Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BTW I have my Concept 30s toed in to face me , so I can't see the sides , I had my ProAc Studio monitors like that , works for me .
Agreed. Speakers with a narrow baffle will always work better like that but speakers with a wider baffle or front don’t. Like my Harbeths. I find they image better and disperse the sound more evenly.
The 3030i’s I have definitely prefer some toe in.

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I found a pair of Ex Dem Concept 500 going for a good price from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision Cheltenham branch, a bit far away from Brighton, but with big help from Jack (NSM) he picked them up for me.

These speakers are definitely staying in my system for a good while, a floorstanding speaker that actually works in my room with no boom issues, and they also sound fantastic, happy happy happy.

Q Acoustics Concept 500.jpg

Last edited:

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope you enjoy them for a very long time, @JezR - I loved my pair. An outstanding speaker that deserves wider exposure IMHO.
I've had a 10hr session with them today, I'm looking forward listening tomorrow, they're very smooth and powerful sounding, very easy to drive.
I'll experiment with the treble boost tomorrow as well, it's in the middle position at the moment, no need to turn my sub on either, it's all good.

• Love
Reactions: Bodgit and Jules_S

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just got back home after my first listen to the concept 500's. Haven't even had my lunch yet.... A meal can wait considering my excitement 🤣🤣🤣.

For someone who has had the concept 40's for more than a decade and still love them to bits, it was so heart warmingly joyful to hear the immense strides Qacoustics have made in a decade.

Before I start with my listening impressions, I need to add, that this friend of mine has bat's ears. And he is OCD about setup, cabling and components. He has the ability to make any speaker sound great. And how do I know that 😜... Because we both started with concept 40's a decade back. He was using a luxman integrated then, and I was using a parasound halo integrated. But his sound was always way superior to mine... Always 🤣🤣.

He eventually moved to the ATC SCM40V2 with nuprime class D mono blocks, and transparent music cabling. This was again a benchmark sound. I have 2 other friends running the same speakers, one at the end of a gryphon and another with a kinki studio. But neither could match his setup skills, and even with way more expensive amplification, they couldn't match his sound.

Lately, this friend of mine was finding the ATC higher frequencies to be too much for him. So he bought the concept 500 blindly based on reviews ❤️. They've broken in for close to a month before I visited him today.

The chain is a mac mini with lpsu, running audirvana into a North star supremo dac, then nuprime evolution one amps powering the concept 500's. I chose all the tracks... And the sound was absolutely stunning ❤️❤️❤️.

The speakers disappeared completely on the annick asvik tracks I played. Next I played thriller by Michael Jackson, the sound stage and imaging and separation was spell bounding. And again it was a vanishing act. The first thing I noticed was that Qacoustics have retained their smooth sounding heritage. But unlike my concept 40's, these are not laid back speakers, though still smooth. They can do rhythm and timing like they chew it. I think these are a ground up new design speakers with some clever cabinetry, and qacoustics went for absolute transparency here, though with smoothness added on top.

The word that comes to mind again and again is holography. They completely disappear from the act, but paint such a 3 dimensional picture of the music. Absolutely stunning ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

Iam smitten now... These will definitely be my next speakers to replace my concept 40's....but the concept 40's just don't die even after 10 years 🙁

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just got back home after my first listen to the concept 500's. Haven't even had my lunch yet.... A meal can wait considering my excitement 🤣🤣🤣.

For someone who has had the concept 40's for more than a decade and still love them to bits, it was so heart warmingly joyful to hear the immense strides Qacoustics have made in a decade.

Before I start with my listening impressions, I need to add, that this friend of mine has bat's ears. And he is OCD about setup, cabling and components. He has the ability to make any speaker sound great. And how do I know that 😜... Because we both started with concept 40's a decade back. He was using a luxman integrated then, and I was using a parasound halo integrated. But his sound was always way superior to mine... Always 🤣🤣.

He eventually moved to the ATC SCM40V2 with nuprime class D mono blocks, and transparent music cabling. This was again a benchmark sound. I have 2 other friends running the same speakers, one at the end of a gryphon and another with a kinki studio. But neither could match his setup skills, and even with way more expensive amplification, they couldn't match his sound.

Lately, this friend of mine was finding the ATC higher frequencies to be too much for him. So he bought the concept 500 blindly based on reviews ❤️. They've broken in for close to a month before I visited him today.

The chain is a mac mini with lpsu, running audirvana into a North star supremo dac, then nuprime evolution one amps powering the concept 500's. I chose all the tracks... And the sound was absolutely stunning ❤️❤️❤️.

The speakers disappeared completely on the annick asvik tracks I played. Next I played thriller by Michael Jackson, the sound stage and imaging and separation was spell bounding. And again it was a vanishing act. The first thing I noticed was that Qacoustics have retained their smooth sounding heritage. But unlike my concept 40's, these are not laid back speakers, though still smooth. They can do rhythm and timing like they chew it. I think these are a ground up new design speakers with some clever cabinetry, and qacoustics went for absolute transparency here, though with smoothness added on top.

The word that comes to mind again and again is holography. They completely disappear from the act, but paint such a 3 dimensional picture of the music. Absolutely stunning ❤️❤️❤️❤️.

Iam smitten now... These will definitely be my next speakers to replace my concept 40's....but the concept 40's just don't die even after 10 years 🙁
I'm listening to a borrowed pair of Concept 40s right now.

Rather nice, eh?

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone heard the actives...?
I have Tony. The M20’s. Very similar to the 3020i’s. Definitely gives the same sonic signature but if anything, they sound a bit faster due to the inbuilt digital amp. This is compared to using a class A amp on the 3020i’s
As my main music room is elsewhere, I would be happy to purchase the actives for my living room when it’s decorated.

Reactions: Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Tony. The M20’s. Very similar to the 3020i’s. Definitely gives the same sonic signature but if anything, they sound a bit faster due to the inbuilt digital amp. This is compared to using a class A amp on the 3020i’s
As my main music room is elsewhere, I would be happy to purchase the actives for my living room when it’s decorated.
That sounds promising - thanks. I rather like the look of the 400s...🤔

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That sounds promising - thanks. I rather like the look of the 400s...🤔
Not heard them Tony. A totally different concept to their std range although reviews seem positive. Quite an unusual looking speaker but as bass is non directional, I see where they are coming from.
The idea of this type of active speaker is quite appealing.

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Guess I'm now a member of this thread, having bought @JezR 's Q3050s. What a steal!

Quite an amazing sound for the price. Sure I can tell they don't quite deliver what my SCM40s do, but they give them a good run for their money at a fraction of the cost.

As nice but dim would say...bloody good speakers eh.

52526893386_882b20f4cc_z.jpg

Now in the man cave :)

52527452928_55b7f6a422_z.jpg

WolvesWill

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2010
Wolverhampton
AKA
William Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone heard the Q Acoustic M20 HD active yet?

I've currently got the QA 3010i speakers paired with a NAD D3020 V2 amplifier, as my computer 'desk' system, all being fed by a USB SPDIF converter (frustratingly, the V2 versionof the NAD ditched the USB input that the V1 had).

Happy with the sound, but the box and wire count would be greatfuklt simplified with the M20 setup (with what the NAD goes for second hand, cost to change would likely be negligible too).

Being larger I wonder if I'd get more bass and more presence from the M20s too, than the 3010is.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone heard the Q Acoustic M20 HD active yet?

I've currently got the QA 3010i speakers paired with a NAD D3020 V2 amplifier, as my computer 'desk' system, all being fed by a USB SPDIF converter (frustratingly, the V2 versionof the NAD ditched the USB input that the V1 had).

Happy with the sound, but the box and wire count would be greatfuklt simplified with the M20 setup (with what the NAD goes for second hand, cost to change would likely be negligible too).

Being larger I wonder if I'd get more bass and more presence from the M20s too, than the 3010is.
I have the 3030i and had the 3010i’s the 3010i’s are a real party trick. They sound better the better the amp. Sonic bargain as are the 3020i and 3030i. The M20’s are pretty much the 3020i with a built in amp which is pretty decent and I have heard them and once my living room is done, I’ll be getting some. Like you, less wires and simplicity. Not my main system but you would need to spend a lot more to better them.

westerwick

westerwick
Wammer
Aug 6, 2019
Shetland Isles, Scot
AKA
Tom Gray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had a 10hr session with them today, I'm looking forward listening tomorrow, they're very smooth and powerful sounding, very easy to drive.
I'll experiment with the treble boost tomorrow as well, it's in the middle position at the moment, no need to turn my sub on either, it's all good.
Congrats on your new speaker choice. I’m not surprised to hear you listened to them for 10 hours. I also own the C500s and listening fatigue has never been a problem! I have had my pair for over 3 years now and I am still impressed with their presentation. I have made one significant improvement to the performance by adding a pair of Townshend Podiums. They would make a similar improvement to any loudspeaker I think but cost is a major consideration. The ISO Acoustics range of products would be a great alternative to the Podiums, and much neater. I drive my C500s with a Lyngdorf 3400 integrated amp and previously they were powered by the superb Hegel H360 integrated. I hope that you continue to enjoy many years of happy listening with the C500s !

Reactions: newlash09 and JezR

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Congrats on your new speaker choice. I’m not surprised to hear you listened to them for 10 hours. I also own the C500s and listening fatigue has never been a problem! I have had my pair for over 3 years now and I am still impressed with their presentation. I have made one significant improvement to the performance by adding a pair of Townshend Podiums. They would make a similar improvement to any loudspeaker I think but cost is a major consideration. The ISO Acoustics range of products would be a great alternative to the Podiums, and much neater. I drive my C500s with a Lyngdorf 3400 integrated amp and previously they were powered by the superb Hegel H360 integrated. I hope that you continue to enjoy many years of happy listening with the C500s !
Thanks for the info, I have the metal round feet installed on the speakers straight on carpet and not spiked as I've already investigated both Podium and Gaia II and the merits of isolation vs coupling.

yes a bit pricey, looking at the Podiums that's more or less what I paid for the 500s ex demo but something to consider in the future, Isoacoustics have a promotion on at the moment (free isolation stuff) until the end of Dec 22 at my local AudioT so I have a few weeks if I choose that path.

In the meantime this Saturday I've got some 4mm thick 50mm diameter sorbothane discs to experiment with sandwiched between some furniture sliders made from PTFE and rubber, topped off with a large washer on top for the speaker round metal feet to locate in and to spread out the load, the whole sandwich should be no less than 15mm high, about 30mm shorter than the Gaia II, I don't expect my improvisation will compete with the Gaia but will be fun to see if I can get a positive result out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: newlash09

westerwick

westerwick
Wammer
Aug 6, 2019
Shetland Isles, Scot
AKA
Tom Gray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the info, I have the metal round feet installed on the speakers straight on carpet and not spiked as I've already investigated both Podium and Gaia II and the merits of isolation vs coupling.

yes a bit pricey, looking at the Podiums that's more or less what I paid for the 500s ex demo but something to consider in the future, Isoacoustics have a promotion on at the moment (free isolation stuff) until the 22nd of Dec at my local AudioT so I have a few weeks if I choose that path.

In the meantime this Saturday I've got some 4mm thick 50mm diameter sorbothane discs to experiment with sandwiched between some furniture sliders made from PTFE and rubber, topped off with a large washer on top for the speaker round metal feet to locate in and to spread out the load, the whole sandwich should be no less than 15mm high, about 30mm shorter than the Gaia II, I don't expect my improvisation will compete with the Gaia but will be fun to see if I can get a positive result out of it.
You will certainly have some fun with your DIY isolation. I have tried various isolation devices over the years and they all did something to the sound, but nothing ever worked as well as the Podiums. I think the general consensus is all isolation devices tend to impart their own signature. I would hope Audio T would be able to lend you a set of Gaias so that you could evaluate them? Hearing is believing as the saying goes. Keep us all posted!

Reactions: newlash09 and JezR

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you find the bass overpowering ?
No.

In the end, I bought the borrowed pair.

I'm listening to them now, and they're lovely. Bass is nicely in balance with everything else. It's not overpowering but neither is it like with some speakers wherein hearing a little bass is like hearing a baby's first word.

Good positioning is essential,however. They require less space behind them than my Russell K Red 150s. Maybe 12" in our lounge, so very room-friendly.

So I now have two great pairs of speakers that call to me for different reasons. Over the weekend, it'll probably be back to the Red 150s for me until...

Last edited:
Reactions: hifinutt and Bazzer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles