LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yep, Radikal 2 is fantastic. I went from ARadikal to KRadikal2 and the improvement was obvious from switch on. As you say, it improves once the motor has run for while. I’m not sure how much the new screw arrangement contributes, as it’s a compliant interface between the motor housing and top plate. The new screws as much less likely to be stripped during fitting, or, more likely,refitting.

’troll
Although it is just a guess, my thought is that the screw fitting may have been changed due to some ham-handed people stripping the threads in the plastic housing by fastening them "Linn tight". The new motor actually sounds best with about half the torque on the screws that the original motor did. This is likely due to the foam sheet bonded to the top of the motor housing, further isolating the motor from the top plate. So you wouldn't expect things to get over torqued. But it is interesting that the Ekstatik and Kendo use a bronze aluminum alloy threaded fitting for the mounting screws to thread into. Obviously Linn have been playing around with these materials so there may be a musical benefit to the new fittings on the motor as well.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It‘s always difficult if somebody „unknown“ (system, how he hear, how concrete he can describe things) share his experience.

And every individual experience could only an impulse for thinking.

And: at some point (maybe also because of budget restrictions) we should be happy with our system. There is always a better one (in- or outside the Linn world) but if you‘re happy, you can be happy.

But… AGAIN… You forget to tell that you are also provocative😇

• Haha
Reactions: Ben Webster

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought we agreed on „pro active“ 😂
Oups… 🙃

Congrats for your update Ben!

Linn comes back as a source to trust at your home…
vs. a digital thiiiiiing – I don't want to name here – that is not Linn… 😇

Last edited:
Reactions: akamatsu

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oups…

Congrats for your update Ben!

Linn comes back as a source to trust at your home…
vs. a digital thiiiiiing – I don't want to name here – that is not Linn… 😇
Yes, I needed something for my 6.000 records.😇

I know, that I‘m wrong here in the Linn Club with my digital source but it is much better than a KDSM/3 Organik (not only my opinion but still subjective).

• Upvote
Reactions: Chris 1970

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Also the screws for Radikal mainboard und power supply have changed to provide a better earthing.
I'm not sure where this is coming from. How do you see that the screws have been changed to improve the earthing. Also how does that apply the PS board when new screws for that are not part of the kit?

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We need names and address of your associates! 😂
You can call them Markus & Markus & Mark. Mark is a 100 % analog fan and was very impressed about the digital performance. In the next two weeks two or three other Linn owners will visit me.
I'm not sure where this is coming from. How do you see that the screws have been changed to improve the earthing. Also how does that apply the PS board when new screws for that are not part of the kit?
The info comes from Linn via my dealer.

And five new (different) screws were part of the kit.

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The info comes from Linn via my dealer.

And five new (different) screws were part of the kit.
There are five new screws of one type, four of another and another two that come with the kit. The two are small machine screws that hold the motor to the top plate. The four are very small screws that hold the XLR sockets into the back of the housing, the five are to hold the main board to the chassis (only three are used in the Klimax chassis). There are not three for the PS board nor are there two for the sensor board to the top plate (an oversight in my opinion as those are the most likely to have been damaged by improper installation).

All the new screws are Torx type but the smallest ones use a smaller tip, the others are T10. On some, but not all, older units the screws for the main board are PosiDriv rather than Torx. However, I can see no way the type of head on the screw can change the grounding as they are all metal screws. The new smallest screws are silver instead of black but since they screw into plastic it is hard to imagine them changing the grounding either.

It is certainly possible that the main board was changed to improve grounding to the chassis or ground paths within the board but I still don't see the new screws having any effect on that. Hence my confusion.

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are five new screws of one type, four of another and another two that come with the kit. The two are small machine screws that hold the motor to the top plate. The four are very small screws that hold the XLR sockets into the back of the housing, the five are to hold the main board to the chassis (only three are used in the Klimax chassis). There are not three for the PS board nor are there two for the sensor board to the top plate (an oversight in my opinion as those are the most likely to have been damaged by improper installation).

All the new screws are Torx type but the smallest ones use a smaller tip, the others are T10. On some, but not all, older units the screws for the main board are PosiDriv rather than Torx. However, I can see no way the type of head on the screw can change the grounding as they are all metal screws. The new smallest screws are silver instead of black but since they screw into plastic it is hard to imagine them changing the grounding either.

It is certainly possible that the main board was changed to improve grounding to the chassis or ground paths within the board but I still don't see the new screws having any effect on that. Hence my confusion.
I‘m talking about five screws for the boards (two for the main board, three for the power supply) and they were different from the old ones.

And they come with the kit.

5* MECH 919 Torx screws with
Shakeproof washers. (2 or 3 only needed
for Klimax Upgrade).

Last edited:

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I‘m talking about five screws for the boards (two for the main board, three for the power supply) and they were different from the old ones.

And they come with the kit.
The five screws are not for the main board and PS. They are for the main board only which uses five screws on the Akurate version and three on the Klimax version (or two on some older Klimax cases). There is no mention of replacing the screws for the power supply board in the fitting instructions and no screws for that purpose are supplied with the kit. The Linn instructions state "Do not be alarmed if you have 2 or 3 MECH 919 left over. This is correct." This will only be the case with a Klimax case Radikal. If your Radikal is a Klimax version that only uses two screws you could certainly use the other three for that as they will fit. But there is no reason to believe that doing so will do anything to the grounding of the PS. Could it make a musical improvement? Certainly it could as fasteners do make a difference. (Lejonklou HiFi just upgraded the Entity from 1.1 to 1.2 and the change was a new lock washer and a new nut, that attach the AC ground tag to the chassis, installed with each part faced in the most musical direction and with the most musical torque.) But unless you have actually tested new vs. old fasteners at the appropriate torque you don't know whether it makes an improvement or not.

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Also from the instructions:
5* MECH 919 Torx screws with
Shakeproof washers. (2 or 3 only needed
for Klimax Upgrade).

Ben Webster

Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The five screws are not for the main board and PS. They are for the main board only which uses five screws on the Akurate version and three on the Klimax version (or two on some older Klimax cases). There is no mention of replacing the screws for the power supply board in the fitting instructions and no screws for that purpose are supplied with the kit. The Linn instructions state "Do not be alarmed if you have 2 or 3 MECH 919 left over. This is correct." This will only be the case with a Klimax case Radikal. If your Radikal is a Klimax version that only uses two screws you could certainly use the other three for that as they will fit. But there is no reason to believe that doing so will do anything to the grounding of the PS. Could it make a musical improvement? Certainly it could as fasteners do make a difference. (Lejonklou HiFi just upgraded the Entity from 1.1 to 1.2 and the change was a new lock washer and a new nut, that attach the AC ground tag to the chassis, installed with each part faced in the most musical direction and with the most musical torque.) But unless you have actually tested new vs. old fasteners at the appropriate torque you don't know whether it makes an improvement or not.
When only two screws needed for the main board (I may have an older case) three are left.

Believe me or not: the three screws for the power supply board make an improvement.

For those who need three (or more for the Akurate case) I can‘t recommend to mix old and new screws!

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
When only two screws needed for the main board (I may have an older case) three are left.

Believe me or not: the three screws for the power supply board make an improvement.

For those who need three (or more for the Akurate case) I can‘t recommend to mix old and new screws!
Always something else to try out!

Reactions: Ben Webster

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speaking of torquing screws, I just retorqued the fasteners on the drivers of my speakers. Some were a bit under spec. Wow! A noticeable improvement of bass definition. Gosh, this is fun.
I then retorqued the lugnuts of my Porsche. Nope, no difference.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I sincerely hope, for $12,000, that those exhaust pipes are really bass reflex ports!!!

llatpoh

Wammer
Wammer
May 27, 2022
The Free State Of Texas, USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Of course, I was joking. But some of the superlatives and enormous improvements described would suggest that the original .........................
;)
I think you are being too nice by calling them superlatives, I would rather say hyperbole, just like in the naim world, every upgrade opens up a window to heaven, that is until the next one...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online