RIP Tony Joe White. Let's celebrate his music.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I managed to see him live many years ago. “Groupie Girl” was my favourite of his.

Sad news. :RIP:

Naimkiller

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2015
Hampshire
AKA
Shan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sad indeed, 

I'm a wee bit late to the bus  I've only  just started listening to his music the past year, 

The path of a decent groove is my favourite album at this time many more to enjoy I guess. 

R. I. P

S

grimep

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2009
Surrey, United Kingd
AKA
Graham
Very belated RIP, heard about it a week or so after he passed.

Back when I was a teen in the mid 80s a friend appeared one day with a bunch of TJW on cassette, and we were instantly hooked. Groupie Girl, Stud Spider, Willie & Laura Mae Jones, amazing stuff. 

Reactions: deggie

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only discovered him fairly recently, did not realise he died in 2018. Love his early albums such as Tony Joe White, The Train I’m On and Home Made Icecream, also some of his later albums are pretty good.

Should be better known.

Reactions: Moomintroll

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just ordered the following which covers his early albums as mentioned . Please note for the real purists this is a double CD with all the tracks on them not three individual albums if that makes a difference to you saves you checking .

[URL]https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QG6ID74/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]
Not a bad deal, I went to order The Train I'm On, as it was reissued last week at £7.99 but it sold out straight away and then came back a few days later at a much higher price. I don't buy many cds now.

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Discovered him last year, thanks to a Qobuz recommendation.

Superb.

Listening to Smoke From The Chimney is like understanding Nick Cave's childhood!

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still have a rigid policy about buying CD's which I made when they first arrived . It is that I will never pay more than £10 for any single CD and I have kept to this as the above is three albums that divided in to the price keeps it under the tenner an album . I have to confess I still buy about 10-15 CD's a week normally used either off amazon (getting more expensive now) e-bay still lots under £3 and sites like Music Magpie and World Books .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still have a rigid policy about buying CD's which I made when they first arrived . It is that I will never pay more than £10 for any single CD and I have kept to this as the above is three albums that divided in to the price keeps it under the tenner an album . I have to confess I still buy about 10-15 CD's a week normally used either off amazon (getting more expensive now) e-bay still lots under £3 and sites like Music Magpie and World Books .
Not a bad rule, I did make the mistake of ordering a cd from the USA once, won't be doing that again. I have bought some downloads as cds not available or too expensive. The Train I'm On cd was over £70 before they reissued it. Quite a few cds I look at to buy are high prices.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@StingRay If you have a music Library (I rip all my CD's to an HD and play from that but I keep the CD's) then I would always suggest that you have a search of the Download Store on Qobuz . Often they have a CD quality download of some often obscure albums are available for more sensible prices and while there are some that stray well over the £10 mark they do offer an alternative source .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@StingRay If you have a music Library (I rip all my CD's to an HD and play from that but I keep the CD's) then I would always suggest that you have a search of the Download Store on Qobuz . Often they have a CD quality download of some often obscure albums are available for more sensible prices and while there are some that stray well over the £10 mark they do offer an alternative source .
Thanks, that's where I look as well as Bandcamp. Not a huge library and I'm looking to sell many cds as I don't play them anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles