wzevon1951

Wammer
Nov 23, 2021
amber valley
AKA
terry cawser
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The last picture is interesting. To enable the Quads to be safely held, I had to create four banana shaped pieces out of MDF. Getting the holes in these to secure to the Quads was perhaps the most nerve racking process. Obviously I used the original Quad cheeks as a template for the fixing holes. Getting all four (2 per speaker) with holes that correponded with the Quad side holes was much harder than it should have been, I had several false starts, and working out the length of countersunk screw to use into the sides of the Quads, so as to create good adhesion was tricky. The holes are obviously old, I didn't want to push my luck.So the Quads were each fitted with two of these MDF bananas, and as can be seen from the plast picture, they extended below and above the sides of the speakers. MDF? it struck me as a good reliable liner for the speakers, offering wood that could be drilled and worked with some precision

It was these tabs above and below the speakers that fitted to the uprights, by means of M6 stainless steel bolts and butterfly nuts. I suppose I always wondered whether I would need some horizomtal bracing below, and perhaps above the speakers....some sort of battens competing the "frame" as such, but cracked on regardless. Only after I had finished, did I realize that the original Quad frame did a great job on its own.

I think that's all I want to say. I could provide anyone interested in making or adapting my plans, and would do so readily. I'm happy to respond to any questions on the forum, and I'm awre that account this hasn't really addressed many hifi issues. I'm of course happy to discuss that aspect of the project. I'm aware that this has been a protracted and wordy description. I suppose that is the nature of this particular beast.

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is a hell of a project to attempt. Working out the hardware needed mustn't have been easy. 

I had a pair (just the one pair😀) of 57s that I refurbished - internally and externally - quite good fun. 

Thanks for writing this up and sharing with the Wam.

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

wzevon1951

Wammer
Nov 23, 2021
amber valley
AKA
terry cawser
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Ed, that's alright. As Gnnett was saying, the crux is about being able to use these, and live with them in a limited space.

As the years go by, houses are getting smaller, and my guess is that these were aimed at young professional men, bachelors (?) with a big empty room to devote to a listening room. With a pipe. And a tweed sports jacket. I have the Quad coffee table book somewhere, and must have a look to see if ths is vaguely true.

And the sound? Well that is a whole different story. Unique, seems to be the most common reaction. Breathy. Transparent. Picky. Powerful, even emotional. Mystical has cropped up. Surprising crops up a lot. I find the bass heft a shock. The non-stereo image doesn't bother me, I suppose I could reclaim it if I chose to lie on my workbench. lol. I might need help getting off though.

When  I am able to get friends in more easily, I will experiment with their horizontal axes. In the last picture I posted, an extra hole can be seen to the rear of the upright. That should be in the right place to enable them to swing backwards or forwards.

marywhitehouse

marywhitehouse
Wammer
Nov 1, 2020
Huntly
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the years go by, houses are getting smaller, and my guess is that these were aimed at young professional men, bachelors (?) with a big empty room to devote to a listening room. With a pipe. And a tweed sports jacket. I have the Quad coffee table book somewhere, and must have a look to see if ths is vaguely true.
I seem to remember a marketing image, really a painting, of the mono with exactly that. Lounge with no TV but a chap in his chair in front of the speaker. With a pipe of course. His lady wife probably bringing him an Old Fashioned too!

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
N W London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I seem to remember a marketing image, really a painting, of the mono with exactly that. Lounge with no TV but a chap in his chair in front of the speaker. With a pipe of course. His lady wife probably bringing him an Old Fashioned too!
This one?

081320_vintge_gear_quad_esl-57_promo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure most members with a wife/partner will think that 2905s are certainly NOT wife friendly and pretty monolithic!

LOvely things, sound-wise but big and black.

Martha's dad

Now Milly's dad
Wammer
Jun 2, 2007
Overstrand
AKA
Papa du chien
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have this feeling I once saw many ESL57's suspended from ceiling in the Albert Hall - many years ago - did I imagine this?

I don't think so but I cannot recall further details.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
N W London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have this feeling I once saw many ESL57's suspended from ceiling in the Albert Hall - many years ago - did I imagine this?

I don't think so but I cannot recall further details.
No, not imagination or we both imagined it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

wzevon1951

Wammer
Nov 23, 2021
amber valley
AKA
terry cawser
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That picture is at the front of the Quad coffee table book, so could easily be one of theirs. Her body language speaks volumes!