Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
51OtpWbCziL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The French baroque composers tend to be overshadowed by the towering figures of Bach and Handel, and they did churn out a load of potboilers for the endless entertainments of Louis XIV, especially under the tyrannical Lully. However, some of them produced truly excellent music, one such being Jean-Philippe Rameau. This is a collection of Rameau pieces, both vocal and orchestral, arranged into a suite. Very nicely done - beautifully played, beautifully sung by Sabine Devieilhe, and nicely recorded.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice performance of Brandenburg No.2, with its cruel trumpet part, one of the repertoire's most difficult:

[video=youtube;3HSRIDtwsfM]

Reactions: Le Baron

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can recommend Alison balsom italin concertos, emi , its got some fantastic tunes, and well recorded, if you would like I can send yu some of my little bands recordings, barouque, tunes, , were called cromlits lilt, see our face book for list of tunes, happy to post out a basic recording or tunes, regards lowendall

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice live performance of the Fasch concerto for trumpet and 2 oboes:

[video=youtube;P8_iExJ-CTQ]

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Would like some suggestions on Recorder Consort recordings similar to this:

At the moment I'm looking at recordings by The Royal Wind Music and the Brisk Recorder Quartet

Any advice is much appreciated :^

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps the search function of the forum has failed ole' Klassik, but Klassik finds it rather flabbergasting that there is not a thread or much discussion at all on this sub-forum about the Purcell brothers. Has their music been deemed to be London by the Wigwam? That's a shame if so because Klassik finds it to be good music from the 17th century and it's quite easy to listen to for the most part.

Klassik was rather unsure of what to listen to this evening and so after looking through Klassik's CD collection, a CD of Purcell Brothers music by the Ensemble Mediolanum on the Christophorus label, grabbed Klassik's attention. It had been a while, probably 2-3 years, since ole' Klassik had given it a listen. Klassik's conclusion after listening to it is that should be listening to this album more often!

The full album is on YouTube here, but here are a couple of samples. First is Henry Purcell's Toccata in A for solo harpsichord:

Here is a Trio Sonata, No. 2 in D minor, by Daniel Purcell performed on recorder, cello, and harpsichord:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If there's no mention of Henry Purcell on here then it is indeed a notable omission. I've got the complete odes and sacred music sets by Robert King and they are magnificent.

However despite being a fan since I heard a recording of Come ye Sons of Art Away by Alfred Deller on R3 when I was 14, I have to admit I have never heard of his brother Daniel and I suspect not many others have either. I presume he wasn't quite as good a composer as Henry?

Reactions: Klassik

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
However despite being a fan since I heard a recording of Come ye Sons of Art Away by Alfred Deller on R3 when I was 14, I have to admit I have never heard of his brother Daniel and I suspect not many others have either. I presume he wasn't quite as good a composer as Henry?
Klassik should say that while it is generally written that Daniel Purcell was Henry's brother, Klassik has seen it written that Daniel and Henry were cousins. Klassik is unsure why there is confusion, or what the truth might be, but it is generally written that they are brothers so Klassik will work off that assumption.

Daniel's music is much the same as Henry's in terms of genre and style. Daniel's works are probably worth a listen if one likes Henry's works. Will they be as good? Well, maybe not, but Klassik finds Daniel's works, the few Klassik has heard at least, to still be an enjoyable listen.

Reactions: Lawrence001

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles