Rip audio Bluray

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just for a giggle I thought it would be fun to buy a handful of Yes albums on Bluray. You get the Steven Wilson remix on a CD and a Bluray containing a load of other stuff including a 24 bit version of the CD. It would be fun to compare and I'm a sucker when it comes to Yes.

In my ignorance I thought the 24 bit audio would be as a flac in a folder. Hah! I was wrong. Also dbpoweramp which I use for ripping CDs can't oblige. I have a Bluray drive on my laptop and just want to rip the audio to a flac so I can stick it on my hard disk and stream it with all my other stuff.

I can't find a free ripper (free to download, yes, but only trial to use versions). I'm surprised that there isn't loads of free stuff out there. Can anyone assist, please. Windows 10 by the way.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Ed

Sorry I have never done this before and one of the issues is that most commercial Blu Ray discs have copy protection on them so you are not able to cut out the audio files.

The process is discussed and seems to detailed on this thread but there are also other threads on this site that will perhaps have more detail .

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ripping-blu-ray-audio.884008/

• Upvote
Reactions: Ed Howarth

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use MakeMKV to create a "backup" on my Mac, this removes the copy protection. I then use DVD Audio Extractor to pull the tracks off in FLAC.

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use MakeMKV to create a "backup" on my Mac, this removes the copy protection. I then use DVD Audio Extractor to pull the tracks off in FLAC.
That's the way I'm trying atm, but I've got waylaid making sausages. (As in creating them from first principles - and, yes, the kitchen is in a bit of a state!)

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last time I was in Ibiza with family who live there I was invited to a local pig slaughter . As with many rural peoples every last thing from the pig is used and at the end they made the local sausage Sobrasada . Nothing that went in was measured , no real recipe was used just lots of fresh ingredients and care and blood and pimenton and saffron .

I was very lucky that a visitor from the island to Liverpool has brought me four rings which are now just about ready to eat . The first went this morning and the taste was sublime , sadly i do not see the other three lasting that long .

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sausages are wonderful, ta. Four and a half kilos, some done with certain herbs, some done with garlic and herbs, some with pepper and herbs, etc etc. All made, vacuum packed and ready for sale. And then realise we had no idea of which is which.... Answer is to list just everything on every label.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've done this , not got me sausages mixed up but ripped Bluray discs , can't remember how I did it , my daughters laptop has a bluray drive so I'll take on look on it and see if I downloaded some software .

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've cracked the Bluray (he said confidently). Quite good fun once you get the hang of it, but took a fair bit, and I wouldn't like to do a few hundred. Used MakeMKV and DVD extractor. That actually is the easy bit....  The hard bit is working out which of the 9 versions on the disk are the one/s you want. I started with Fragile. There's the original recording, the 2002 remaster, the 2015 Steven Wilson Remix (yay), an original vinyl copy, a 5.1 version of the 2002 remaster and a 5.1 version of the 2015 remix. Plus some rehearsal takes for the real geeks - some of which have been remixed by SW. Oh and an instrumental version (presumably for karaoke :td: )  When you get it ripped, it just calls each thing Title 1, Title 2, Title 3, etc. Really isn't easy to work out which is which. 

I just have to do the other 4 albums now.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IIRC you look for the 2 channel PCM ones with the high bitrate but as for different masters and mixes in the same format, yeah, you're playing blind there.

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yup.I was lucky with Fragile because most of the album versions had different number of tracks so I could work out which was which from the liner notes. But I'm now ripping Close to the Edge and there's only 3 tracks so a bit more tricky. But working it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles