• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

resale value

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
When you gonna purchase your new (or 2nd hands) Hifi equipments, Do you take resale value into consideration? ie If the product youlike is not big in Uk but they go mad for it in USA would you still buy it?

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
I only buy what i like, but on the rare occasions i have bought without hearing it, i`ve never lost anything. But, if you do buy S/H, theres less of a loss when you sell it on. If you buy it at the right price S/H however, you could easily make a profit
smile.png

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
I do the same PAG on the lower price stuff but when the gear start to get very expensive, there must be a big question mark in the back of your mind. Like Mark got a pair of Ariel 6 for sale and as brilliant as they are he can't resale them because they are not poppular in UK.

G

Get a better discount from your dealer in the first place. It is a tough one but you should ultimately be led by your ears. In practice there are certain brands that have a very loyal following which is great for resale. Naim and Krell being two obvious candidates.

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
Duvet wrote:

Get a better discount from your dealer in the first place. It is a tough one but you should ultimately be led by your ears. In practice there are certain brands that have a very loyal following which is great for resale. Naim and Krell being two obvious candidates.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

On two occasions, i`ve used Kevin at Definitive, first time for the Spacedeck, 2nd time i bought the Unisis Signature. Got a cracking deal from him regarding the Spacedeck, so much so, second hand spaces go for more on the forums without arm compared to what i paid inc arm, and a £200 mat thrown in.

Regarding the unisis, 30 hours use and paid £1500 less than the list price.

Bill at Anvill audio also gave me a cracking deal on the Paduas , brand spanking new and because they where being replaced by the Scorpio, i got offered a deal i couldn`t refuse.

Some of the other stuff i have, i either got second hand or new, but never paid full list.

Find a good dealer, have a listen before hand, so you know what works with what, and if your wise enough, you will never lose much if you eventually upgrade.

A good dealer will make a profit as a matter of course, but will work with you and your budget, and help it all fit in with you and your wallet....plus they will always get more business from you as the trust issue has built up.
biggrin.png

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ob1971 wrote:

When you gonna purchase your new (or 2nd hands) Hifi equipments, Do you take resale value into consideration? ie If the product youlike is not big in Uk but they go mad for it in USA would you still buy it?
Price to me depends on how much I want the item - resale rarely comes into it because the amount I resell is so small. I purchase something for life not just for christmas - well not for life but sometimes it seems like it.

Myaudiophooling as resulted infourturntables four amps and mumerous pairs of loudspeakers.

Each has more than paid for itself for the time they were in my system.

Prime objective is sound second objective is can i get it cheaper. If both are satisfied and my ears convince me then its parting with the green stuff and enjoying it

Uzzy

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
it is a hobby and I expect it to cost me!

A bit like driving a new car off the forecourt depreciation is greater on new kit.

The only new item I have in my system is my CDP. Before that, the only new thing I had in my system was my CDP!

I have never owned a new Amp, but some of the best deals I have done were at the cheaper end when I was starting out. I bought a NAD amp for £80.00 and sold it 9 months later for £120.00, then Bought a Rega Mira for £210.00 and sold it a year later for £340.00.

If I could do that on a regular basis I would buy and sell Hifi for a living!

I don't think that will happen with my current equipment. I have already seen a depreciation on my pre-amp and power amp from what I paid for them s/h to what they are selling on eBay for now.

But I don't expect to enjoy my hobby for nothing, if I factor in how many CD's I buy and how much cheaper they are now compared to even a few years ago, I must be saving money there!

(That was a statement of eternal optimism, of course I am not saving any money, I am just buying more CD's!)

When I think about money I console myself with what I have actually paid for my equipment against what the insurance company would have to pay on a new for old basis to replace it!

(And what I could buy 2nd hand for that!)

Perhaps burglary is the fastest way to upgrade!

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
But when you buy a 2nd hand stuff the chance of demo before buy is pretty slim unless you don't have a job and just driving around country demo-ing!

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
Not really.

I used to demo kit, and then ask the price....sometimes it was like....fook! how much??

I then bided my time until xdem or s/h stuff came up ...but it is suprising the deals dealers can do for you.

As i said earlier, half of my gear is new,the other half is either xdem or s/h, and i demo'd 99% of it before i purchased it.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
ob1971 wrote:

Tel wrote:
Perhaps burglary is the fastest way to upgrade!
Do you know where isUzzy house ?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
I meant being burgled and claiming on the insurance!

I wasn't suggesting making a list of Wammers with kit I covet, bribing James for the addresses, (Well he does need the money for an Amp upgrade) and going visiting!

I have though bought quite a bit of s/h kit on a sale or return basis. It has enabled me to try the equipment in my system at home with a reasonable time to make a decision. I think you can tell over a weekend whether you want it or not.

If it doesn't work then it has cost the carriage, but factor in what you are saving from new prices and it is still a cheaper way of doing things.

Often a dealer has taken the kit as trade in for new upgrades and is not looking to make huge money selling the s/h stuff on but would rather turn it round and get rid of it.

The dealer who sold me my power amp s/h went out of his way to sort me out, it wasn't the original amp I approached him for, and he ended up making a couple of home visits so deals can be done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx