Linn Owners

Review of the Linn NG Klimax DSM

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tesla was an AC proponent. Thomas Edison was the DC guy, and the original audiophile. I believe his first gramophone ran on DC (direct cranking). :)
Thanks for that. I corrected it, but mustn’t have pressed “Save”. I’ll just leave it as it is.

Reactions: akamatsu

chesebert

Wammer
May 1, 2020
Here's another review. This one is from the website of Pearl Audio in Portland, Oregon, USA, and was written by the salesperson there that I've known for years, and who helped me with my Akubarik and NG Klimax purchases. Connor is an intelligent young man, and he delves deeper into the technology than I've read in most other reviews. Enjoy! About a 7 minute read. :)

So it looks like Linn hired someone from dCS to implement a version of ring dac (multi-bit over sampling) for Linn?

Reactions: ThomasOK

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is what stood out for me as well. Most reviews that I've read seemed rather cursory by comparison. I plan on reaching out to the author and telling him about our experiences with optical Ethernet.
@akamatsu I'm using optical ethernet with my Klimax DSM/3. It sounds great but I'm not sure if it sounds "better" than when I had ethernet hooked up. I really am unsure. I don't understand why optical would or should be better than an electrical pulse ?

Last edited:
Reactions: akamatsu

LEFHFW160

Wammer
Mar 9, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So it looks like Linn hired someone from dCS to implement a version of ring dac (multi-bit over sampling) for Linn?
@chesebert I think you're right: it appears that Linn is using 5 bits at a high sampling rate instead of 1 bit like we see with DSD (a.k.a. "Ring DAC" as dCS calls it). But is Linn implementing it in exactly the same way as dCS ? Please let me know. Here is what I found: https://dcsaudio.com/ring-dac#:~:text=The Ring DAC is based,are averaged out over time