Re set tracking weight on EKOS SE/1 tonearm

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh, how I wish I could be "quite happy" with a Koetsu! ($$$$$$$$$)

:cry:
Some of the warmest and IME best sounding cartridges are Koetsu's. The stone bodied models are amazing if matched up with the right phono stage. When i was cartridge shopping, the choice fell down to a Koetsu Urushi or the Lyra Kleos, i went with the Kleos as it is far more resolved at both ends of the frequency spectrum, but in the mids, the Koetsu is a stunner. No wrong answer here.

Ron.P

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Question about anti-skating:
This may sound silly but is the perfect A-S setting such that on a groove-less record, like a track on my test record, the arm just sits in one place as the record rotates?

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Ron.P

There is a misconception out there on this. The short answer is "no." The direction of the force vector created by the friction of the stylus is determined by the tangent to the groove. If there is no groove, this vector points directly to the pivot of the arm, and no moment is created. Therefore, no skating force.

Match the stylus tracking force, and adjust by ear from there.

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While I agree with much of what you say I do have customers who are quite happy with the perfromance of their Koetsu or Lyra cartridges on their Klimax LP12/Ekos SE, as well as some with mid to upper level Dynavector and Ortofon MCs. In some cases the Linn heavy counterweight might be recommended but otherwise the pairings are sounding just fine.
Spot on with this. Out of personal preference I run a top end Lyra cart on my Klimax Lp12 / Ekos Se and yes it does require the heavy counterweight to perform at its best. All high performing Linn dealers should offer this sort of service ...... (y)

Reactions: Mr Kandid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.