Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A couple of years ago, I bought a VTI brand four tier rack from Amazon. It was a very noticeable improvement over the Ikea Kallax quad unit that I used when I went from LK boxes to the new stuff. Here it is:

IMG_9664.jpeg

I recently modified it to this:

IMG_9668.jpeg

In so doing, I made a couple of improvements to the rack. I added jam nuts to the spikes so they could be adjusted and tightened properly.

IMG_9665.jpeg

IMG_9666.jpeg

I also removed the spongy rubber bits so that the platforms are coupled to the frame.

IMG_9667.jpeg

All of this resulted in a very nice improvement in sound quality. I had thought that there were sonic gains to be had by tightening things up. But I had no idea how much was available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That really makes sense! What I'm not so sure about is the removal of the "spongy bits" to couple the platforms to the metal frame. I would definitely try installing some sort of foam again, just to make sure you're not missing out on performance.

Edit: Actually, I'd probably bring out my drill and thread maker and insert 4 adjustable spikes for each level.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That really makes sense! What I'm not so sure about is the removal of the "spongy bits" to couple the platforms to the metal frame. I would definitely try installing some sort of foam again, just to make sure you're not missing out on performance.
I am thinking the opposite. The old Sound Organisation racks had spikes under the platforms. My AudioTech has spikes underneath a well. I've been thinking about how to fashion spikes to support the platforms. The idea is to have the rack be as rigid as possible.

I'm also looking to change out the platforms to something of a lighter material. All this to replicate a rack that I bought over 30 years ago for about $250.

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think the experiment would be for me to place the Klimax DSM on the AudioTech TT stand and see if that improves performance. Again, I would expect a very small improvement. But that's what I thought previously, and was very surprised by what I heard.

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the experiment would be for me to place the Klimax DSM on the AudioTech TT stand and see if that improves performance. Again, I would expect a very small improvement. But that's what I thought previously, and was very surprised by what I heard.
I definitively think that could be a lot better. See my "edit" above, we had the the same idea about the spikes. I could also recommend you some boards, but they are from Germany...

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I definitively think that could be a lot better.
Now you are tempting me. :)

I had my LP12 off of the AudioTech when I had the Radikal 2 done. I didn't take advantage at the time as I thought the DSM would be too heavy. It turns out that the LP12 is no lightweight either.

I'm thinking that, like the LP12, the NG Klimax DSM is such a powerful source component that the serious music lover would provide it with its own stand.

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I definitively think that could be a lot better. See my "edit" above, we had the the same idea about the spikes. I could also recommend you some boards, but they are from Germany...
A lot of good things and ideas (and people) come out of Germany. I'm interested. If I could buy the sheets of raw material, I could use the old platforms as a template. But I do need to figure out how to place spikes. I have an idea or two.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I made another modification to the rack. I ordered some proper M10 spikes from China via Ebay. The others were rather short, with little thread on thread contact. The new ones are about 40 mm long. Much better. I also added the short bottom tier. Using the Naim Fraim as a go-by, and finally figuring out how spikes can provide both stability and isolation, I figured an extra layer of isolation, and stabilizing the long legs of the tier above might be a good improvement.

451A947B-B4DF-4868-85FE-3167A3E935D1.jpeg

0884C6A4-51FD-4C95-A501-BEC14D5549B2.jpeg

Each tier was leveled and stabilized.

I'm listening now to Qobuz. I think I'm hearing more detail. Would it pass a blind test? At this point, with much difficulty, maybe. I'll do some serious listening this evening. If the dance moves improve, it's for real. :D

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I did some proper listening to some vinyl last night. There is definitely more detail. This additional resolution increased the musical engagement quite a bit. I was really enjoying LPs that I've been listening to lately, and am very familiar with. I didn't want to stop listening. I had to force myself to shut it down and go to bed.

So the tightening up of the frame made a nice improvement. The next step will be to fashion spikes under the shelves to isolate them from the vibrations in the frame.

P.S. The dance moves don't lie. :D

cspgqqt

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I resisted the Naim Fraim for years, but the Fraim upgrade made a spectacular improvement when I got my head round it.

fraimcherry_4_0.jpg

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve no use for any racking, but if I did I’d be seriously considering the Fraim as it’s got to be one of the coolest looking systems out there.

’troll

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
UK
AKA
Nestor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a cherry and black Fraim which blends in with other furniture. I bought it when I used Naim kit; only Naim I kept when I upgraded to Linn. If I were buying afresh I’d opt for something without a centrally located rear pillar, which can make access to sockets on some kit a challenge. Also some of the metal parts became discoloured over the years (replaced) and the wooden shelves are soft and easy to scratch. That said, it works well for me and I doubt I’ll change it - for all its idiosyncrasies, it is very good.  

@akamatsu your design looks superb and I bet it sounds fantastic too. 

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was going to post separately inquiring about the Naim Fraim, as I'm very interested. Perhaps this thread could serve the purpose.

Does anyone else out there have experience with it that they'd like to share?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No experience, but don’t forget the Fraimlite version, too.

’troll

akamatsu

Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I resisted the Naim Fraim for years, but the Fraim upgrade made a spectacular improvement when I got my head round it.
What were you using before the Naim Fraim? I'd like to hear more about the "spectacular improvement." I'm finding that there are definitely sonic gains to be had by making very small increases in rigidity and stability of the rack. Naim seem to have gone to the nth degree on this with the Fraim.