• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

ripping & storing 2 versions of CDs

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there an easy way to rip and store both highest quality (flac?) and compressed (mp3?) versions of albums? Some albums I have are for "hifi" listening, some are for the kids' mp3 players, some for both.  I rip CDs in dbpoweramp, then in itunes make an mp3 conversion. But i then end up with the album in itunes showing 2 of each track. I guess i need two "libraries" - an mp3 one and a "hifi" one? 

jamster

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2010
Lichfield
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have two folder structures, one for ALAC* and one for MP3.

Use the multi-encoder function of DBPowerAmp to rip a copy of the CD to each folder in the different format.
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/multiencoder.htm

Import the ALAC folder into iTunes.

Don't bother adding the mp3s to iTunes.  :)    Just drag and drop them directly to the kids' mp3 players from the folder structure.

* rather than FLAC, as iTunes doesn't like FLAC or at least never used to.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Alternatively you can create a new "mp3" iTunes Library, import all ALAC/AIFF, convert to mp3, delete ALAC/AIFF.

But if your kids have iPods then there's the option to sync compressed files:

bZOyCjV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackmetalboon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 1, 2015
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It looks like the option of creating a new library for MP3’s, as suggested above, will be the easiest option.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the help ... i'll properly digest the options later on.  I'm not particularly wedded to iTunes (it just happens to be a nice interface, and I've used since first having an ipod). Are there any more "hifi" options around? I could keep iTunes for mp3s for wife and kids, and have flac files via an alternative.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the help ... i'll properly digest the options later on.  I'm not particularly wedded to iTunes (it just happens to be a nice interface, and I've used since first having an ipod). Are there any more "hifi" options around? I could keep iTunes for mp3s for wife and kids, and have flac files via an alternative.
The cheapest option is to add BitPerfect to iTunes and improve its performance:

https://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/

But iTunes doesn't read FLAC.

There's also Audirvana and JRiver.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there an easy way to rip and store both highest quality (flac?) and compressed (mp3?) versions of albums? Some albums I have are for "hifi" listening, some are for the kids' mp3 players, some for both.  I rip CDs in dbpoweramp, then in itunes make an mp3 conversion. But i then end up with the album in itunes showing 2 of each track. I guess i need two "libraries" - an mp3 one and a "hifi" one? 
I have three users set up on my iMac, a normal ‘rdale’ one and another two others, iTunes_AIFF and iTunes_ALAC. On a large external hard disk there are three top level folders ‘Staging’, ‘AIFF’ and ‘ALAC’ which contain the iTunes collections for each of the three users. The Staging collection is temporary and only contains what I’ve just ripped. When I rip CDs I login as ‘rdale’ and use XLD to rip into the Staging iTunes collection as AIFF. Then I login as iTunes_AIFF and import the new tracks with the iTunes ‘Add to library’ menu option. After that I login as iTunes_ALAC and use XLD to import the AIFF Staging tracks converted to ALAC.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have three users set up on my iMac, a normal ‘rdale’ one and another two others, iTunes_AIFF and iTunes_ALAC. On a large external hard disk there are three top level folders ‘Staging’, ‘AIFF’ and ‘ALAC’ which contain the iTunes collections for each of the three users. The Staging collection is temporary and only contains what I’ve just ripped. When I rip CDs I login as ‘rdale’ and use XLD to rip into the Staging iTunes collection as AIFF. Then I login as iTunes_AIFF and import the new tracks with the iTunes ‘Add to library’ menu option. After that I login as iTunes_ALAC and use XLD to import the AIFF Staging tracks converted to ALAC.
Why do you need multiple users?

You can have as many iTunes libraries as you like.

I have one for Jazz, one for Rock, one for Soundtracks, one for Ethnic and Traditional, one for Classical, one for Sacra, one for Opera and for Minimal, and one with Test tracks (from commercial to DIY recordings to test signals to stuff I wouldn't listen for pleasure).

Edit: I open iTunes by holding-down ALT while clicking on the icon; this brings up a Choose iTunes Library dialogue box from where I can select the library I wish to listen from.

HT1589_02-osx-new_library-002-en.png

Last edited by a moderator:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why do you need multiple users?

You can have as many iTunes libraries as you like.

I have one for Jazz, one for Rock, one for Soundtracks, one for Ethnic and Traditional, one for Classical, one for Sacra, one for Opera and for Minimal, and one with Test tracks (from commercial to DIY recordings to test signals to stuff I wouldn't listen for pleasure).

Edit: I open iTunes by holding-down ALT while clicking on the icon; this brings up a Choose iTunes Library dialogue box from where I can select the library I wish to listen from.

To minimise the chance of things going wrong. I don’t use any of the libraries for listening, as I use iTunes only for creating trees of folders with the music tracks in them. The AIFF and ALAC directory hierarchies are on the iMac are copied to various disks in Linux ext4 format which I use for listening.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxfordshire, UK
AKA
Ric
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To minimise the chance of things going wrong. I don’t use any of the libraries for listening, as I use iTunes only for creating trees of folders with the music tracks in them. The AIFF and ALAC directory hierarchies are on the iMac are copied to various disks in Linux ext4 format which I use for listening.
Better safe. :^

iTunes librarian capabilities are quite good as is the file browser. I go a step further than you and use iTunes for browsing, then drag-drop track or albums into HQPlayer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj10au