Renault sport Megane Coupe Trophy, what a laff - now I cant decide

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Just read this long-term review from Car magazine,and thought the comparison to a MK7 Golf GTI was interesting.http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/Long-term-tests/BMW-M235i-2014-long-term-test-review/
As much as I like the MK7 Golf GTi I've never been too impressed by the interiors although I would have made an exception for the Golf R - alas ...

IIRC the 09 cars also benefitted from improvements in performance and efficiency. As for that comparison - I've seen the 235 with the 'performance kit' and bigger 19" wheels and it's a real visual improvement over the standard car. BMW will be adding a LSD to the options list soon simply to stop these motor journos from bitching about the car's reluctance to want to go sideways...
Agreed jazzer, they do look nicer with performance kit but then its back to almost £40k so out of budget, my intention is to stay below £30k and even lower if better hence why I asked about the older 335's as theres a stunning 2007 one with with 16k on clock petrol for £17k but I've also found out this will have the older rubbish drive - I'm not making this any easier am I :D

legzr1

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 21, 2005
Durham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A hartech fettled 996 C4S for £15K or 997 C2 at £17K are a couple of cars that have caught my attention.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Don't confuse him any further... :roll:
LOL :D

well Im going to test drive a 59 reg Audi tt 2.0 tfsi tomorrow and if that doesn't work out I will try and buy a 3 door M135i cos it looks nicer than the 5 door and the posse are with me on this.

the Audi will cost less than half of the m135 and yes it's a very different beast so I'll report back tomorrow.

my latest feeling is that I don't think I can comfortably afford 997 gen 1 without living in fear of the worst so I'm not going to put myself through it, hopefully in life I'll be able to get a gen 2 and if not so be it.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
As you know (I've bored you enough with it) this car hunt was about finding something that made me feel good about the world in general so I wanted something to make me smile - trouble is the only car I really wanted was a porsche 997 Carrera S.

Having looked at all the numbers I concluded yes I could buy a 997 but it would have to be a Gen 1 and I would then live in fear of what might happen so I decided that for my own sanity I will only buy a Gen 2 997 (may not happen in my lifetime but I can live with that).

Having found the perfect spec M135 at a great price the family ventured out with the intent to purchase it and once we got to the test drive at the dealer my lads went straight past it to the E92 M3 :doh: - not a good sign really (the E46 M3 in the showroom didn't help matters much). So we did the test drive and the car felt nice, high riding position, very comfy with all mod cons and in sport mode you knew the engine would be fun BUT there wasn't a peep out of the posse :nerves: (another bad sign). We concluded that although quick the M135 just didn't feel special (the drab interior didn't help although it is much improved from previous generations so its not low rent at all like the Megane), it didn't grab us and make us want to fork out £27k+.

I wanted a car my wife and I could enjoy and getting to the TT (a 2.0 TFSI Special Edition in Black so no fancy Quattro or S-tronic gizmo's) as you can imagine my wife fell in love with the looks and after a drive she was smitten but this would have no bearing on the final outcome as it was to be my car (I do want everyone to be happy though). Lads thought it looked so much better than the M135i too.

Then it came to driving it, I wasn't expecting much to be honest (reputations and all that) so I snuggled into the drivers seat and first reaction was - this feels really upmarket (the opposite of the BMW), I felt good but that doesn't mean much if the drive isn't up to scratch. Once I'd gotten used to the feeling of it and I had sussed the car is very planted I pushed it a little and the car responded brilliantly and the numb steering people refer to was no worse than the M135 - it was looking positive. Once I got into the groove I realised that for me right now this was a car I could enjoy without losing my licence, feel good and the car looks great (being a 2009 car there were some body related makes that could easily be sorted). Dare I say it, it felt like a more cultured version of the 997 Gen 1 without the costs that go with it.

So it was unanimous decision that we would go for the TT with a view to keeping it 18 months and then re-evaluate, so yes I have bought the TT :eek:j:

I know they have a reputation but so do the meganes and the bimmers etc. but all I can say to anyone looking is don't go for the obvious one without test driving and seeing for yourself. Yes it's been a long journey but I applied the same principles I applied when buying hifi i.e. try it for yourself (I did have some prompting on here by Jezzer and I can't thank you enough for it mate :hug:have a hug from me :D ). The TT has come in at just under £13k so we've spent a lot less than first anticipated (although that wasn't the limiting factor in this choice) and ignoring the Porsche I would say the Megane was the 2nd best drivers car from the ones I drove, it just made me feel good and on reflection I would have bought it over the M135 despite everyones protestations, 4 years warranty etc negates any fears in my eyes no matter how badly built they are - all the buyer has to do is hand the keys over to the dealer for them to fix the car for free - it's a really good car IMO.

The best part of this route is that if we can live with the TT and the Yeti for 18 months then the process starts again but this time it will be a straight choice between a 997 Gen 2 or an E92 M3 so watch this space folks!

Now all I've got to do is sell my mint MK4 Golf GT TDi, she's a real beauty :cs:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts along my journey I can genuinely say you've helped shape the final outcome and you guys are like family (I'll now wait for the barage of hairdresser comments, probably warranted but I don't care as I love the car :D ).

AudiTT_zps7de6cd1c.jpg'%20alt='AudiTT_zps7de6cd1c.jpg'

Samantha

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2007
South Lincolnshire
AKA
Samantha
:^ You've bought the one YOU liked after the test drives. Life isn't top trumps and some things are not measured and appear on the stat sheets, so good on you for going your own way.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Later gen TTs are not hairdresser by a long way. They do lose a bit on practicality, but by all accounts they make up for it in driving dynamics.

You bought something that ticked the boxes and was a sensible choice all round. But with a lovely dose of insanity thrown in.

Enjoy it. Walking away from the 911 was extremely sensible given the overall stated budget. A better car, possibly. However, only if you can buy the best. If you can't, it's fun while it lasts, and until the bills start coming in. I have made the wrong decision a few times in the past, and it's bloody painful.

Great choice frankly.

Now go have some fun!

barnes

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2010
My good lady drives a TTS manual. Really capable car and so much better to drive than a mk1. Enjoy it.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After all that you bought the TT! :doh:

Nah, well done on the purchase mate. It's a fine car. A friend of mine has one and, after her cat, it's her pride and joy (though she has had a couple of issues with hers - sensors showing errors and windows not shutting). The interior is certainly a nice place to be and I know what you mean about the ambiance once you're inside. On the other hand, BMW interiors are just so matter of fact. Aside from the technology, they hardly seem to have evolved in the last twenty years.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Thanks folks I was expecting a barrage of insults :shock:

i wont pick it up until next week but sitting here right now it's a positive feeling and that counts for a lot, having a 100% agreement from the family is a real bonus - it meant a lot to me, I wanted something we all would enjoy and not just me.

Richard - love your comment re: dose of insanity :D that really does sum it up well, the 4 of us won't fit in but 3 will easily and the boot is a surpassingly big old place.

Jezzer - I know mate, since you spend most of your time looking inside the car the special feeling it left me with just won out in the end, BMW have really lost their way as my E36 feels more special than today's fair.

Barnes/Sam - cheers, I so didn't want another bimmer in my life so hopefully this new experience will be fun. I did think about a TTS but figured if this TT works out we could buy a TTRS in the future (love the wing and alloys on them).

Samantha

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2007
South Lincolnshire
AKA
Samantha
Barnes/Sam - cheers, I so didn't want another bimmer in my life so hopefully this new experience will be fun. I did think about a TTS but figured if this TT works out we could buy a TTRS in the future (love the wing and alloys on them).
If you enjoy this - next move straight up to the R8 :^

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles