Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to the upgrade kit. Mine is on order. I know many of you here have ordered as well. Others are planning on ordering. I believe there are a few Radikal 2s out there in the field already, with really good reports of sound quality improvement.

Do we have information on when the kits will ship?

Also, a question that has been on my mind is what happens to the old parts? Are they traded in? Does the customer keep them?

Cheers,

Michael

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, a question that has been on my mind is what happens to the old parts? Are they traded in? Does the customer keep them?
I think Tom answered this in the other thread.  If it's a trade-in program, the dealer keeps the parts and can sell them on.  If it's an upgrade program, the parts are returned to Linn for disposal as they see fit.

Reactions: alby and akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Tom answered this in the other thread.  If it's a trade-in program, the dealer keeps the parts and can sell them on.  If it's an upgrade program, the parts are returned to Linn for disposal as they see fit.
I guess I missed that post. It makes sense that with the kit upgrade, old parts would be kept by the dealer.

saxo

Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
France-Bretagne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I had updated the Radikal power card for the DYNAMIK card, I had kept the old, first Radikal card can rescue if a failure arrives on the DYNAMIK. I hope it’s the same for the new Radikal 2 card and engine? It’s not a standard exchange it’s an upgrade.

Reactions: akamatsu

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The upgrade kits are supposed to start shipping any day now according to my Linn rep (two weeks ago he said within a fortnight).  The parts removed from the LP12 and the Radikal PS are to be destroyed and disposed of in line with local waste policies for electronic parts/devices.  Old parts cannot be repurposed or used as replacements in other products.  It is important to make sure that all the new parts have been installed and are working before destroying the old parts.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The upgrade kits are supposed to start shipping any day now according to my Linn rep (two weeks ago he said within a fortnight).  The parts removed from the LP12 and the Radikal PS are to be destroyed and disposed of in line with local waste policies for electronic parts/devices.  Old parts cannot be repurposed or used as replacements in other products.  It is important to make sure that all the new parts have been installed and are working before destroying the old parts.
That's is great news about the shipping. I could be sporting a new Radikal 2 by next week!

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That's is great news about the shipping. I could be sporting a new Radikal 2 by next week!
I don't know if I'd get my hopes that high up!  My Radikal 2 (machined) shipped on October 1 then sat at Stansted GB through the 6th, shipped to France, then to Germany then to Memphis on the 7th where it has been sitting awaiting "additional information" to allow customs clearance (a common problem with US customs) through today.  It is now apparently cleared and is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.🥵

saxo

Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
France-Bretagne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you Thomas.
In France the possibility is small to be able to compare Radikal to Radikal 2. I will wait until the beginning of 2022 to collect opinions of comparisons.

HBerg

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not very "green" or environmental thinking from Linn here. Destroy working parts is bad policy.

Reactions: kryno

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All trade in goods that go to LINN are scrap recycled.

Nothing reaches the second hand market. 😎👍🏻

Reactions: Chris 1970

HBerg

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All trade in goods that go to LINN are scrap recycled.

Nothing reaches the second hand market. 😎👍🏻
But according to Tom's answer the parts will not go to Linn but are scrapped by the retailer.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But according to Tom's answer the parts will not go to Linn but are scrapped by the retailer.
I'm sure that's what he meant once it hits the dealer it's gone.

Linn don't want a huge second hand market of obsolete gear it's a PITA 

Probably not cost effective to return shipping from a long distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote

HBerg

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure that's what he meant once it hits the dealer it's gone.

Linn don't want a huge second hand market of obsolete gear it's a PITA 

Probably not cost effective to return shipping from a long distance.
Sure Linn don't want to have any S/H parts laying around but the buyer of the new parts could have the used parts handed over to do what ever they want with it.

teuchter85

Wammer
Apr 12, 2019
Michigan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is purely hypothetical, but if someone wanted to use the "old" parts to make a DIY Radikal "renew" for a second deck that they own, they would need to source several additional parts:

1. A Mini Dynamik power supply, or an original non-dynamik power supply of the type that was fitted to Radikal & Uphorik prior to the introduction of the Mini Dynamik. The non-dynamik power supply was PCAS 551 I think.
  2. A power switch and cable to go to the power supply.
  3. A cable to go from the power supply to the main board. Not certain, but I think they are JST series EH connectors.
  4. An LED and cable to go to the main board (assuming you want to know if your "renew" is on or off).
  5. A suitable enclosure into which to mount the electronics, plus board mounts/screws. Of course you are not going to find anything off the shelf that is 100% suitable and so you will need to do a number of modifications such as drilling rear panel holes for the XLR connectors.
  6. A control switch for fitting to the second LP12 i.e. the switch with the two LEDs. Not sure if the Radikal and Lingo 4 switches are the same (they may well be), but AFAIK the Radikal switch is different to Valhalla & Lingo 1-3 (these older products use a flexi cable, and the Valhalla only has one LED).
  7. A couple of screws that are reused for the Tacho mount.

Items 1 & 6 are going to be the really tricky ones. Not that I have given any of this any thought whatsoever!.

Reactions: kryno and akamatsu

kryno

Nicolav
Wammer
Oct 22, 2018
AKA
Nicola
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is purely hypothetical, but if someone wanted to use the "old" parts to make a DIY Radikal "renew" for a second deck that they own, they would need to source several additional parts:

1. A Mini Dynamik power supply, or an original non-dynamik power supply of the type that was fitted to Radikal & Uphorik prior to the introduction of the Mini Dynamik. The non-dynamik power supply was PCAS 551 I think.
  2. A power switch and cable to go to the power supply.
  3. A cable to go from the power supply to the main board. Not certain, but I think they are JST series EH connectors.
  4. An LED and cable to go to the main board (assuming you want to know if your "renew" is on or off).
  5. A suitable enclosure into which to mount the electronics, plus board mounts/screws. Of course you are not going to find anything off the shelf that is 100% suitable and so you will need to do a number of modifications such as drilling rear panel holes for the XLR connectors.
  6. A control switch for fitting to the second LP12 i.e. the switch with the two LEDs. Not sure if the Radikal and Lingo 4 switches are the same (they may well be), but AFAIK the Radikal switch is different to Valhalla & Lingo 1-3 (these older products use a flexi cable, and the Valhalla only has one LED).
  7. A couple of screws that are reused for the Tacho mount.

Items 1 & 6 are going to be the really tricky ones. Not that I have given any of this any thought whatsoever!.
Very interesting but I think it is impossible to achieve... As you said, it’s purely hypothetical

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The parts removed from the LP12 and the Radikal PS are to be destroyed and disposed of in line with local waste policies for electronic parts/devices.  Old parts cannot be repurposed or used as replacements in other products.  It is important to make sure that all the new parts have been installed and are working before destroying the old parts.
Am I the only one here, who feels that destroying high quality parts, is not exactly in line with Linn's sustainability image, that made yours truly a Linn LP12 fan ca. 30 yrs ago. I always liked the idea, that pre-owned stuff is handed down to new happy users, most likely ones with a tighter budget. Actually, this information takes a lot of enthusiasm off my plans to order a Radikal 2. My Radikal is just one year old, and still under warranty. why should I trash it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles