Wammer
Wammer
Sep 25, 2005
Wakefield
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just had a go at making a Sacher Torte as a dessert for Xmas eve dinner. It hasn't turned out as I had hoped, but is edible- I think. 

I came across a Mary Berry recipe on the BBC website.It looked fine but Googled to find out more about this cake. A proper sacher torte should have a very smooth coating of chocolate icing whereas Mary Berry's icing is applied with a spatula and has rough but still attractive finish. I decided to go with Mary's cake recipe but for the icing went with a recipe on youtube. The cake recipe was fine but the icing proved to be a little disastrous. Having brought a suger and water mixture to 112 cent. take the pan off the heat and then add the chocolate, which has been broken into small pieces.and stir very quickly to melt the chocolate. According to the video you pour the very liquid mixture onto the cake. It should spread over the top of the cake and down the sides thus giving the cake its characteristic exceptionally smooth finish. When I tried it the mixture was very liquidy for a very short time and then thicked up- too thick to even a apply with a palette knife!!! So I then put the pan with the chocolate mixture in it into a saute pan of boiling water to loosen up the chocolate. I also added butter to help thin the  mixture which I was able to apply with a spatula- but only just.

Anybody here tried making one of these cakes?

Should I try this again I think I will keep the sugar/water mix on the heat, melt the chocolate in the usual way and then add to the sugar and work as quickly as possible in a very warm kitchen.

Having googled a bit more since making the cake there are apparently some secrets kept back by the Austrian hotel that makes it.

Bloody Youtube videos!

J Macquarrie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 28, 2015
Hertfordshire
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The traditional is a satin glaze icing, I'd go with that as it should be easier. Google that and you should find an easier method. At least that's what I did and it was ok. You should be able to pour the icing over the cake. Sounds like Mary was going for a cross between the traditional satin glaze and a fudge frosting.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

paularcher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 25, 2005
Wakefield
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that. I googled satin glaze as you suggested and from what I found it would seem to be for drizzling, but perhaps I should keep looking further.

In the same search. I came across a chocolate mirror glaze which looks promising. When and if there is a next time the question will be whether to go with my original recipe with modifications or the completely different mirror glaze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles