Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The A-Class Mercedes was becoming a strong favourite for my new car. I had another drive last Saturday and really liked it. And then I found that, not only did it not have a spare wheel, but it also didn't even have a place where one should go. The MB guy said that it comes with run-flat tyres, so it didn't need one. I wasn't convinced, so the A-Class dropped from pole position to the back of the grid. Everyone else offers a space-saver as an option, except (I think) BMW, but then I was never going to buy a BMW anyway. From what I've read, run-flats are not the most brilliant of ideas, in that, if the car's suspension is set up for their characteristics, you can never use any other type of tyre. Has anyone any experience of them?

stormyuklondon1

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2006
AKA
Scott
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The wifes got Bridgestone run flats on her Z4. Eye wateringly expensive and bloody hard. When they needed replacing, I tried to convince her to go with regular tyres but she insisted due to the extra security as she's got a long commute.

Brumjam

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2009
Birmingham
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got run flats on my car. They're very expensive but I got 45,000 miles from a set. The ride quality is very good considering they're 19 inch and the same profile as a rubber band. BMW confirmed that the suspension is tuned for the tyres, so although standard tyres could be fitted it would require suspension adjustments.

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have owned three BMWs, two 5 series, and the last one a 1 series with run flats. The drive was hard to say the least. I got a puncture in the Scottish Borders, miles from anywhere. I had to crawl home, about 40/50 miles at slow speed till I was in a position to replace it. I vowed never to have another car if they were fitted. So far I've stuck by my word.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They offer a firm ride and are expensive to replace. Plus, it must be said, the experience when 'running them flat' leaves a lot to be desired. I used to think spacesavers were the devil's spawn but runflats now take that accolade. It's a cheap way for the manufacturer to save money and it stinks. Their excuse is that we get more boot space and that our cars perform better due to the shaved weight. Utter crap. Give me a proper spare! :grrr:

I can (just about) remember when you bought a car with alloys and even the spare was an alloy. That's how it should be IMO. Far more user-friendly and cost effective. Get a flat, bung the spare on, get the flat fixed (with a tyre of your choice) at your leisure and then throw that back in the boot. :^

S

s2000db

Of course you can run normal tyres instead of run flats, after all there's no problem in putting winter tyres on a car, and they're not run flats....

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
I used to run run-flat Bridgestones on my 3-series. Hard, noisy, reduced handling. Bloody expensive. I have since replaced them with Goodyear F1. Way better and cheaper. Plus, one of my run-flats blew up in the Moracha river canyon in Montenegro. It not just got punctured - it practically melted after 200 yards!!! In the middle of fucking nowhere. Avoid!

S

s2000db

Tbh, there's not actually that much difference in ride quality between my run flats, and winter tyres on my 5 series...

And the run flats are on 19" wheels, the winters on 18" wheels... So go figure??

Oh and the winters come with a can of tyre weld..

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got run flats on my car. They're very expensive but I got 45,000 miles from a set.
I don't have run flats on my Honda but mates who have bm's with them get shot asap, my S2 is at 15k miles and soon needing second set of rears and a set of fronts, don't you have corners where you are.? Then again my car is often driven like I stole it.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tbh, there's not actually that much difference in ride quality between my run flats, and winter tyres on my 5 series... And the run flats are on 19" wheels, the winters on 18" wheels... So go figure??

Oh and the winters come with a can of tyre weld..
But are the winter tyres not also run-flat types?

S

s2000db

But are the winter tyres not also run-flat types?
Nope they're just standard Conti's..

- - - Updated - - -

Hence the can of tyre weld.. ;-)

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a BMW which comes as standard with non run-flat tyres (and a can of tyre weld).

A buyer can specify the same car with run-flat tyres. I wonder if BMW modifies the car's suspension for this different configuration? :?

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have owned three BMWs, two 5 series, and the last one a 1 series with run flats. The drive was hard to say the least. I got a puncture in the Scottish Borders, miles from anywhere. I had to crawl home, about 40/50 miles at slow speed till I was in a position to replace it. I vowed never to have another car if they were fitted. So far I've stuck by my word.
Bugga! I'm sitting in the local dealer, about to have a flat tyre replaced :doh: .

M4RK5

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2008
Sunny Scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, my folks have a B class 180CDI Sport, they got it in October and it has run flats too, I have driven it a number of times and the ride is surprisingly compliant, I was a bit worried that the ride might be too hard with them on, but its ok, my folks have got about 1500 miles on it now, and they love the car......and they're getting 60+mpg too, must admit it's a nice machine, very well screwed together as well.

V

Voice_Coil

The A-Class Mercedes was becoming a strong favourite for my new car. I had another drive last Saturday and really liked it. And then I found that, not only did it not have a spare wheel, but it also didn't even have a place where one should go. The MB guy said that it comes with run-flat tyres, so it didn't need one. I wasn't convinced, so the A-Class dropped from pole position to the back of the grid. Everyone else offers a space-saver as an option, except (I think) BMW, but then I was never going to buy a BMW anyway. From what I've read, run-flats are not the most brilliant of ideas, in that, if the car's suspension is set up for their characteristics, you can never use any other type of tyre. Has anyone any experience of them?
I have, and they are not worth the hassle, you can only do a max of 50 miles on one that has a puncture....and a max of 50 mph, so basically as soon as you get a puncture you need to replace it anyway, any other tyre you can usually get it repaired for a tenner.

I sold 4 brand new run flat tyres 3 years ago for 100 quid, yet they cost me a shit load more than that.

bottom line, dont bother.

Clubsport911

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
Cheltenham
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mrs has got a BMW mini with run flats. Thought about replacing them plenty of times but.. Consider this....

No flats in 12 years

Obscence life...very long

Mini has Sports Suspension.... Very jiggly ride but ok

getting them for about £75 each (black circles.com)

They seem fine by me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.