• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Pre/Power to Integrated or Upgrade Power?

stanleyk

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
, ,
Hi all,

Currently running a Linn Classik as pre into NAD 214 Power, with Marantz 6000ose and SQB Touch as source, into Heco Celan 500. Enjoying the sound (so why change?) but always interested to have a play. Interested to hear thoughts on moving to integrated or maybe upgrading one of the parts, Power? My concern is that the sale of this pre/power combo (also selling NAD pre separately) won't get me enough funds to do much more. Room is pretty big, 11x5m so need something with reasonable power. Keen to try valve at some point, mainly before baby becomes mobile and wants to handle hot valves

thanks for any thoughts

joleyami

Warmer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2014
Cornwall
AKA
Mike
I doubt you will get to try a Valve amp before baby becomes mobile, it happens very quick.

Your power amp is very powerful and you will be hard pushed to find an integrated that will give such control, although your speakers are very efficient so will still work well with lower power.

Do you not like the sound of the Classik without the Nad?

I would definitely put the grilles on the speakers asap before baby pushes your tweeters in.

spook

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2009
Brighton Sussex
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently switched from a pre/power combination to an Almarro 318b single ended valve integrated. Very pleased with the change despite initial reservations. Only 18w per channel but into reasonably efficient speakers it's plenty. Word of warning though... the valves do get very very hot and so not baby/toddler friendly. Comes with a protective cover though so I would n't rule it out.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?sa=X&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-gb%3AIE-SearchBox&biw=1280&bih=571&tbm=isch&tbnid=PPBlZxQlJRdppM%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.6moons.com%2Faudioreviews%2Falmarro5%2F318.html&docid=d18NC4m0H1PtsM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.6moons.com%2Faudioreviews%2Falmarro5%2Fhero_glow.jpg&w=698&h=524&ei=epbqUsDfFYPJ0AX3lYG4Cw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=1984&page=1&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=0CFcQrQMwAA

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
the helans are superb and puresound sells them . guy can advise on a good valve and spooks suggestion of the almarro may be very worth trying or a puresound a30 . see what guy says

stanleyk

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
, ,
Thanks for thoughts so far

Bush - actives were on my shortlist for second system but just don't think suitable for the space

Spook - beautiful looking piece of kit, will investigate further, though fear you may be right on the valves, 'cage' or not i do fear for probing fingers, then again it will be situated near the log burner so one way or another there may be an accident waiting to happen

hifinutt - Actually got my Hecan direct from Guy, so have always wanted to go the Puresound route, however I fear my budget won't allow, it will have to be the resale value of my two components plus the NAD pre if I can shift that, so max 300 i fear, plus a bit more if the mrs allows, so not sure can get to the A10 let alone A30!

I think, realistically, its going to have to be a SS integrated if I want to make the change, maybe i'll see who amongst my friends have some things they want ot bring along and test out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zymaze