Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For sale is my lovely Puresound A30. This was bought on the Wam from Gromit just under 3 years ago. Although it is badged Bewitch, it is in fact one of Guy's early A30. I think this amp has had one or two Wam owners. If you're looking at this, you probably know all about the A30.

Its condition is excellent apart from a tiny dink in the top of one of the transformer cases. I have tried to photo it, but you can see it's really too small to see. There are fine scratches on the gloss black surfaces where my butler has been enthusiastic with a duster. Usual stuff. The fascia isn't cloudy - the photo shows a reflection from the white cloth. I've added a better front-on view.

I will also throw in a pair of Sylvania 6SL7WGTs and a pair of 6SN7EH gold pins which I bought new and have only had  4 or 5 hours use.

I have had loads of fun with this amp. It has never missed a beat in the time I have had it. I will sell at an attractive £500. I'm not prepared to post, and unless you want to come and have a couple of days holiday on the Isle of Mull (yes, I'm serious. You are welcome) we'll have to work out transport - that's why it's only £500! There is a possibility of getting it down to Lancashire or Yorkshire, or even the Midlands on 28 November as friends are up here until then. I'm sure we can work something out.

http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/edhowarth/media/IMAG2278_zpsopqdcgcp.jpg.html
IMAG2278_zpsopqdcgcp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a couple of enquiries.....  No one else interested? The spare valves cost me £99. So that's a superb amp for £400. 

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've had a couple of enquiries.....  No one else interested? The spare valves cost me £99. So that's a superb amp for £400. 
Ed, I suspect your reluctance to post may have something to do with it. I would have thought that with suitable double packing it would be safe with a reputable courier. I have couriered my Second Audio amps back and forth many times to get them serviced and uprated, all without issue.

la toilette

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2010
Par la rivière Yeo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Frustrating timing for me - this was exactly what I was looking for a couple of weeks ago, but being have bought something else in the meantime  :doh: . Though getting it to the South West without postage might have proved too difficult anyway.

• Upvote
Reactions: Ed Howarth

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ed, I suspect your reluctance to post may have something to do with it. I would have thought that with suitable double packing it would be safe with a reputable courier. I have couriered my Second Audio amps back and forth many times to get them serviced and uprated, all without issue.
You might be right. I'm away for a week but will edit my ad accordingly when I get back. It'll be your fault if it all goes wrong.  :D   What did you use inside the box to prevent movement or damage? I'm especially thinking about damage to the chassis caused by the transformers trying to break free in the event of the box being dropped etc. 

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You might be right. I'm away for a week but will edit my ad accordingly when I get back. It'll be your fault if it all goes wrong.  :D   What did you use inside the box to prevent movement or damage? I'm especially thinking about damage to the chassis caused by the transformers trying to break free in the event of the box being dropped etc. 
The essential part of packaging is to reduce the deceleration of heavy items when (not if) the parcel is dropped. This means that firstly, the chassis must be secured in the box to stop it moving about, and then, for there to be a lot of compliant material around it so it decelerates slowly. Transformers are big heavy things, and inertia dictates once moving they will want to go on moving until they stop suddenly and break. 

I would remove all the valves and wrap each valve individually in a couple of layers of bubble-wrap, then wrap blocks of foam rubber or several layers of bubble-wrap round the transformers, and put the wrapped valves on the chassis so the transformers protect them from crushing. Then, put the whole lot inside a strong box, and FILL ALL CAVITIES with bubble-wrap or better still, polystyrene peanuts so the amp can't move in the box, and deceleration is gentle when dropped. 

The standard which I remember my employer adopted many years ago was that the box can be dropped from 1m height onto concrete on any edge, corner or face and the contents must remain undamaged. That takes a fair bit of packaging, but can be done. Peanuts are a pain when you unpack, as they get everywhere, but they are a most effective form of packaging if you can't go to the extent of custom-made foam inserts.

S.

• Upvote
Reactions: Ed Howarth

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hate to be contrary but if I were you I'd hold off on the delivery option for a while unless you make it totally clear that it's at the buyer's risk with no comeback to you (hence the low price).  If you can be flexible about a detour on your journey(s) south, at this price there must be someone from the midlands up who'll buy this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.