Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Something seems to have changed. Previously, I've found Tidal MQA on some tracks marginally better than Qobuz hi-res, but by no means all. I've also stuck with Tidal, as a lot of things I wanted didn't seem to be available on Qobuz. For ages, I've been paying for both, but using almost exclusively Tidal.

I don't know what's changed, but something seems to have. Possibly the latest DAC build is simply better, or the changes to the setup have helped. I'm still using the PC as a source via USB, but USB to SPDIF is through a Topping D10, which (the difference) is now permanently powered separately, rather than via the USB.

Whatever the reason (software change or update as well, possibly?) the difference is now quite noticeable, and definitely in favour of Qobuz. More detail, more 'real' sounding, cleaner and tighter bass, more immersive soundstage. No, it's not 'night and day', but it's clear enough.

Plus, a whole load more music and artists seem to have sneaked into Qobuz while I wasn't looking.

Result? I've loaded a ton of favourites into the app and finally cancelled my Tidal subscription.

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Something seems to have changed. Previously, I've found Tidal MQA on some tracks marginally better than Qobuz hi-res, but by no means all. I've also stuck with Tidal, as a lot of things I wanted didn't seem to be available on Qobuz. For ages, I've been paying for both, but using almost exclusively Tidal.

I don't know what's changed, but something seems to have. Possibly the latest DAC build is simply better, or the changes to the setup have helped. I'm still using the PC as a source via USB, but USB to SPDIF is through a Topping D10, which (the difference) is now permanently powered separately, rather than via the USB.

Whatever the reason (software change or update as well, possibly?) the difference is now quite noticeable, and definitely in favour of Qobuz. More detail, more 'real' sounding, cleaner and tighter bass, more immersive soundstage. No, it's not 'night and day', but it's clear enough.

Plus, a whole load more music and artists seem to have sneaked into Qobuz while I wasn't looking.

Result? I've loaded a ton of favourites into the app and finally cancelled my Tidal subscription.
The only explaination is the software influence on the PC process

All other hardware being the same.

Ive also watched many agree on YouTube that the d10 makes a very good usb to spdiff conversion

Last edited by a moderator:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
DAC has changed (my latest build), and not powering the D10 via USB is likely to have made some improvement. I've made some space and dropped the 'old' DAC into the rack as well now, so I'll at least be able to make a direct comparison between the two. Low-level detail is probably masked less.

My ears also, for that matter, will have some effect. I am as prone to psychological factors as anyone. The 'light' Qobuz background used to really annoy me at night, but either the dark alternative is new, or is now better signposted. Also, the increase in the number of artists and releases helps a lot in my case. There were quite a few that I could never find on Qobuz before, but that are now there.

The interface is still a bit clunky though, but I can live with that.

Reactions: Bokke

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A switched from Tidal to Qobuz some years ago as I found it slightly better.  Also you know what your getting, none of the MQA mystique.  The catalogue is slowly improving.

• Upvote
Reactions: StingRay and bencat

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Like you Rabski, I've got both and for some reason always use Tidal.

No idea why, and had almost forgotten about Qobuz until I tried making a playlist. 

I just wish Spotify would join in (do they do a flac quality stream yet ?) as it would be so much easier to share playlists with the younger folks...

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I prefer Qobuz to Tidal.

Depends which genres of music you play but they have their strengths and weaknesses. 

It is also cheaper, £15 v£20.

Spotify is supposed to be doing cd level streaming soon. I did try Spotify but the sound quality was not so good.

Deezer HiFi is also worth a try and is a it cheaper than Qobuz.

Looking into Spotify HiFi, meant to have been launched in September 2021 in some select markets but no sign of it yet anywhere and no announcements from Spotify either.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just noticed that Qobuz have reduced their prices, don't know when that happened, it's now £12.99 pm or £129.99 pa.

So this is considerably less than Tidal which is £19.99 pm.

Reactions: MartinC

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went from Tidal (previously Student charge then into the full £20) then onto Amazon HD (which wasn't great) and now onto Qobuz; this is as you say, £12 but there is a deal out there to get three months free. I'm very happy with it.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went from Tidal (previously Student charge then into the full £20) then onto Amazon HD (which wasn't great) and now onto Qobuz; this is as you say, £12 but there is a deal out there to get three months free. I'm very happy with it.
I tried Amazon HD, could not get on with it on my Bluesound Node, it is better on a computer but still not good enough.

Qobuz would be my choice at the moment but I'm on a 3 month Tidal trial, it is ok but I would not pay £20 pm when others are cheaper.

Deezer HiFi is as good as Tidal, better with some genres. Tidal has too many Jazz albums missing.

Qobuz stills has a few albums missing but is improving. 

Spotity HiFi will be interesting if it ever happens. 

I don't play much mainstream music.  

• Upvote
Reactions: myles

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried Amazon HD, could not get on with it on my Bluesound Node, it is better on a computer but still not good enough.

Qobuz would be my choice at the moment but I'm on a 3 month Tidal trial, it is ok but I would not pay £20 pm when others are cheaper.

Deezer HiFi is as good as Tidal, better with some genres. Tidal has too many Jazz albums missing.

Qobuz stills has a few albums missing but is improving. 

Spotity HiFi will be interesting if it ever happens. 

I don't play much mainstream music.  
Am inclined to agree.    Deezer is my bread & butter & Qobuz for Jazz & odd album or 2.    Dont like albums with 30 sec samples (hoping you will buy) on Qobuz. Usually happens with more "obscure" stuff. Deezer does seem to have alot more diversity. Have embraced streaming & find that if you put the work in you dont have to listen to any fillers. All good.     :)

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just noticed that Qobuz have reduced their prices, don't know when that happened, it's now £12.99 pm or £129.99 pa.

So this is considerably less than Tidal which is £19.99 pm.
It was fairly recently - a couple of months ago maybe. People with existing subscriptions got emailed about the change, allowing those with existing 12 month contracts to take out a new one immediately at the new price to not lose out.

As you point out, Qobuz is a lot cheaper than Tidal and doesn't have the nonsense of MQA either. If the (extensive) music catalogue suits then Qobuz really seems like the obvious choice for audiophiles to me. I'm very happy with it  :) .

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dont like albums with 30 sec samples (hoping you will buy) on Qobuz. Usually happens with more "obscure" stuff.
I've read people say you can change s setting to stop getting these but I'm guessing this is just using the Qobuz app. Maybe worth checking for?

Reactions: garn63

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Qobuz are working on Connect implementation which is great news for people who want to control the app from their PC or Mac .

luxury_scruff

Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Tidal but tried Qobuz this week. I ditched after three days as the interface is (as Roy Ayres says...) poo poo la la.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have Tidal but tried Qobuz this week. I ditched after three days as the interface is (as Roy Ayres says...) poo poo la la.
What are you using them on?

on BluOs there is little difference. Only Amazon is poor.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try not to forget that Tidal are pretty good with regards to artists payments.
When Qobuz launched I signed up for their extended trial and then ran the app for a good six months alongside Tidal, accessing both through Roon. I’ll not deny that the most beguiling sounds I heard were a few HD tracks on Qobuz but that was balanced against the fact that Tidal had more of what I liked, was more reliable via Roon and a lot better on a phone linked to my car. 

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try not to forget that Tidal are pretty good with regards to artists payments.
Do you have any good recent data to demonstrate how Tidal and Qobuz compare in this regard? Whenever I've looked into this before I've failed to find anythng meaningful but I haven't looked recently. 

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you have any good recent data to demonstrate how Tidal and Qobuz compare in this regard? Whenever I've looked into this before I've failed to find anythng meaningful but I haven't looked recently. 
I thought it was ether way round, Qobuz are better?

according to this Qobuz are much better than Tidal but Tidal are better than many others: https://www.soundguys.com/tidal-hifi-review-25846/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles