Royal Ascot 2019

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For someone who lives close to Epsom downs, horse racing is a real bind. Not only the additional traffic but we also have to deal with travelers setting up camp a week or so before. Our little village can't handle any of it.

My sis-in-law works for a private school in Ascot and suffers the same problem. A car journey that normally takes 20 mins or thereabouts generally takes over an hour.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For someone who lives close to Epsom downs, horse racing is a real bind. Not only the additional traffic but we also have to deal with travelers setting up camp a week or so before. Our little village can't handle any of it.

My sis-in-law works for a private school in Ascot and suffers the same problem. A car journey that normally takes 20 mins or thereabouts generally takes over an hour.
I take your point, and anyone in West Sussex who travels between Portsmouth and Worthing would share your views when the Festival Of Speed is on. Our road system is out of date. But where would Ascot and Epsom be in the nation's psyche if they had never had racecourses?

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive topped up on Masar to win the Prince Of Wales having put 2 and 2 together : the race he was withdrawn from following injury last season was the Eclipse Stakes run over 1.25m (the same distance as the Prince Of Wales). Also Godolfin horses tend to run very well returning from an absence.

And note well Masar is entered for this year's Eclipse at Sandown on the 6th July.

I personally think he will have his work cut out to beat the 2 fillies ahead of him in the market -Sea Of Class and Magical. But Sea Of Class hasnt run this year and her main target will be the Arc (which she should have won bar the draw). Magical is also engaged elsewhere. And I have 10/1 and 9.5/1 compared with 3/1 and 5/2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: antonio66

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I take your point, and anyone in West Sussex who travels between Portsmouth and Worthing would share your views when the Festival Of Speed is on. Our road system is out of date. But where would Ascot and Epsom be in the nation's psyche if they had never had racecourses?
Can't answer that question. I wouldn't want to ban, even though I think horse racing is unethical, but there needs to be better management. Unlike most other sports or big sporting occasions, where it is generally a one-off game or event, events such as the Derby and Ascot goes on all week.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I would think myself lucky if I could live near Ascot.  :)   Your problem with travellers and traffic are not a horse racing problem but local council/police surely.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Antonio - Masar is on the drift for the Prince Of Wales I noticed. This could be just that Haggis's filly, Sea Of Class,  is a definite runner and Masar has another option.  It might be the rain that is causing loss of confidence or that it hasnt worked well in its last gallop. Connections might keep their powder dry for the Eclipse. Im not feeling lucky, having seen Zabeel Prince an absentee from the Queen Anne. Bah!

On the bright side It seems Kew Gardens will opt for the Gold Cup.

Jack

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good man Antonio - that's value (KG @ 12).

More gloom as Masar is out of the PoW (Their stable jock elects to ride Sea Of Class - which prompts the question are Godolphin in the market for Sea Of Class, or have they already secured the filly (for breeding)?)

Ive taken a precautionay stake in both Zabeel Prince and Masar for the Eclipse. Masar may yet dodge the whole meeting as they already have a horse in the Hardwicke. The owners may think they need more time and are unsure if he will handle the soft ground at this meeting so his reappearance may be delayed till the Eclipse. He will be a fresh horse facing animals who may have had a hard race at Ascot. Sea Of Class wont run states Haggis (if she goes for the POW) so Enable may be the only other major player. In which case Masar goes off 5/1 in a race he was targetting last year b4 injury. Zabeel Prince im keeping honest, expecting him to place in the POW w/o having a hard race.

We have money in the Royal Ascot account as Calyx is not running but losses thro Zabeel Prince (£22) being a non in the Queen Anne, and Masar in the POW are disappointing.

Ill investigate laying Crystal Ocean.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I havent played tomorrow - day 1.

I dont like the card.

The problem is, having had their prep races everything is lying doggo till the big day, so the form hasnt been allowed to develop in the normal way. There's little to go on.

I have a couple I want to lay and I'm waiting for the Betfair market to become more liquid and for the pundits to come down heavily in favour of something I dont fancy.

(You can rely on Matt Chapman to pick a sexy favourite from a big yard that's got no figures.)

Also - what's the weather going to do?

My MO will be to analyse the race results quickly for implications later on at the meeting. And then pounce before anyone realises what is happening.

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yippee - Royal Ascot Day 1.

2 30 Queen Anne 1 mile older horses: Ive discussed this race above. Suffice it to say the time of the Lockinge (the traditional trial for the QA) indicates it was a poor race which paves  the way for an upset. However the likes of Le Brivido and Barney Roy have not impressed on the clock either. A lottery and a bunch finish likely.

3 05 Coventry Stakes 6F 2 y.o early season championship: Not enough to go on to even think about a bet. 2 year olds are capable of up to 10lbs of improvement race to race. The Coventry is normally farmed by the powerful O'Brien stable.

3 40 Kings Stand : Last years 1,2,3 return and are the first 3 in the betting today with Batash (last year's runner up) favoured. Speed figures were 74 Blue Point, 72 Battash, and 70 Mab's Cross last year. Its hard to see past them but Soldier's Call was only caught close home in the Abbaye last year and just might last home for a place - SC returned a creditable 72  when giving weight in a briskly run Listed race won by Garrus at York (16/5).

4 20 St James Palace Stakes , 3 y.o mile Championship. This is the traditional next stop for i mile classic generation following the Guineas. Our 2000 guineas looks weak and the betting is dominated by the IRISH Guineas 1,2. I dont see why Too Darn Hot should reverse so Philip Of Spain looks a worthy fav. However, the Curragh time was nothing special. You have been warned! I'd be interested in the French contender but Shaman's Group 1 second doesnt look strong enough. Another 'leave'.

5 00 Ascot Stakes 2.5m handicap - now seems to go to an NH horse as they have the necessary stamina and a low flat mark. Irish a big threat. Other than that its a toss up. Not for me.

5 35 5F Listed for 2 year olds. Wesley Ward's selected has to be considered. Im not interested. Will tell us something about the left to right track bias if that hasnt already been discovered. (There always is one.). I have no reliable time figures and the form is only nascent. No bet.

Getting Out Stakes: Wolferton. Mix of disappointing Group horses and up and coming handicappers trying their luck in a group race. Catching the eye is Magic Wand who looks different gear at its best. Hard to know what to make of her foreign form (the Meydan foray was disappointing and horses returning from there have bombed this year).

Its a watching day - not hard for me. Im already looking over the meeting's shoulder to Wednesday where I am in the process of laying a couple. (More later..)

Good luck if you're punting today...

Jack NSM

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
The first day is always my favourite although very difficult today and will not be pushing the boat out, although a few small bets to keep me interested when watching on the tv. The one horse I do fancy is Laurens in the 2.30 and I thought value at 6/1.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive changed my mind about having a bet in tomorrow's Prince Of Wales - with the rain coming (which will harm Sea Of Class) I think Zabeel Prince has a squeak even though this is harder than the Queen Anne today from which it was withdrawn.. 12/1 is still available. 1 point win.

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have laid Rawdaa in tomorrow's  1.25m at  4 20 . There are 2 horses in the race who hold Rawdaa on AW form and I Can Fly is in there for the O'Brien team. I doubt Rawdaa is the best horse in the race - he was plying his trade in handicaps last year and the second to Lah Ti Dah doesnt look as good now as it did then. He has a speed figure of 64 which is less than Agrotera at 66, Anna Nerium (68),  and I can Fly (70, 2018) and 2 others. Despite Sun Maiden seemingly franking the form of the LTD race that was completed in slow time and Nyaleti, in 4th, was well beaten n.t.o.

I failed to lay Crystal Ocean as it drifted from a price I wanted to lay it at.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Kew Gardens does not appear amongst the runners in the Gold Cup.
I was going to mention that, a little disappointing, but connections must think 2.5 miles is just too big a jump up in distance.

Laurens did not run her best race yesterday, seemed to be going well, but when push came to shove she did not seem to have much left in the tank. Did manage to find a couple of winners, Blue Point and Addeybb.

Just waiting to see the true going, conflicting reports so far, although I think it will be softer than they are admitting to.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bound to be soft, as you say, Antonio. Well done with your 2 winners.

Im feeling a bit let down as all 3 of my ante post bets are nons. The only saving grace is Calyx, who also is a non, but I laid that one.

Ive laid 2 horses today - Rawdaa, see above, and the Ripon winning Hunt Cup fav New Graduate who hasnt got a 'snowballs' and whom I laid a couple of days ago (small).

My hope for today is Zabeel Prince who will outrun his price but will find one of the 2018 Arc runners too good, I suspect.

Happy to watch the action today and observe the pundits struggling ( a favourite pastime - I like to spot the 'ummers' and count the times they say 'obviously'. My favourite is David Yates from the Mirror (hilarious).

Just noticed that Sands Of Mali is still  in the Diamond Jubilee, and,  getting its ground, surely this ante post bet will get to the post.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Rain coming quite heavy just before the first race. I feel sorry for all those who have attended and made the effort to dress up.

Just one thing regarding the going, you can always tell when Stikels (Clerk of the Course) is lying, his mouth moves and sound comes out.  :D

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2-3L advantage to middle to high numbers after Queen Mary. Kimari a bit unlucky - would have lasted home on good ground. New Graduate drifting for the Hunt Cup (draw 1).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles