Linn Owners

Really? What's the point in Tune Dem before SO?

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Do you find that either the tune is there or it isn't? I seem to have this experience of music to where I'm either feeling it or I'm not.
Yes, the way I see it is that in moving the speaker you are either revealing or concealing the tune in a progressive manner until you can't really move it any more to get more of the tune out of the system.

For speaker placement, I've found that the tune of the bass seems to change more with speaker position than higher frequencies. Is this your experience? Or am I off the mark?

Yes, and also (interestingly enough), proper (accurate) reproduction of the low frequencies, to my ear at least, has a profound affect of the relative harmonics of the mid- and higher- frequencies. 

Reactions: SnapperMike

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Something I often do, to prevent myself from being distracted by the level of bass, is listen to an acoustic guitar piece, listening to the tunefulness of the whole range of notes. When the system sounds in tune, the bass will automagically have sorted itself out!
Something I have experienced and implemented as well on numerous occasions. Great tip.

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What I do experience in my room, is that once the speaker positions are finalised and SO setup, then they sound good from most anywhere in the room, not just the listening position. YMMV
In fact quite frankly the insistence in audiophile circles on a "sweet spot" means that I can typically immediately tell when walking into a given room at this point if the speakers happen to be placed properly, based on this simple fact alone. This is the goal of the best mixing engineers I have met as well.

Reactions: Moomintroll

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe you need someone to hold your hand and drink your Whisky, Mike. Now we can visit other people’s homes, I could drop in sometime. I am a ‘Prescott’ as far as the vaccine goes. I am currently auditioning a pair of Shahinian Obelisks in my system. Fortunately it doesn’t really matter where you put them, they just sound musical. They are on castors, so easy to move around to try in different locations. I never really managed to get good results with Tunedem. I have mentioned it many times in this forum that SO (1&2) just never does it for me. My system ALWAYS sounds better with SO off. Until Paul can get back across the pond, this will remain the case. I agree that once the bass is right, everything else falls in to place. Find a song with a good baseline and once you can follow the baseline with ease AND it gets your toes tapping, you will be there. My song of choice for this is ‘Circuital’ by ‘My Morning Jacket’ (the bass doesn’t come in for a while) but I am sure you have plenty of Jazz tracks with good bass lines. My main advice to you though, is don’t dwell on it too long or it will spoil your enjoyment or actually listening to your music. 

Reactions: SnapperMike

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With my previous Keltiks I would say they were virtually unlistenable without using SO
I agree. Even with my previous Ninkas and even the Katans, I found SO to be beneficial in my room. In fact, The Keltiks without SO are more listenable than the Ninkas without SO. How does that work?  o_O

Mike.

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe you need someone to hold your hand and drink your Whisky, Mike. Now we can visit other people’s homes, I could drop in sometime. I am a ‘Prescott’ as far as the vaccine goes. I am currently auditioning a pair of Shahinian Obelisks in my system. Fortunately it doesn’t really matter where you put them, they just sound musical. They are on castors, so easy to move around to try in different locations. I never really managed to get good results with Tunedem. I have mentioned it many times in this forum that SO (1&2) just never does it for me. My system ALWAYS sounds better with SO off. Until Paul can get back across the pond, this will remain the case. I agree that once the bass is right, everything else falls in to place. Find a song with a good baseline and once you can follow the baseline with ease AND it gets your toes tapping, you will be there. My song of choice for this is ‘Circuital’ by ‘My Morning Jacket’ (the bass doesn’t come in for a while) but I am sure you have plenty of Jazz tracks with good bass lines. My main advice to you though, is don’t dwell on it too long or it will spoil your enjoyment or actually listening to your music. 
Wow Bill, those Shahinian Obelisks look amazing! What made you try those? Do you think you'll change? One thing you have to do is give me first refusal on your Akudoriks! I'm still, even with my recent Keltiks, desperate to try speakers with the 3k array in my room. You are very welcome to come and visit and have a listen to what I have now. I'm not doing much work at the moment so I'm pretty free most of the time. It will be good to see you again and for me to get a second opinion on what I have here.

Thanks for the advice on Tune Dem. I shall spend most of this coming weekend working on that. I hope Sheila is well.

Mike.

Reactions: Billz

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow Bill, those Shahinian Obelisks look amazing! What made you try those? Do you think you'll change?
Long story short, Mike, I heard Arc’s a long time ago and the sound stayed with me. A friend of a friend was selling his Obelisks at a great price, which are a step up from the Arc’s, so thought I would dive in. Had them less than a fortnight and still trying to decide. If I can get the bass as controlled as I had the Akudoriks, I will be happy. They make a great sound, very musical. I will give them another week or so, then put the Akudoriks back and make decision as to which pair I will keep.

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Long story short, Mike, I heard Arc’s a long time ago and the sound stayed with me. A friend of a friend was selling his Obelisks at a great price, which are a step up from the Arc’s, so thought I would dive in. Had them less than a fortnight and still trying to decide. If I can get the bass as controlled as I had the Akudoriks, I will be happy. They make a great sound, very musical. I will give them another week or so, then put the Akudoriks back and make decision as to which pair I will keep.
Bill, I just think you should sell your Akudoriks to me! At least give me a home demo.  :D

"I am a ‘Prescott’ as far as the vaccine goes" Haha, I just got that!

Decide when you'd like to come for a listen.

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Billz

Fester

Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Toronto, Canada
AKA
Scotty
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mike - please don’t misunderstand my comments. With correct speaker position SO is not necessary IMO.

The problem is finding that exact spot where everything comes together. Since there are so many variables it takes time and patience and you tackle one issue at a time. If you’re interested I can gladly talk you thru the process over the phone.

My speakers are 84cms now from the front wall and I don’t feel the need for SO. I wish I could have them a foot further apart from each other but that’s not possible with our furniture so ill leave that for the next apartment.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
Hey Zee,is that measurement to the rear or front of the speaker? Thx

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Fester. Front of the speaker (as that’s in line with most of the components) to the front wall (wall behind the speakers)

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

• Upvote
Reactions: Fester

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles