• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

rotel

bommer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
1,172
4
0
STEVENAGE
AKA
JOHN
what do you guy's think of there products?

are they any good basically,fancy a change i do.

any better than musical fidelity?

cheers.

 

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
6,491
8
0
Cambs, , United King
doesn't their range mostly fall below that of the MF 308 kit?

I think they make nice budget stuff, not convinced it would even be better than the MF X-Series.

 

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
2,212
1
83
United Kingdom
Their budget stuff is pretty good in my experience. Not had any experience with their more expensive stuff, but I remember the stuff with grab handles quite appealing.

 
G

Guest

Guest
Biscuit wrote:

doesn't their range mostly fall below that of the MF 308 kit?I think they make nice budget stuff, not convinced it would even be better than the MF X-Series.
just because it's cheap biscuit doesn't mean it sounds no good you know. most many k systems i've heard sound crap. never judge a product on it's status or price.

 

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
6,491
8
0
Cambs, , United King
whats their top-end look like? Not heard much about it (whoops my facade of liking Jap hifi has been cracked
biggrin.png
). Will have to go check their website!

 
E

earl of sodbury

Guest
Tried the 01 / 02 series stuff during my previous round of kit-buying and it wasn't match for the slightly cheaper NAD and Cambridge stuff - a bit bleak and in-your-face for my tastes.

But hell, whadda I know? I actually like Musical Fidelity's products...
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif
knobhead.gif.1aeed4448a75af39cdfcbc1c618d08b5.gif


Bommer, what sort of a change are you looking for?

If it's a different sound there's lots to choose from - something from Exposure would give you more of the Naim flavour without the opprobium resulting from owning kit that has the temerity to be popular.

Sugden and Sonneteer produce some lovely kit that isn't hamstrung by being excessively well reviewed and widely purchased.

Or a short trip over the North Sea offers the likes of Densen, Electrocompanietor Thule for well-priced and excellently performing kit that not too many people own...

Apologies if I've put a bit of a slant on the above, all the kit named I actually really like, but as you might notice, I'm getting just a tad bored of the endless slagging MF kit gets...

churz, eofs

 
G

Guest

Guest
bommer wrote:

no it's not their budget stuff that interest's me,it's the top end of their stuff.
i've had a couple a few years back and from what i can remember nice and warm and not at all harsh.

 

bommer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
1,172
4
0
STEVENAGE
AKA
JOHN
rudolph hucker wrote:

bommer wrote:
no it's not their budget stuff that interest's me,it's the top end of their stuff.
i've had a couple a few years back and from what i can remember nice and warm and not at all harsh.
just want a bit of prat really:D

got about 3k to spend:Not Sure:

cdp,pre/power or intergrated.

 
G

Guest

Guest
go borrow some from a bada dealer then, try at home it's the only way to do it.

DO NOT BUY ON HEARSY OR THEM HIFI MAGS( THEY SPROUT A LOAD OF SHITE)

 

bommer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
1,172
4
0
STEVENAGE
AKA
JOHN
rudolph hucker wrote:

go borrow some from a bada dealer then, try at home it's the only way to do it.DO NOT BUY ON HEARSY OR THEM HIFI MAGS( THEY SPROUT A LOAD OF SHITE)
good advice rudolph,i might just do that.

 
G

Guest

Guest
Rotel is good kit at its price range. At the budget end it does the Pitch Rhythm and Timing thing rather well. However, if you have a bitmore money to spend I'd go for Rega or Densen.

Tried the 01 / 02 series stuff during my previous round of kit-buying and it wasn't match for the slightly cheaper NAD and Cambridge stuff - a bit bleak and in-your-face for my tastes.
I had a hard time believing this until I read...

But hell, whadda I know? I actually like Musical Fidelity's products...
Now it all makes sense. Despite the name, MF actually has a hard time reproducing musical threads. Tunes seem to disappear, and note pitch/separation is poor indeed.

Alll imvho of course.

Why anyone would buy expensive hi-fi that can't carry a tune is beyond me.

 

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
32,264
552
173
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hate to reccomend my own kit so soon after buying it, but my Copland does prat really well, and it couples it with that nice liquid detail I remember from your 308 CDP.

The latest one a la Whitter is £1750.00, plenty of change for CD's and beer. It would be interesting to put even my older model Copland up against your current CDP. I am really confident thet later model would do the business. Are you comming to the Jan bake off?

JAmes,

 
E

earl of sodbury

Guest
Steve Toy wrote:

Rotel is good kit at its price range. At the budget end it does the Pitch Rhythm and Timing thing rather well. However, if you have a bitmore money to spend I'd go for Rega or Densen.
Tried the 01 / 02 series stuff during my previous round of kit-buying and it wasn't match for the slightly cheaper NAD and Cambridge stuff - a bit bleak and in-your-face for my tastes.
I had a hard time believing this until I read...

But hell, whadda I know? I actually like Musical Fidelity's products...
Now it all makes sense. Despite the name, MF actually has a hard time reproducing musical threads. Tunes seem to disappear, and note pitch/separation is poor indeed.

Alll imvho of course.

Why anyone would buy expensive hi-fi that can't carry a tune is beyond me.
Gosh, for a moment there I was entertaining the possibility we might all have different tastes, but no, you're right -MF kit just doesn't work at-all. Those lights are just for show, the rest was all in my imagination! How did I ever imagine that was music!? 25 years of concert-going wasted, cause I'm obviously fucking deaf! What a fool I've been
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif
knobhead.gif.1aeed4448a75af39cdfcbc1c618d08b5.gif
happens.gif.785a5c135e9ec27adf265d18872281b7.gif


Finally! I have seen the (bright green) light! I see the error of my ways! Braise the Lard!

Anyone got the number of an Alba clock radio dealer?

 

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
32,264
552
173
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know what, I take the p out of MF, for a laugh. The same way most people take the p out of Naim on here (i no longer have any, phew).

But to make a sweeping statement like Steve Toys above, regarding a brand that has hooked many an audiophool into it's charms is bravado at best, and inviting the mother of all flamings at worst.

You is mad mate.

Now excuse me while I run for cover..
allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif


 
P

purplepleaser

Guest
Hi Bommer,

If you have £3000.00 to spend have a look at the Sugden Bijou range. My cdp,pre/headphone amp and Musicmaster costs at £3200.00. They also do a cheaper amp which actually has more power at about £700.00

It has an amazing sound. The Musicmaster is a better bet for sound but the cheaper ampmaster has more grunt.

Kiang has heard the Musicmaster and really liked it.

Just a thought as I have not heard any Rotel.

Sorry to butt in on your thread.

Lee

 
P

purplepleaser

Guest
Bommer, you will hear my Sugden(crap) at the bake off.

Its the going to be the best sounding there.
tongue.png
:rofl:

:minikiev:

Lee

 

Forum statistics

Threads
108,079
Messages
2,288,262
Members
69,154
Latest member
kawuschel