridge (I cannot remember the name, but the Linn retailer told me that it was an Audio Technico based) with Karousel (now by default).
I find it way less refined than the Akurate (I know this is not the same price range).
And also less smoothness and fluidity, which are very important to me ...

So that was not a perfect demo because there are a lot of "variables", not always the same phono stages, but some outcomes that are interesting for me ...

So I'm a bit stuck now and I'm thinking again about the Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace ...

Any comment, advice is more than welcome of course :)
Thanks

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
So the Lingo 4 is more relaxed sounding compared to previous ones ?
yes more relaxed as in smoother but with importantly more musical detail. More of what an LP12 already gives you. You will hear more of what is on the record but not brighter with tipped up detail.

Reactions: pdcman

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your favorite - LP12 Akurate: Bear in mind that the "Akurate" is no more. It was replaced with the "Select". So it's value has taken a significant hit.

Did it have the Kore/Karousel and Lingo 4? If so, it's probably price about right for a used (sorry, "demo") deck - but be wary of any used cartridge. Having said that, if the dealer gives you a great trade-in for the TD126/arm (I'd keep the Shure) against it, I'd try to find a way to make it happen.

If it's a, older deck with the Cirkus/Lingo 2/3 its way overpriced for a used (sorry "demo") deck!

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasOK and jigsaw

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes the Akurate had the Karousel + lingo 4, not sure for the rest.
But no trade-in for my Thorens neither no offer for the majik demo (only for a brand new one).

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, confirm with the dealer that it has the Kore subchassis (it should have) and ask him for his best trade-in/part-ex price for your Thorens. If it's in great condition you should be able to get 500€ - 1000€ off the price of the demo Linn..

Alternatively, if there really wasn't that much difference between the Linns and the Thorens, you could try an alternate cartridge in the Thorens (the Shure is pretty old and perhaps past its prime).

Reactions: Wenge1 and ThomasOK

jigsaw

Wammer
Jun 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,
here is an update, I have made my choice and have bought an old Linn Lp12 with Ittok LVII tonearm from the Linn retailer I’ve made a visit to last week.
I will have to wait for at least one month as major upgrades are planned :
- lingo 4
- karousel
- trampolin
- dynavector MC High level DV20X2 H

Really happy and convinced that I have made the good choice. Thanks all for your help on this thread.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,
here is an update, I have made my choice and have bought an old Linn Lp12 with Ittok LVII tonearm from the Linn retailer I’ve made a visit to last week.
I will have to wait for at least one month as major upgrades are planned :
- lingo 4
- karousel
- trampolin
- dynavector MC High level DV20X2 H

Really happy and convinced that I have made the good choice. Thanks all for your help on this thread.
Congrats on your choice just enjoy the Journey.
if wondering what the best first option is please do Karousel it’s the foundation of all. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.