Jan 30, 2019
UK
AKA
Nestor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whatever NAS/PC you use.
Remember to back up, back up, back up.
I have 2 online backups and another off site - something I can't do with my vinyl record collection. I use a Mac mini rather than a traditional NAS and have been lucky so far not to encounter malware. My ISP gives some useful protection.

However, a backup is your only real defence, the ability to to return the system to how it was before the files became encrypted. No agency without the key is going to be able to decrypt the files. If a file is encrypted using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) with a 256 but key then there are more possible keys to try than there are atoms in the universe and there is a very strong probability the universe will end before a brute force recovery mechanism will unlock the cipher (assuming all the world's computing power is dedicated to the task). There are over 115 quattuorvigintillion possible keys (a 78 digit number) and it is entirely possible a different key has been used for different files. So if somebody offers a recovery service for £x treat this with suspicion; if they have the key or subset of keys then that is a different matter; I don't know enough about key management in ransomware but the perpetrators must have the key if they are to release your files on payment.

It is very sad when things like this happen and I hope you are able to recover your files.