Linn Owners

Radikal 2 upgrade kit

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
I'm thinking of getting the Radikal upgrade kit in the near future. Certainly, the defective Urika has to come back from repair in Glasgow first.

At Linn, changes often take place quietly and covertly, and are not always communicated to ensure some calm in the market.

As part of the upgrade, I am also considering possibly replacing the Dynamik PSU that I upgraded at the time as part of the campaign. In the meantime, Linn has invested in more modern machines for assembling the circuit boards. Has anyone perhaps unscrewed their new Radikal1 and looked to see what has changed with regard to the PSU comparison to the Dynamic PSU of the first generation? Has anyone perhaps also noticed differences in sound that can be attributed to a changed PSU?

Thank you very much for your opinions.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Rille

Which version of the Radikal are you currently using?

What is the price of a new Dynamik installed? It seems that whatever the price, it may be too much for perhaps no improvement, and perhaps a minimal improvement at best. I think if it had improved enough there would be a Dynamik 2.

Whatever version of Radikal you are currently using, the upgrade to Radikal 2 should provide enough improvement that you may forget about upgrading the Dynamik, at least for a while. :)

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
I am currently using the Radikal1 that I bought shortly after its introduction. I also upgraded the PSU to a Dynamik power supply during the promotion. A current Dynamik power supply will probably cost around 600 €.

My question results from my positive experience with a DC filter that I connected before the Radikal. Perhaps Linn also came to the decision at that point that it could be useful to free the alternating current from its direct current components and developed an even more effective solution.

pdcman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2020
As regards the Dynamik PS issue, I think there have been small component changes over time, but not a re-design.

When my KK went back for a fettle last year, the job sheet stated that they had changed a few components on the PS to bring it 'up to date.'
The overall improvement in the KK was extraordinary, but I can’t say how much of this was due to the PS mods, as they changed a few other components on the main board that weren’t measuring correctly.

Reactions: akamatsu

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
@ akamatsu
In my case, it is the Klimax housing, which I found to be noticeably superior to the Akurate housing in terms of sound and music. In the meantime, more people seem to share this opinion.

I think it should not be underestimated how much the manufacturing technology influences the sound. I see this as a reason why Linn has invested in new assembly machines.

For me as a consumer, this is difficult to verify. Your suggestion to listen to it in comparison would certainly make sense, but unfortunately I don't know anyone in my environment, let alone two, who own a Radikal upgrade or a Radikal

@pdcman
The unit still says Klimax Kontrol and it sounds much better, as you describe. When I had to send in my Solos for the dynamic upgrade, I also changed the circuit boards at the same time.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@ akamatsu
In my case, it is the Klimax housing, which I found to be noticeably superior to the Akurate housing in terms of sound and music. In the meantime, more people seem to share this opinion.

I think it should not be underestimated how much the manufacturing technology influences the sound. I see this as a reason why Linn has invested in new assembly machines.

For me as a consumer, this is difficult to verify. Your suggestion to listen to it in comparison would certainly make sense, but unfortunately I don't know anyone in my environment, let alone two, who own a Radikal upgrade or a Radikal

@pdcman
The unit still says Klimax Kontrol and it sounds much better, as you describe. When I had to send in my Solos for the dynamic upgrade, I also changed the circuit boards at the same time.
If it were Akurate case, I would've recommended not bothering and to save up for the Klimax case. I got the ARad in 2016, replaced it with KRad last year, and upgraded to Radikal 2. The KRadial was subtly better during the in-store demo. At home, as I'm sure you also experienced, not subtle at all.

Rille

Wammer
Jan 6, 2020
If it were Akurate case, I would've recommended not bothering and to save up for the Klimax case. I got the ARad in 2016, replaced it with KRad last year, and upgraded to Radikal 2. The KRadial was subtly better during the in-store demo. At home, as I'm sure you also experienced, not subtle at all.
I have never found the difference between A-Radikal and K-Radikal to be subtle. The difference is not very spectacular and therefore difficult to identify and name. It is an (emotional) level in the music that seems to be elementary to the experience of the music. Once you have understood this level (not with your mind), there is no turning back.

Linn invests a lot of energy and care in the design of his housings. I suspect that this is part of the sound quality of the products.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have never found the difference between A-Radikal and K-Radikal to be subtle. The difference is not very spectacular and therefore difficult to identify and name. It is an (emotional) level in the music that seems to be elementary to the experience of the music. Once you have understood this level (not with your mind), there is no turning back.
Agree wholeheartedly!

In the opening part of the Organik promo video, Gilad points to this exactly. When you improve on something that is already so good, very subtle details are revealed that make a profound impact on musical enjoyment. Something like that.

I hear it everyday. There truly is no turning back.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn invests a lot of energy and care in the design of his housings. I suspect that this is part of the sound quality of the products.
The ARadikal to KRadikal demonstration solidified that concept for me. Placing the components on a rigid, stable, and lightweight stand really takes advantage of the superior acoustic isolation properties of the case.

Reactions: DB1328

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Agree wholeheartedly!

In the opening part of the Organik promo video, Gilad points to this exactly. When you improve on something that is already so good, very subtle details are revealed that make a profound impact on musical enjoyment. Something like that.

I hear it everyday. There truly is no turning back.
That wording would tend to apply quite well to the Ekstatik. Just sayin'!;)

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That wording would tend to apply quite well to the Ekstatik. Just sayin'!;)
I would expect no less, in the context of a top level system.;)

I've been trying to recall when this transition to higher-fi happened. I think it was when going from ARadikal to KRadikal. Thinking of the tune, the notes were correct. The upgrade refined and polished the notes, filling in with the harmonics and minutely subtle details that has music be more musical. Since then, Radikal 2, NG Klimax DSMH, optical Ethernet, and the rack have, with each step, enhanced this effect.

Next step, Ekstatik!

saxo

Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
France-Bretagne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akurate Radikal pèse 4,2 kg en tôle d'aluminium mince 380x380x91mm.
Klimax Radikal pèse 10 kg en bloc d'aluminium fraisé 350x355x60mm
La rigidité mécanique et l'abolition des vibrations, le blindage épais du Klimax permettent une meilleure insensibilité aux interactions sur les circuits et le silence. Comparé à l'Akurate, cela se traduit par moins de perturbations et une meilleure clarté de la musique.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Akurate Radikal pèse 4,2 kg en tôle d'aluminium mince 380x380x91mm.
Klimax Radikal pèse 10 kg en bloc d'aluminium fraisé 350x355x60mm
La rigidité mécanique et l'abolition des vibrations, le blindage épais du Klimax permettent une meilleure insensibilité aux interactions sur les circuits et le silence. Comparé à l'Akurate, cela se traduit par moins de perturbations et une meilleure clarté de la musique.
And, if you have the Klimax case be as motionless as possible, the sound quality improves. At least it did in my system. And not by a small amount.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a video review, unboxing, installation of a Radikal 2 kit into an Akurate cased Radikal. It's in Japanese, and I can't figure out how to translate. Oh well, I think it's novel enough that he did such an in-depth video. One thing that is interesting is that in Japan, the performance difference between KRadikal and ARadikal is acknowledged. The ARad is know as the Radikal-AK there. I think his enthusiastic reaction to the final product is very telling in any language.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.